The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Conc Curls are awesome, I love them. Nice bicep work man. Hope the quad is gettin better.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Good sets with the legs, curls and cardio...wish you the best as you raise up.

Journal Entry
    Saturday, June 9, 2007

Nutrition

Eggs, oats and chicken. Oh my!

Click Here For FitDay Entry

Exercise

Upper Body Vertical / Calves / Abs / GPP

Stuck with the form and speed discipline today, so all my weights pretty much stayed the same or dropped. Last week I felt like I ramped up weight too quickly on my pull ups and military presses, so this week I toned it down a bit and got in more quality reps.

Pull Ups
    +0 x 5
    +0 x 5
    +20 x 5
    +30 x 4
    +20 x 4
    +0 x 5

Military Press
    65 x 10
    115 x 5
    135 x 4
    105 x 5
    125 x 5
    135 x 4

Simply couldn't eek out a fifth rep at 135 to save my life. >.<

Side Lateral Raises
    12's x 8
    12's x 8
    15's x 8

Last set ended a little sloppy. I had to cheat the last two reps up just to get a decent negative, but I couldn't hold them. I had been holding the contraction prior to that.

Overhead Cable Straight-Armed Pull Downs
    60 x 8
    90 x 8
    110 x 8
    130 x 8

I did these instead of lying barbell pull overs. If you're having trouble picturing it, just imagine doing a similar motion to a lying pull over, but instead of a barbell you have a shoulder-width T-bar on a cable, standing with your back against the stack frame and the pulley over your head. I felt like I was able to hit my lats with more weight using this method than with the pull overs. Last week the pull overs made something in my shoulders mighty uncomfortable at the limit of my ROM.

Standing Calf Raises
    200 x 10
    340 x 5
    380 x 5
    420 x 5
    460 x 5
    500 x 5

Weighted Abs
    45 x 10
    95 x 8
    115 x 8
    125 x 8

Ab machines suck. This one makes my lower back feel weird and I've already maxed the stack, so next week I'm going to start doing regular crunches with plates on my chest again. I stopped using the plates because it was kind of a pain to stack plates on my chest without a training partner to help. LOL

Knee Raises
    3 Sets x 8 Reps

Twist Crunches
    3 Sets x 20 Reps x 2 Sides

SS PWO Cardio
    15 Minute Elliptical Run, Med-High Effort

GPP
    I've been complaining about my static grip strength for a while, so I decided to do some GPP-style grip exercises after I was done with my normal workout today. This was a lot of fun, but in the future I think I will do this on squat and bicep day since I am not doing any heavy lifts that are grip intensive that day and it gives me a day to rest my grip before I need it again.

These exercises were supersetted as paired rounds with short (30 second or less) breaks in between each of the five rounds.

Towel Grip Farmer's Walk
    35 lb. Plates x 90 secs
    45 lb. Plates x 60 secs x 4 Rounds

Double Plate Pinch Grip Farmer's Walk
    2.5 lb. Plates x 60 secs x 2 Rounds
    5 lb. Plates x 60 secs x 3 Rounds

I felt a little silly marching around the gym in circles doing the farmer's walk stuff, but it was a fun departure from the usual movements.

Random Thoughts

Last edited by Noxon; 06-09-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Use a heavy dumbbell on its flat end instead of stacking plates. Try your ab work over a bosu ball this way. I did my crunches last night on a bosu ball with a 70-lb dumbbell on my chest and it worked fine.

But bosu balls are for cardiochicas! And indoor kickball games. (Very entertaining for throw-tag rules!!!)

lol.. ok, I'll give it a shot. You haven't failed me yet.

It lets you get a greater ROM than lying flat, but is more stable than the swiss ball most people implement for this purpose - a consideration when you're load half your own weight just under your throat!

Oops, I was actually confusing the bosu balls for swiss balls. My bad. Kickball with a bosu ball would hurt! Kickball with the swiss balls, now that is entertainment and a half when someone is "tagged" clean off their feet.

Somehow I get the feeling that I should wear my Disco Rob outfit if I come within ten feet of one of these things. lol

My gym has swiss balls, but no bosu balls... But now that I see what you were talking about, I sort of improvise something similar using a step platform and a bunch of folded towels. hehe

Don't even bother with the platform. Roll a couple of thick towels into a tight roll, shove it under the base of your spine, and do them that way. That's the other way I do these. I'm just lazy and the bosu ball is RIGHT THERE.

