The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Functional Strength Question

Can anyone give me a good definition? For example, does a 700lb deadlift translate into having a strong takedown for mma or football? I often times hear people say how worthless the Bench Press is. Letís say we have two identical twins. (Same weight and skill level) Twin A never lifted a weight; Twin b can Bench press 400lb. Would I noticed any difference between the two on the grappling mat? Side note: Twin B does no other lifts beside the Bench Press.
    Last edited by blackboard; 05-30-2007 at 10:05 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do that voodoo that he do
    Weight room strength doesn't have a direct correlation to playing strength, but it is important.

Twin B would probably outmatch Twin A as he would be much stronger. In order to bench 400 he'd have a strong grip, lats, tris, and so on. He'd probably also be 20 lbs heavier. Assuming equal skill it wouldn't be a match.

Now, if Twin A had spent his time doing strongman events and full-body lifts, he'd be much more capable.

Don't look at it as "a 700 deadlift will make a great football player". Look at it as "a football player strong enough to deadlift 700 will be plenty strong".
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

This is a really tough question; while there are many lifts which should translate directly to whatever sport your playing, or have a reputation of being "fuctional", its a hard task indeed to determine whether or not your training will make you a better athlete, or just better at performing a "feat."

Look for what feat(s) the elite athletes in your sport good at, then train those, along with the sport. A good football player usually has a good bench press but a good bench presser is scarcely a good football player. Catch my drift?

If wrestling is your sport, then keep in mind that you can be the stronger guy on the mat and still get your ass handed to you. I'm sure you're aware of this already, but knowing how to finish a double leg will do you worlds more good then just having a 500 lb deadlift.

To answer your question: There is no set definition for what a functional lift is. It depends on what sport your playing, and I'm fairly certain that after a point, on whatever lift you're training, the sports benefits will plateau and you'll just be training a feet. Find out what your weaknesses are and attack them. Adding 20 lbs to your already massive deadlift probably isn't going to help you that much next season, but if your power clean is awful because your just slow - well, thats what you should be improving.
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 05-31-2007 at 12:42 AM.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I think overall strength training plus practice at what ever sport you are invloved with would make you better.
    6'2"
    220 lbs
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Eat
    Sleep
    Repeat