The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Closed Back Vs. Open Back shirt?

Okay, I like to bench to my upper ab when I bench and I seem to find in my double denim I don't get alot of tension down there but I get a heap over my chest. I'm just kind of curious of the thoughts of cutting the back of the shirt and then sewing it up along the new cuts?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Who's helping you into the shirt? They need to pull the shirt down. Way down. Where is the collar line in regards to your chest? I don't know much about denim. They have different grooves than the double ply poly I'm using but still, you'll have to learn to find the groove. It'll be hella tight over the chest if that's where the majority of the material is but you need to get a shirt as low as you can. Lower still if you bench low.

Before you cut it, find out that you have a good fit and that you're getting into it and using it properly. Find someone to help you before you decide to possibly ruin a good shirt.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 06-01-2007 at 06:25 AM.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

My benching partner is helping me into the shirt, the arms are a solid (15" sleeve and I have 15.5" cold arms) fit and the chest is filled but not tight as hell.

Basically, I'll get into the shirt palms up, get it pulled over my head and then have the arms seated into the shoulders, then I'll get a good portion of the shirt bought down, then i cross my arms over to form the 'cleavage' and get a good tug at the front until its down as far as it can go, then we'll get the belt on.

I get a small tug again on the front after I set up on the bench.

Come to think of it, we havn't been getting the belt as tight as we need too, I'm going to have to use a ****ty thin single prong thats very well worn in to keep the shirt down.

The shirt was surplus stock and I didn't plan on benching in it but rather using it as a training tool and move along to custom gear down the road, so destroying it is no grief either.

Any ideas on how to get it lower? Thanks for the input

I don't really believe that double denim is a great learning tool. Denim is another animal and from what I hear in regards to people that use them, it'll throw your form off something fierce. Unfortunately I can't speak from experience so take it with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't really risk cutting it. I'd keep it intact and get a single ply version of whatever you think you'll eventually be using. If you plan on using denim then I'd just go ahead and spring for another shirt. Just make sure that whatever you get conforms with your federation rules.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member
    if you want to be able to pull the collar lower, cut that bitch. a closed back denim doesn't offer a lot of collar adjustability. cutting the back will not ruin the shirt.

i would recommend against a single denim. blow out city.

what is the arm angle? it is a radical cut?

We ended up jacking the shirt as low as possible yesterday and I got a good 60lbs out of it this time. The next time I'm trying to get a second person to pull the back collar up and getting someone else to pull the front down at the same time.

The arm angle is just straight, I can arch very well in it.