The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cutting Advice

Hybrid View

Currently 300'ing

Cutting Advice

I have been trying to cut for over a month now, i have lost about 11 pounds but my body fat has not dropped as much. I am 5'11 @ 189 now with 15% body fat. I think i prlly dropped like 1 or 2 percent or so.

Due to my schedule and other aspects its hard for me to eat 6 small meals a day so i usually end up eating just 3 normal meals a day, and don't get to eat the full 6 can you make progress like this? i try to eat oatmeal in the morning with a protein shake, then perhaps an egg white sandwich or a chicken wrap, and for dinner i eat a lot of chicken breasts, meats etc. Occasionally between meals ill eat some walnuts and cashews or a banana with peanut butter. Also i did not count my protein shake after a workout and in the morning.

Any advice as i know a lot about dieting, but i just dont know how to apply it correctly.
    IZWAR
    My 16 Week transformation challenge

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You need to burn more than your intake, thats the basic principle of cutting.

Make sure you get 1g/lbm of protein, and 0.5g/lbm of fat. Fill in the rest of your cals with carbs,protein,fat as you like.

Small meals vs large meals dont matter as long as you get all your macros in. Do what you need to do for satiety/convenience.

You need to track your intake to get a sense of how much you are getting: www.fitday.com

Ur protein shake has calories, count it.

Also check out Built's signature on setting up a diet.

Currently 300'ing
    Thank you, if im doing cardio is all that stuff about keeping carbs very low, actually practical? i try to avoid them entirely at night.
    IZWAR

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    You need to burn more than your intake, thats the basic principle of cutting.
    So you are saying if I eat 2000 calories a day then I need to burn 2001 calories???
    Last edited by theman; 06-26-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theman View Post
    So you are saying if I eat 2000 calories a day then I need to burn 2001 calories???
    Well even if you do nothing and sit on a couch for 24 hours, you are going to burn calories. So basically what you are doing is adding exercise to offset the food you need to get thru the day.

BMR/RMR + Exercise + TEF > Caloric Intake : This is how you lose weight

BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate
    RMR stands for Resting Metabolic Rate
    TEF stands for Thermic Effect of Food

Wannabebig Member
    lol, i might be going out on a limb here, but somebody on a -1 calorie diet is not going to live very long, let alone lift a barbell above his head.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeWillVindic8 View Post
    lol, i might be going out on a limb here, but somebody on a -1 calorie diet is not going to live very long, let alone lift a barbell above his head.

I though that you should burn more than you eat to lose? So if you eat 2,000. And burn 2,500. You lose weight. CORRECT>
    Everything is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gravej View Post
    And burn 2,500. You lose weight. CORRECT>
    How the F am I going to burn that much calorie in a day???

You dont necc have to keep carbs low or avoid at night. It depends on how they fit in your macros and caloric intake.

Are you tracking on www.fitday.com?
    Last edited by Mr. D; 05-30-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Currently 300'ing
    yes im trying to use that, but it doesnt pick up what i eat sometimes for example today i had a chicken wrap with plantains for lunch. They dont have either so i just put it as a banana with chicken breast lol.
    IZWAR

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IZWAR View Post
    yes im trying to use that, but it doesnt pick up what i eat sometimes for example today i had a chicken wrap with plantains for lunch. They dont have either so i just put it as a banana with chicken breast lol.
    Exactly as said above. I hardly use any of the pre-input foods in Fitday. 98% of what I use I input using the labels on the food I eat.. and weigh everything before you enter it. No cheating or guessing. Look online to get nutritional information if the food you are eating is not labeled. For homeade food I break it all down.. so for a chicken wrap ( boiled chicken (3oz) = xx cals, whole wheat wrap (1) = xx cals, veggies added, sauce, etc. Easier than trying to figure all together.. then you can reuse when you make other meals.
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 226

Currently 300'ing
    Thanks for the clarification, i got it now.
    IZWAR

Currently 300'ing
    at 190 lbs doing sprints every other day and lifting about 4 times a week and i want to drop like 5 percent body fat, i know i should get 285 grams of protein a day, but how much carbs and fat. I try to get a gallon of water a day
    IZWAR

The chicken wrap with plaintains, was it homemade?If so you can enter custom foods.

Here is what you should aim for: 1g/lbm of protein, 0.5g/lbm of fats, and fill the rest of your cals with carbs,protein,fats as you like?

This is a sample diet macro target, not knowing your maintenance I am estimating:
    2260 cals
    80g fat
    200g protein
    185g carbs and at least 25g fibre.

Do you know what your maintenance cals are?If you do take a 20% reduction of this and then play around with your macros to reach that. At a minimum you need 160g protein and 80g fat.
    Last edited by Mr. D; 05-30-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Currently 300'ing
    wow do you really keep the carbs that high on a cut?
    IZWAR

Quote Originally Posted by IZWAR View Post
    wow do you really keep the carbs that high on a cut?
    You have hit your protein and fat requirements, so why not. If you find the carbs are making you hungrier, then you can increase the fats and protein to keep you fuller.

Just target your carbs around your workouts then to be in optimal state pre and post workout.

"its not good to do cardio and weights it the same session, its better to do them at different times and 20 mins is not enough, u gotta do like 45-60 mins with 65% of your heart beats per min. By the way I do cardio everyday."

The above is what this guy from facebook told me. I havent been able to get a hold of him for a while. Anyways, what does 65% of heart beat mean? And what do you think of his cutting routine?

"its not good to do cardio and weights it the same session, its better to do them at different times and 20 mins is not enough, u gotta do like 45-60 mins with 65% of your heart beats per min. By the way I do cardio everyday."

The above is what this guy from facebook told me. I havent been able to get a hold of him for a while. Anyways, what does 65% of heart beat mean? And what do you think of his cutting routine?
    This is terrible advice.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!