The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Squats, why?

Squats, why?

I hear alot of people talk about squats as the best excercise for everything. Want legs, squat!
    Want strength, squat!
    Want arms, squat!
    But what is it that sets squats apart? How is it more beneficial than - dare i say it - leg press?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Squats are more than just the perfect quad exercise. In addition to stressing the front thighs, they actually work a variety of major muscles throughout your entire body, including the glutes, hamstrings, abdominals and lower-back muscles. This is why squats are considered by many to be the king of all weightlifting exercises.

"The squat is perhaps the most effective weight-training exercise for total-body development," says Michael Jocson, P.T., M.S., O.C.S., C.S.C.S., owner of Jocson Strength & Conditioning, in Howard Beach, N.Y. "The legs may be moving the body, but it takes a stable trunk and strong upper body to provide a foundation in which the legs can produce force. This is especially true when you start adding weights to your squats. Whether it be a back squat, front squat, split squat or overhead squat, many muscles of your whole body work in concert in order to lower and raise your center of gravity."

This muscle orchestra also generates a serious release of muscle-growing hormones that flood not merely the pins you stand on, but your entire body.
    found this and figured it'd be easier to copy and paste than to actually type something out...

also, a leg press primarily focuses on quads, glutes, and hams (only lower body) which is less beneficial for overall body development and can be harmful to your knees
    Last edited by KingWilder; 05-27-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

The leg press uses no stabilizing muscles, back muscles etc. Also, Machine movement < Free weights.

Trying doing 10 heavy squat reps.(feels like you just ran a marathon.)Anyone can leg press all day long.

Simply no comparison

You will also notice that everyone's grandma can leg press 1000lbs
    Last edited by blackboard; 05-27-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Squats and deads are two very beneficial exercises that are often overlooked by people new to the gym. Usually because they are too lazy/scared to perform the lifts. Being scared is ok, since it is possible to injure yourself if your form is bad. If you just do some research on proper form and start nice and light, you should be fine. They are two good compound lifts that exercise a variety of muscles in your body. And some people claim that squats and deadlifts stimulate GH production.

Also, there's a ditty that goes like this:

Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Do a search for disadvantages/risks of leg press - there have been so many threads.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

*sniffles* the poems beautiful.

Your right sensei, will do with all my future questions, sorry.

In the ancient times, the Spartans used squats as a right of passage into man hood. Squats, deads, and bench.. what else do you need to train...

All I can add is, since I have started lifting again I do my squats and deadlifts on the same day and no two workouts have owned me and made me their bitch like these, I feel like I ran a marthon when I'm done, shakin and sweatin.
    aside from all the above stated benefits, I have never been able to get my traps to grow untill I started deadlifting.
    6'2"
    220 lbs
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Eat
    Sleep
    Repeat

The only two weightlifting injuries I've ever had have been from squatting. That being said it is the king of lower body development.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

ahhh leg press! got to be one of the worse leg exercises for the knees, its also bad for your lowerback when you bring your thighs to your chest. just dont do it.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1