Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biceps

Female-anatomy professor Lonestrbeer's Avatar

Biceps

Ok. I work the hell out of my bis 2 times weekly. I do close, reverse and wide grips on the ez bar, regular and reverse grip cable curls and hammer curls when I get the chance. My bis are plenty tall, but when I'm unflexed they're damn skinny...I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to widen my bis at the top as well as the base. My arms are starting to look kinda funky cause my tris are getting huge...especially the lower head, and they dwarf my bis in width (I know the're supposed to do that to a certain extent cause they make up 2/3 of the arm, but Im starting to look a little goofy).

they'll grow as you grow.

Stop doing all that work, and focus your energy on squatting, rowing, and pressing.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

When i work bis, I'm also doing tris, and some legs. I do an average of 15-20 different lifts total for this particular day. I've been using this program on and off for mass building since last year and it's worked great for me so far. I do plenty of squats and presses anyway...especially during the season.
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

Have you had a chance to read Chris's sticky at the top of the page?
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    don't do so many sets for bi's..if you're doing more than 4 heavy sets you're overworking them

15-20 lifts?

How many sets?

Post the entire workout.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

His coach probably has him on that routine. I'm guessing he doesn't take his sets to failure, so the increased volume may work. He is also a collegiate athlete, thus increasing the liklihood he is enhanced , although I have no idea here, and no reason other than what I just mentioned to think that. I would be curious to see the whole routine as well.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    they'll grow as you grow.

Stop doing all that work, and focus your energy on squatting, rowing, and pressing.
    Y'know, people never realise how damn true this is.

I remember first reading this by you on the other board and never thought much of it, but the more experience i've gained and the bigger and stronger i've got it's much more obvious.

You never see guys in the gym with only big arms, or only big chest. They always have everything else big to go with it (or tiny legs like some moronic buggarlugs.)

And even if you do get big biceps, or a big chest, unless everything else is big you'll just look like a tithead and prolly make yourself more vulnerable for injury from muscle imbalance and what not.

As far as basic training goes this statement (or statements like it) are the total tits.

That is all.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Moronic buggarlugs?

It's true, and it is why I tell everyone to read Keys to Progress.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I think right now I just need to read a Geordie slang dictionary.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I dont know what a buggarlug is but I am pretty sure that since it had the word 'moronic' tacked onto it, I should be pissed.

3:16
    buggarlug- is a name your parents call you when young. eg get to bed buggarluges.
    moronic- i do not need to tell you what that means a less you are it.

Niether are geordie terms.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

need width? try bb curls ad regualr ole DB curls. Peak? try concentration curls. 3 sets each total of 9 sets.

here's the workout...one day

Cable rope pushdowns 3x12
    Kickbacks 2x10
    Reverse grip pushdowns 2x10
    Lying extensions 3x10-12
    Straight bar pushdowns 2x10
    Ez bar curls 3x10
    Ez bar wide grip curls 3x8
    Ez bar reverse curls 3x8
    Cable curls 2x10
    Reverse grip cable curls 2x10
    Preachers 3x10

These are all with lighter weight and I usually do a burnout at the end with either dips or close grip bench...then i do abs and/or forearms.
    Last edited by Lonestrbeer; 02-26-2002 at 05:24 PM.
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

Thats a lot of volume man. What kind of sport does he play chris?

College football and lacrosse, I'm an amateur boxer also

Originally posted by body
    eg get to bed buggarlugs.

lmfao.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Bigger fewl
    WAY overtraining. Try 3-4 sets if EZ curls for biceps, then 3-4 sets of skull crushers for tri's. That should be fine.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Originally posted by TreeTrunks
    need width? try bb curls ad regualr ole DB curls. Peak? try concentration curls. 3 sets each total of 9 sets.
    Um, no.

The shape of your biceps is pretty much predetermined by genetics. They get bigger. Nothing works the 'peak'.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I've been doing this for the past year, and I've had the best results with this type of lifting...doing only a few lifts doesn't work me near enough to gain mass anymore, trust me I've tried it. I also like to get all of those tricep lifts in to work every head as much as possible. With the bis, I work both of the heads. Call me crazy, but it works for me...I also have kinda strange genetics. I used to have huge legs and a fairly small but strong upper body. I can add mass pretty easily, so now I've evened out a bit with hard work. It's a lot harder for me to get stronger than to add mass...at least in my arms. Also, i don't know much about my genetics considering I was adopted out of Fort Worth. Really, all I know is my dad was a professional athlete of some sort and has the same frame (5'10" about 190-210) and the same facial features...and my mother was a professional equestrian of some sort. I'd like to research my heritage though, when I get a chance.

That's an awful lot of work, but if it's working for you, great.

Teh answer to your original post, there isn't anything you can do to make your biceps wider (or 'peak') other than making them bigger.

What is the rest of your routine like?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

dam man thats a shiat load of work !!!!

I hit my biceps with my back. looks like this:

Chins
    Seated cable rows
    Tbar rows
    Shrugs
    EZ bar curls

Thats it, but let me tell you. Just after that first set of chins my biceps are feeling it. The same holds true during my chest/shoulder/tri day in relation to my triceps.

I would cut back the number of movements.

What does your entire program look like??
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Originally posted by Lonestrbeer
    I've been doing this for the past year, and I've had the best results with this type of lifting...doing only a few lifts doesn't work me near enough to gain mass anymore, trust me I've tried it. I also like to get all of those tricep lifts in to work every head as much as possible. With the bis, I work both of the heads. Call me crazy, but it works for me...I also have kinda strange genetics. I used to have huge legs and a fairly small but strong upper body. I can add mass pretty easily, so now I've evened out a bit with hard work. It's a lot harder for me to get stronger than to add mass...at least in my arms. Also, i don't know much about my genetics considering I was adopted out of Fort Worth. Really, all I know is my dad was a professional athlete of some sort and has the same frame (5'10" about 190-210) and the same facial features...and my mother was a professional equestrian of some sort. I'd like to research my heritage though, when I get a chance.
    Sorry man I didnt notice this before. If it works than thats cool. It stills seems like a hefty load though. Maybe try raising the poundages a bit and doing a bit less reps....

Lets say you do one set of 10 then do another, with more weight, of 6.
    Height - 5'10"

WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

thats one day, then I take a day off and do around 20-30 minutes of intense cardio on my "rest" day (I also do 20 minutes of eliptical on the days I lift...afterwards). Anyway, my next day consists of:

DB rows 3x10
    Good mornings 3x failure
    DB military 3x10
    DB front and lateral raises 3x10
    Shrugs 3x10
    Wide grip lat pulldowns 2x10
    Close grip lat pulldowns 2x10
    DB flys 3x10
    DB decline 3x8
    Cable crossovers 3x12
    Reverse flys (on incline...not sure what they're called) 3x10
    Then I do burnouts...wide 'grip' pushups

I know there's plenty of intertwining between the two upperbody days, but I focus on good form to reduce that.

AS far as lower body goes...later on in the week I'll do 4x10 squats and calf raises to maintain my leg strength. I don't need to bulk up any in my legs cause genetics gave me treetrunks and they're plenty strong for my sports needs.

dam. how did you come up with this split??
    Height - 5'10"