Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 6 who carry you.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar

The 6 who carry you.

The speaker in church this past weekend was speaking about relationships and their importance.
    " When you're on your deathbed..what's going to go through your mind? Your job? Your house? your car? no. You're going to look back on your life and upon all of the relationships along the way. Even the most career,goal oriented person in the world will be thinking about the people they've touched and been touched by...
    Then the speaker went into something that reallystruck a nerve with me.. (been thinking about it since.)
    "When I think about my funeral and try to picture who my pallbearers will be it makes me think. I'm sure that there could be some that would do the job as long as they didn't have anything more pressing in their schedule. These are not the people that I want lifting me up and carrying me for one final time. < symbolic in my eyes as true friends lift you up and carry you when you are unable > Those that you know will be there are those that maybe you need to make sure you invest as much time as possible in to take your relationship to that next level. "

He went on and I remember every word but for this place that about takes care of it.
    I'll admit that I've always kinda envied not having a "crew" to run with.. It usually only lasts a second because when I think about it.. I have friends EVERYWHERE..all over the damn world.. and can pick and choose what kind of night I want to have by who we get together with.

But to sit and think "Who is going to be carrying me to my final resting place?"

That really thins it out. I don't even have someone for every corner, yet. Knowing my funeral I'll have a couple juiced protegees to just handle it themselves..

Made me think though... Y'know?
    There's a couple people I really need to get back in touch with.. Budiak being one of them...
    Namely because I want my ashes blasted out of a cannon like Hunter S Thompson and he's the only one allowed to light the fuse.
    Last edited by Hatred; 05-29-2007 at 01:11 PM.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

That's deep, man. Got me thinking about it, too. I can think of a couple people, but not a whole lot. I'm like you, in that I've got people everywhere, but not a lot who I'm super close with. My wife is one, the best man at my wedding is another, and after that it's a lot tougher.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig New Member
    It might be harder for Hatred since he's not where he grew up I believe ...so you kinda start over building those relationships and they are never really the same as those when you were growing up .

I've been fortunate I think , I have a bunch of close buds and family . I havent really lost touch with too many . We kinda wont see each other for a couple years or two but then we will all be back home at the same time and we pick up right where we left off .

I did my moving around when I was younger , my later traveling was done with some of my close buds and my brother so I've stayed close to them .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    That's deep, man. Got me thinking about it, too. I can think of a couple people, but not a whole lot. I'm like you, in that I've got people everywhere, but not a lot who I'm super close with. My wife is one, the best man at my wedding is another, and after that it's a lot tougher.
    this really got me thinking as well.I think if i have kids they'll be the first ones on my mind and my partner.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

My grandpa passed away last year about this time, but he knew he was going, and he specifically named the people he wanted to carry him. I was one of the 6 he named, and I felt honored because we have a very big family. I think it depends on what stage in your life you're at, and how you go. I think for a lot of people, they don't really get to choose, so their closest loved ones decide. If I had to pick today, I could pick the 6 without question.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

I have mine, took me about 5 seconds. I'm sure it would change once i have children.....

I only have one that I would have carry me for sure. And the others would have to be chosen by family.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

I told my husband I hope he dies first so he'll never have to know what it feels like to have his heart broken.

This, of course, leaves me with the problem you mention, Josh. My peeps are all over the world. I think I'll just donate what remains to BodyWorld. They can wonder what weird stuff this muscular old broad was into ...

It's pretty crazy to think about your own death-in any manner. Think about the last funeral you were at. One day that will be you laying there-with everyone around you. When you're young it doesn't even seem possible.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

makes me want to make more close friends and take better care of some of the relationships i already have........

And that being the point.
    Hearing those words was one of those moments that just can't ever be diluted by anything anyone else ever says and I knew that as I was hearing them.

To go with what Brawl said.
    We live and love in a new day and age. Mark, you are exactly right. I don't live where I grew up. Some of my closest friends are on this very site. Some I haven't even had the opportunity to shake hands with. I say this because namely because no matter where I went WBB was here no matter which state I was in and the relationships evolved and continued to grow.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

I don't want to waste others' time and money with a funeral and crap. Just kick some dirt on me, or roll me in a river.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Banned
    That's kind of depressing.
    On a smaller scale, I'm kinda stuck right. I home from school and am 3 hours away from the people I spend 8 months a year with. I've drifted away from my high school friends, so I've got few people to hang out with at home. It's very frustrating, especially because I feel like such a loner...