Plus I love the looks I get when I grab the bosu ball. The guys probably figure I'm getting set for toning class or somthing. Then I set it down in front of the dumbbells, grab a seventy, and do my crunches ...

lol, I can see the entertainment factor there.

I feel inspired. The next time I do my farmer's walks, I should do them on a treadmill for the sheer absurdity of it. I can just imagine the look on Mrs. Cardio Queen's face when I go marching on the hamster wheel with towels full of plates.

I defintely wanna do some farmer walks, but like you said I think I will look stupid. Nice workout though, keep concentrating on that form.
    [Journal | My Diet]

Quote Originally Posted by Howard 9 View Post
    I defintely wanna do some farmer walks, but like you said I think I will look stupid. Nice workout though, keep concentrating on that form.
    I hate to get all Nike on ya, but: Just do it! The same people that look sideways and snicker will come up to you and start asking questions when they see every vein in your forearm bulging like a mofo and you huffing around on your third lap with the plates in tow. The best reasons, though, are that it is a fun change of pace and an awesome static grip workout.

It definitely makes things a little more interesting. I'm looking forward to doing more of this as part of my weekly routine.

Damn, you even got some farmer's walks in here, lol...on your way with the millies and all in that effort.

Journal Entry
    Saturday, June 10, 2007

Nutrition

This morning I made some kind of bizarre concoction with cottage cheese, chocolate Nitrean, plain yogurt, Splenda, skim milk and whole oats. It tasted like crap but I ate it proudly. Hahahaha.

Exercise

Hamstring Dominant Legs / Quad Accessory / Tri's n' Dips

Had a great workout today. The past couple of days I have been drinking my workout shake DURING the workout rather than afterwards, and I feel so much better. I am never going without a dex+protein shake again during my workouts. I've also been better about eating some oats a couple of hours before my workout, which I think also helps with my energy level. These past couple of days I have finished my routine and not wanted to leave! I had to convince myself that doing more farmer's walks today would be detrimental on my cut.

Oh, they were painting the showers today so I couldn't take a shower. That always sucks. :evillaugh

RDLs
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5 x 3 +Weight +Sets

GMs
    95 x 8
    115 x 8
    135 x 8 +Weight

Kind of settling into a steady progressive incline on both RDLs and GMs. Next week I am going to shoot for 195 x 5 and 235 x 5 x 3 on the RDLs and probably keep the GMs where they're at while I work on not favoring my right leg. Both of these exercises target the stuff in my left leg that I tore up a year ago, and I've noticed that I am subconsciously favoring my right leg when I do the GMs. It's not that it hurts my left leg... I just got so accustomed to favoring my right because it took my left a long time to heal. Even my standing posture is off a little bit, where I tend to put most of my weight on my right leg. Very hard to overcome this since it's not something I really think about.

Leg Extensions
    50 x 8 x 2
    60 x 8 x 2
    70 x 8 x 2 +Weight

Slow n' steady. Quads felt fantastic today, and the bruise cleared up after a day or two this past week. I still can't decide if I really did strain the muscle or if it was just coincidence. I didn't want to take chances with it, though. Still going to squat and pull light next week and just take those slower in general.

Dip Station
    +0 x 8
    +20 x 8
    +40 x 8 +Weight +Reps

Lying Tricep Extensions
    55 x 8
    65 x 8
    70 x 6.5 +Weight -Reps

SS PWO Cardio
    15 Minute Elliptical Run, Med-High Effort

Random Thoughts

Thanks to all for the feedback! It really makes it easier to keep at the journal, which has proven to be tremendously useful as far as sticking to my routines. I can officially say that I quit smoking and LOST body fat at the same time. To hell with the status quo.

Them roman deads and GMs look solid, nice workout overall.

Iron4Life
    Hey Noxon, just checking out your journal.. don't know how I missed another "live free or die"er... Looks like you are in the Lakes/White Mountains region... I'm down state in the Merrimack Valley... on the border. Also a geek...

Anyway.. read thru a bunch of your entries.. welcome back to NH, hope the new town gym is a good one, hope your leg is healing well.. and hey, you've got a lot of advice from Built - gotta love that. She is the best.

Great looking workouts.. should be well along the way to your goals... although I not quite sure about the cutting, seems like with all your activity, you would get some better results with a higher caloric intake...

GL.. and keep it heavy, eat right and rest enough...

