The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Is there any exercises/stretches to help with neck pain and forward head posture?

I've gotten into the habit of my heading rolling forward...called forward head posture I believe? This is why I've gotten neck strain and whatnot. Is there anything I could do to eliminate this problem?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Roll your shoulders back when ever you see yourself doing this.

In front of a mirror, bring your hand behind you back as far as you can. Kinda like when you try to touch the top of your back. Then stretch the neck to the opposite side slowly, hold and release, do it a few times. Then tilt the head slightly towards the chest (into that pit on the shoulder and collar bone), then stretch up towards the roof. 3 separate moves. Bring the head to the side then tilt.

Warming up with a shower first really helps too.

Any help?

sway-back posture and kyphosis-lordosis posture show a forward tilt of the head as a sign

it could be due to tightness in your upper trapezius or weakness in your neck flexers

just use a mirror as was already mentioned and observe your posture...by becoming more aware of it you should be able to correct the problem
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Banned
    I look in the mirror and don't really see anything really wrong. How do you change what you don't know is wrong?

I always try to roll my shoulders back, but it doesn't really help with the tension in my neck. It's not a pain, but like a "strain" which is the only way to describe. Just doesn't feel normal.

Is any exercises in addition to the one given above(by the way, does the eliminate the problem is foward head posture Sleepy Guy?) or stretches or something I could do? Do you think if I made my neck stronger it'd go away? Somebody told me about an exercise where you make yourself look like you have a double-chin and it suppose to completely eliminate foward head posture. Anyone ever hear of that?
    Last edited by wdjuqi; 05-28-2007 at 07:56 PM.

There's two exercises you can do for this. One I can describe easily, the other I have no idea how to describe into words and accruately get the point across.

The first one is basically a chicken head movement. Only difference is you don't do it that fast. Keeping your body still and relaxed, push your neck as far back as it can go (while your head is still just facing straight ahead). Hold it for a second and do the same going forward. Repeat this 5 times. Do this 3 times a day.

Ok this may sound weird but what shape are your abs in? While standing, Try flexing them... you'll probably sense your entire body straightening... keep going with that and lift your chest while pulling shoulders back and dropping them low... finally tuck the chin under somewhat and stretch upwards with the neck through the crown of the head... you probably just gained an inch or more in height with proper posture.

Another thing to do is sit on a hard floor (rug is fine) and slowly lower your self down using your abs for control. When your lower back comes in contact with the floor use your elbows (pushing them into the floor) to pull your back longer... seperating each vertabrae as your lower back and hips remain stationary... lowering yourself completely flat on your back... again at this poing lift the head off the floor, tuck the chin, and then stretch your neck as you lower the back of your head to the floor... you can literally feel "longer" with a flatter back and a head / chin that is in a proper alignment.

Now remember how the body feels in both of these exercises and conciously use your muscles and skeleton to keep the body as close to this form / posture as you move through the day.

Oh and in case you guessed... I'm a yoga instructer. (true)
    -Brian Ball

Egg Whites International
    Build Muscle - Blast Fat with 100% Pure
    Liquid Egg White Protein for Bodybuilders !

Banned
    And will all these exercises eliminate the problem of "foward head posture" and my neck pain?

I did go the chiro last year, he said my pecs will really tight and wanted me to go to physical therapy for 2 months or so. I just didn't have the money to do that. And I know a lot of times that's just a way to get money out of you.

Should I go to another chiro and get him to put me in the correct posture and align me the right way?

Banned
    Anyone? The neck strain is really rough sometimes. I don't know what to do.

There's a chance they will eliminate them. Without knowing you personally, it's tough to say if they will fix it or not.

Banned
    I remember the chiro saying my bio-mechanics were off. What weightlifting exercises were fix this?

It's ashame the majority of chiros are just out to get money rather than actually help people.