Thread: How much should I weigh ?

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar

How much should I weigh ?

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section but I just wanted to ask a quick question about IDEAL Weight.

There are a load of charts that talk about the average persons ideal weight compared to their height ... and my question is NOT about this.

Basically, I am 6ft 3 and currently weigh about 219 lbs @ approx 17% fat. My aim is to be 10% fat and I was wondering how much you guys think I should weigh in order to NOT look too skinny (if you get what I mean).

If any of you follow UFC my aim is to be in similar shape to Andre Arlovski who weighs about 240lbs.

Based on this, I think that 10% fat @ 240lbs would be something I should aim for? What do you think? I agree that it isn't something thats going to happen overnight, rather it's something to aim for.

Thanks for any input
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

6'3 240 with 10% bodyfat is pretty damn huge. In order to just not look skinny, if you were at 225 with 10% bf I'd assume that you wouldn't appear skinny at those numbers and actually be decent sized. Your best bet is to probably find someone that's 6'2-6'4 and compare #s with them.
    Last edited by dblockspky; 05-27-2007 at 01:33 PM.

At 219 and 17% bf, you have ~190lbs of lbm. To be 10% and assuming you lose no muscle mass, you would be ~210lbs.

To reach 210lbs, eat at a caloric deficit, nothing too aggressive so that you can hold on to your muscle, maybe 0.75lb a week loss goal.

Now once you reach, 210lbs @ 10% bf, start on a SLOWWWWWW bulk. That means just eat a tiny bit over maintenance. Your muscle gains will be slow, but so will your fat gains.

Reaching 240lbs and 10% bf, you are talking about adding 25lbs of LBM. That will take some time and patience.

Thanks for the input...

Mr. D I like your calculations, I was was thinking along the same lines. I go on holiday in 8 weeks and so I'm aiming to get to 210 by then.

I did a not so clean bulk from Jan till May and put on about 30lbs. I've definately increased lbm but I've put on a load of fat aswell I've never bulked before so it was an experience. Like you said, a slow bulk is definately the way forward.

Thanks again.
    Lee

I'm 6'3" at 225 at around 14-15% (not excessively chubby, outline of abdominal region), I want to be around 280ish at 12%. I wan't the mass for strength purposes, so having a big muscle belly helps me out, so a 250 range with a small waist is pretty solid looking!

I started lifting weights so I could move my a$$ easier when playing football (soccer) so I wanted to be strong but light. But being my height and looking skinny is not good (well I didn't like it anyway). I started out at about 230lbs with lots of fat then went down to about 188lbs (13st 6) and looked ill. Now I am about 219lbs (15st 9) and look much better for it.

My aim is to be strong, look strong and not be too heavy so I can still play football at a fast pace. Good luck with getting up to 280lbs... I wish i started doing weights when I was much younger... oh well
    Lee

Well I'm not alone, I lifted steady about three years ago dirty bulk I weighed around 235 kinda chubby but I still didn't look that big, dropped down to 190 way to skinny looking, funny thing is I always thought I would look huge after 210 but I don't my frame is larger so now that I am starting over I am doing a slower cleaner bulk and my life time goal is around 270 pounds, even at my weight now around 215 people think I weigh 195ish, I'm sure I will look muscular before 270 but I want to look big so I'm going to just keep lifting.
    6'2"
    220 lbs
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Eat
    Sleep
    Repeat