Glad your quad is back and good again, nice RDL too.
    [Journal | My Diet]

Hey bear, thanks for stopping by the journal! I have read through bits and pieces of yours and somehow missed the fact that you are in the granite state. I was beginning to wonder if there was anybody else from NH on the boards! Live Free or Die'er indeed. I'm planning on getting that tattooed across my shoulders this summer... I've been waiting my entire life to get it done, wanted to be sure... Never been more so. I love this place and it is so great to be home. And yeah, I'm in the Lakes Region, you nailed that one (Though the Mt Major summit picture is kind of a dead giveaway haha).

As for the cut... Well, I'm not so sure about that one either. I feel like the moment that my diet is stopping me from making gains and feeling good in the gym, I'm done with eating a restricted intake. I am hoping that through newbie gains and smart eating (i.e. getting starchy carbs around my workouts so that I have energy), I will not plateau until I am done ditching the love handles. lol... Right now I am still making gains and feeling good, for the most part.

Journal Entry
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Nutrition

My nutrition this week has been ****. I started my new job on Monday, 2 to 3 hours of commuting every day plus 9 hours on the job... I simply haven't had as much time to figure out my food because I have NO routines in place right now. I am waking up 4 hours earlier than I'm used to so that I can get ready for work and commute 1.5 hrs there, and of course my body isn't wanting to go to sleep 4 hours earlier... So I have gotten about 8 hours of sleep all week. I am just so beat right now. I figured either the diet had to go for a little while or my entire workout routine had to go. There is no way for me to manage everything at the moment.

Exercise

Pulls / Horizontal Upper Body / Calves / Abs

I pretty much went to the gym today so that I could take a hot shower. My parents have no hot water at their house.

I woke up at 4:30 AM today after sleeping for four hours and didn't even get into the gym after work until 7:00 PM. Yeah. One of those days. My form, strength, energy, nutrition, everything was just off today. It's frustrating.

Rack Pulls
    135 x 5
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    295 x 1
    315 x 1 -Weight -Reps -Sets

I didn't have the energy to keep my core locked for multiple reps after 275. My form was pretty bad at 275 even. I decided to finish out the sets with singles so that I didn't risk hurting my back. Did these on the platform again; they're somewhere in between a rack pull and an OTF deadlift.

Flat Bench Press
    135 x 5
    175 x 5
    205 x 5
    225 x 1
    225 x 2 +Reps

This could have been worse. At least I got one more rep at 225 than I did last week. Last week, though, I could have done 225 x 3 or 235 x 1; I know it. This week, the second rep at 225 was slow and my form on all sets was not what it should have been.

There is no substitute for solid rest.

One Arm Rows
    50 x 8 x 2
    60 x 8 x 2
    70 x 8 x 2 +Weight

Weight increased from last week. Form was still good on these. I supersetted them with the IDPs....

Incline Dumbbell Press
    90 x 8
    110 x 8 +Reps
    120 x 6 +Weight

These were actually better today. Go figure.

Face Pulls
    100 x 8
    120 x 8
    60 x 8 -Weight

Exhaustion set in, so I did a light set and called it quits on upper body stuff.

Weighted Abs
    +0 x 8
    +60 x 8
    +70 x 8
    +80 x 8

Used dumbbells today per Built's suggestion. Love it. Much better than ab machine OR plates.

Knee Raises
    BW x 8 x 3

Twist Crunches
    Skipped these today.

SS PWO Cardio
    Skipped it today.

Random Thoughts

On the bright side, I am loving my job. I am a design engineer with one of the top industrial engineering contingencies in the world right now. In terms of my career, I have never been in a better place or been so interested in what I'm working with. I really hope that my routine falls into place soon. This week has been totally draining so far.

Hearing that you're happy with your new job is sweet...good chest and back effort.

Journal Entry
    Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thanks Coke, Howard, bear, BUILT (!!) and everybody else for the feedback.

Nutrition

I did better today. I packed my lunch last night so that I could put a little more thought into it. Going to do the same tonight.

Exercise

I got 7 hours of sleep last night. Today went a little better in the gym because I had more rest, but I had to rush my sets and cut my workout short because I was running late for my appointment to get my haircut. I really needed a haircut and they were all booked up for every day except today. Bah!

The rushed sets really affected my weights, but I got an intense workout out of it. Even on the squats, I barely sat still for 30 seconds.

Quad Dom Legs / Biceps / GPP

Squats
    135 x 5
    205 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 4 -Reps >.<
    225 x 5 +Weight

I felt like I was off my game and just not in the right mindset for the first four sets. Then after I failed on my fifth rep for set 4, I got pissed off and it sparked something in me that had been missing earlier and all yesterday. I powered through the fifth set and felt much better after that.

