Thread: How long should we stay in the gym for WBB1?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

How long should we stay in the gym for WBB1?

Hey,

Well, my problem is obviously timing issue in the gym. I've been doing it WBB1 since beginning of March. So, i've been following this routine for 3 months. I know, for most of exercises, it says 2 sets and 6-8 repetition.

But after 2 months, I felt kinda easy to do all of them so I increased my sets to 3 as well as increasing repetition to 10 each. But it takes around 70 minutes to 80 minutes to finish them all. Somebody just told me in the gym yesterday that I should stay and work out in the gym no more than an hour. He also said its bad for me to stay in the gym more than an hour. Is that true? The maximum time I should work out in the gym is no more than an hour?

Thanks in advance.

It depends. Studies have shown cortisol is in effect after 1 hour, however this can be combatted by sipping on diluted carb/protein drink while you workout.

Thats why so many people on this board sip a dextrose/whey shake while they work out.

Excluding cardio, if you're doing your exercises properly, I can't see how you'd be able to do many exercises productively after over an hour of weightlifting.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleek13 View Post
    Excluding cardio, if you're doing your exercises properly, I can't see how you'd be able to do many exercises productively after over an hour of weightlifting.
    Well, of course, I can't be as productive as in the beginning but I just want to finish up the routine. Thats why I'm trying to do finish them all.

I just would like to know if there's any disadvantages or anything harmful when I go there and work out 15-20 minutes more than an hour.

Why do you feel you need a 3rd set? Just go heavier on the first 2 sets....
    Last edited by deeder; 06-02-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

yeah ive tried the routine and it does seem easy even when i lift heavy.
    2 sets of only 8 reps just doesnt seem to get my muscles burning at all. ive tried lifting heavy enough i fail on the last rep but im just so used to doing alot of reps because we did a burnout on some lifts every other week in offseason at my school.
    Height:5' 7"
    Weight:165 (september 1, 2007)Goal:170
    Bench:205 Goal:240
    Squat:315 Goal:350
    40 Time:4.98 Goal:4.75
    (didnt do too good on my goals this round)

why not set a big goal that you cant acheive and get as far as possible than to set a goal you know you can acheive and only get so far

Wannabebig Member
    I have the same concerns. I haven't started this routine but am seriously thinking of it and I'm happy someone started a thread about it. It seems after completing a 2 x 6/8 routine you may feel....somewhat empty. Maybe feel like you didn't maximize your time in the gym and you could look to do more reps or sets. Do builders stay on this routine religiously or stray and add more reps/sets as time goes on?

are you doing warm-up sets??????

no but that would deffinitely help im sure
    Height:5' 7"
    Weight:165 (september 1, 2007)Goal:170
    Bench:205 Goal:240
    Squat:315 Goal:350
    40 Time:4.98 Goal:4.75
    (didnt do too good on my goals this round)

why not set a big goal that you cant acheive and get as far as possible than to set a goal you know you can acheive and only get so far

I used WBB1 for 3 months and at first I was thinking exactly the same thing, that 2x6-8 wasn't enough but the guys on the board told me to stick with it, and I did, and the results were great. If you push it hard enough and lift heavy enough, you'll be tired after 2 good sets.
    6'2 - 194lbs @ 10.4%BF (August 08, 2007)

Goal: 205lbs @ 11%BF (December 21, 2007)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champion View Post
    are you doing warm-up sets??????
    Well, I usually go with light on the first set. Then I'll go heavy in 2nd and 3rd set. I guess, first set could count as warm-up set.

Quote Originally Posted by philou123 View Post
    I used WBB1 for 3 months and at first I was thinking exactly the same thing, that 2x6-8 wasn't enough but the guys on the board told me to stick with it, and I did, and the results were great. If you push it hard enough and lift heavy enough, you'll be tired after 2 good sets.
    So, are you saying I should go heavy with first 2 set and not doing it 3rd set?.. Well, I really think 2 sets of rep 6-8 is easy to do. I don't feel any burning after I do them. But if I do 3 sets with 10 rep, I really feel something is going on wherever I work out.

I'm cool doing it 3 sets with 10 rep after 3 months following this routine. My only concern is whether it is beneficial for me to go work out more than an hour. Some people are telling me, its not good to go work out more than an hour. Thats where Im confused.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by philou123 View Post
    Well, I'm really confused about this since nobody has clear idea. So, I dont know if I should lower my sets to 2 again and do only 8 reps. But if I do like that, I would be done easily in 60 minutes.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BHS View Post
    Well, I'm really confused about this since nobody has clear idea. So, I dont know if I should lower my sets to 2 again and do only 8 reps. But if I do like that, I would be done easily in 60 minutes.
    That is the point! You don't need to be in the gym for hours at a time. Work really hard for 30-40 mins and call it a day. You grow outside the gym.. not in it. I would load the weight so you can only do 4-6 reps.. then you have a goal to get to 8. When you get there.. load on more weight. If you are getting all 8 reps everytime the weight is too light.
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 226

<3's WBB
    I'm finishing up buying equipment, so I couldn't call myself a lifter yet... but...

I always assumed that you need to lift to our x rep max when doing the sets (like by the end of each set, have just enough energy to complete the last rep with good form).

So, my question is, should there be an additional (lower weight) warmup set prior to going for full weight?
    21, Male, 5' 10", Cutting
    Starting weight: 228lbs. Currently (05/01/08): 168.2lbs (59.8 lost)
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been doing WBB1 for about a month.. can complete each day in about 30 mins if I keep my intensity up. The key is keeping the weight heavy and short breaks inbetween sets and exercises. I felt the same way when started but I am already seeing results and I'm not a noob.. just needed a different routine after over training for a year (lack of knowledge). I feel it the days following if I give it my all each day. Just my experience.. but I think lots of guys over train then start this and are like.. no way I can get results in 30 mins doing only 2 sets.. Well.. YOU CAN. We've all been brianwashed into thinking more is better... not always. Habits are hard to break especially since we all want perfection and don't want to let ourselves down. Stick with it and keep it fast and heavy.. results will show.
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 226

Why do you feel the need to have the "Burn"?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I'm in the gym for 30-35 minutes if I am by myself, if im with my Brother or the gym is over packed then I end up getting stuck longer. Just keep your intensity high and stop worrying about time.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Some of my workouts last 2+ hours. I don't feel I've ever suffered because of it....
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I'm in there for around an hour.

Just do it til' it's done.

Always warm up! Start light and work your way up to the 2 heavy sets.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.