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    I don't want to waste others' time and money with a funeral and crap. Just kick some dirt on me, or roll me in a river.
    Same here. Just cremate me. No need for a $20,000 funeral.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Same here. Just cremate me. No need for a $20,000 funeral.

I'm with these pimps ... cremate me ...and commence to drinking beer and telling stories .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Not the point of the thread guys..

I don't think there are six people in the world who I'd want carrying me. Just cremate me instead.

I'm lucky enough that I play on a team with a bunch of guys who would carry my casket if it came to that. It's amazing how hours upon hours and sacrificed weekends bring a group of people together to be the close friends they are.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

It would never be people from my hometown for me. I was never close to anybody there. It's amazing to me that I could be so gregarious and make friends easily wherever I go, except in the place I lived in the longest. For me a bulk of the 6 folks would be back in San Antonio. I made some incredible friends there...I still talk to them and they've "carried me" through some rough times; they still do. There's no need for you to be dead to have people carry you. I think that's what hatred and the speaker at his church were getting at. Carrying you to your grave is a metaphor. Whoever carries me in death will be somebody who has carried me in life. That also includes a few friends from houston and definitely some on this site. That still leaves a few slots open. LOL...I'm heavy, it's taken a lot of people to help get me through life, thus far, and it's going to take a lot more than 6 to carry me to my grave.
    Last edited by ectx; 05-29-2007 at 07:33 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I think about stuff like this a lot, actually. Not that I'm depressed or anything, it just fascinates me for some reason.

That question is really hard. If I dropped dead right now, my first choice would be my father. After that, I'm puzzled. My brother comes to mind, but he's young, I wouldn't want him to take on such a burden. Think about it. Having to carry your older brother at 13? That's crazy. But if we were older, he would be my second choice for sure.

Other than that, I don't know. I have a lot of acquaintances, a few friends, but practically nobody that I'm particularly close with. My best friend in the world is, as mentioned, my brother.

Really makes you think.

i just learned that my friends gf sister whom i have known forever is on life support. she is in a wheelchair and has many things wrong with her. she is only about 12 or so and i cant bring myself to realize what is actually happening. the only thing working is her brainstem and the life support is the only thing keeping her alive. idk wat to think after reading this thread and hearing this news at 11 oclock at night. there is way too much to think about. life can be taken away at any second and it just amazes me how quickly it comes and goes. i believe in god, but i definately sometimes dont understand his plan.

i wanna be cremated but the six who carry u is symbolic like the OP said and it would take a really long time to figure whos close enough to do that.

wow im just totally in shock right now, ive known taht little girl for like ever since i knew her sister (friends gf) which has been since fourth grade and im gonna be a sr in high school. life seems so fragile right now, i honestly cant imagine wat i would do. i dunno , just my two bits.

Friends and family are the only ones who matter when your dieing. I, like you never had a group of friends but I do have a few good friends who I trust with my life.

I carried my grandpa's body around 2 months ago and it was sad, but I felt good for doing it and it helped me get over him.
    He knew the meaning of family and friends very well. His entire family died when he was 13 than and was diagnosed with leukemia 35 or so years before he died. He looked rough and tough on the outside... but really he was a huge softy for family. When me, my brother, and two cousins were born he cried each and every time because he was told 35 years ago he wouldnt live very much longer (perhaps a few years). He never expected to live long enough to see his grandchildren, but he did. He even cried during my bar-mitzva (and my bro's... and my cousin's...). Family was the most important thing to him as it was something he lost at a young age.

Its amazing how much more you learn from someone when theyre gone...

So far I have my gf. Maybe her and a powered trolley?

I carried my grandmother last year, but for me? Probably some buddies from ROTC. There are some other friends I have outside of ROTC, but only one or two I think I would want to carry me.

Kind of funny that I've never thought about this, and I work at a funeral home.
    SAM and FRODO tie up GOLLUM.
    GOLLUM: No! Smeagol not into ropes, nassty kinky hobbitses.
    FRODO: We just want you to take us to Mordor, you sicko.
    GOLLUM: Mordor? Hobbitses having little Goth phase, maybe? Very angsssty, wanting to go to Mordor, yes yes. Can Smeagol offer black eyeliner to angsssty hobbitses?
    SAM: You stop talking to Mr.--hmm. (to FRODO) You know, you wouldn't look half bad in eyeliner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goose21 View Post
    wow im just totally in shock right now, ive known taht little girl for like ever since i knew her sister (friends gf) which has been since fourth grade and im gonna be a sr in high school. life seems so fragile right now, i honestly cant imagine wat i would do. i dunno , just my two bits.
    I'm sorry
    *e-hug*