Glute-Ham Raises
    BW x 3 Sets x 8 Reps

Conc Curls
    35 x 8 x 2
    35 x 5 x 2

Running low on time, so I cut the biceps off short.... I did some quick Alternating DB Hammer Curls 30 x 8 x 2 almost as an afterthought and then jumped in the shower. I was late for the hair cut and still sweating. >.<

Oh, and I skipped my GPP today, but on Monday I kinda cheated and got in the gym for a little while. All I did while I was there was some HIIT and farmer's walks.

Here is my Farmer's Walks from Monday, supersetted again as paired rounds.

Towel Grip Plates
    45 Per Hand x 2 Laps
    70 Per Hand x 2 Laps x 2 Rounds
    80 Per Hand x 1 Lap x 2 Rounds
    ++Weight

Plate Pinch
    4x5 lb Plates x 1 Lap x 4 Rounds +Rounds @ Weight
    4x10 lb Plates x .25 Laps (lol) x 1 Round +Weight

Okay, so I made a huge increase in weight on my towel grips this past Monday. I think the next time I do these, if I am rested, I will be able to walk four plates with towel grip for a full lap.

Random Thoughts

Fine stuff throughout, ace plate pinching and grip work.

Nice squatting man.
    [Journal | My Diet]

Journal Entry
    Saturday, June 16, 2007

Nutrition

Probably would have had a better day in the gym if I hadn't gone out drinking last night, but that's OK. A few beers every now and then isn't going to make or break my goals. lol

Exercise

Nice and rested today... Gonna keep this short and sweet 'cause it's 90 degrees out and sunny and I'm going biking and swimming. woooo finally some summer weather eh.

Vertical Upper Body / Calves / Abs / GPP

Pull Ups
    +0 x 5
    +10 x 5
    +20 x 5
    +30 x 5 +Reps @ Weight
    +30 x 4.5

Switched pull up bars and was able to narrow up my grip a bit (bar I had been using forced a wider grip due to the weld points being shoulder width). My RC's and lats thanked me this week.

Mil Presses
    65 x 12 x 2
    115 x 5
    120 x 5
    125 x 5
    135 x 4.5
    135 x 4

I JUST WANT TO MIL PRESS A PPS, DAMN IT!!! Next week it is going DOWN. I mean UP. YEAH. YEAAAAAH!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I should prolly decrease my volume a bit on these, just warm the shoulders up with some light DBs and then jump right into sets or something. I felt a little worn out before I even got close to the 135's.

Side Lateral Raises
    Skipped these this week to give my RC's a bit of a break.

T-Bar Lat Pull Overs
    100 x 8
    120 x 8
    130 x 8

Standing Calf Raises / DB Crunches Supersetted
    280 x 8 Calves / +0 x 8 Abs
    380 x 8 Calves / +70 x 8 Abs
    440 x 8 Calves / +70 x 8 Abs
    480 x 8 Calves / +80 x 8 Abs

Was feeling nice and rested today, so I did some GPP which is just always fun. The more I walk around with towels in hand the more I enjoy it.

A lap is ~50 yards.

Towel Grip Plates
    45 Per Hand x 1 Lap
    90 Per Hand x 1 Lap +Weight
    100 Per Hand x 1 Lap ++Weight

Sweeeet. Walking 200 lbs was face scrunching, teeth gritting intense. Love it. I don't think I managed to breath but two or three times for the entire lap... Felt like if I let the air out I would just collapse.

Next I want to try some fat bar stuff and start doing some towel pull ups.

Random Thoughts

^2

Yes, that's ninja squared. Which is like #$%@ing SUPER NINJA.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxon View Post
    I hate to get all Nike on ya, but: Just do it! The same people that look sideways and snicker will come up to you and start asking questions when they see every vein in your forearm bulging like a mofo and you huffing around on your third lap with the plates in tow. The best reasons, though, are that it is a fun change of pace and an awesome static grip workout.

It definitely makes things a little more interesting. I'm looking forward to doing more of this as part of my weekly routine.
    If my plates have like handles on them would i grip them with that or would I try holding the solid part of the plate?

BTW, nice military pressing even though you couldn't get the 5th rep again, you should def get it next week. Try decreasing the volume a tad on the earlier sets too.
    [Journal | My Diet]

Quote Originally Posted by Howard 9 View Post
    If my plates have like handles on them would i grip them with that or would I try holding the solid part of the plate?
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Towel Grip Farmer's Walk:

For information on plate pinches and other grip exercises, try this article:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par15.htm