The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bumper plates

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Bumper plates

Does anyone use these plates? They seem quite cheap and i'm Just looking to find out if they can take the abuse. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, wouldnt let me post the link till my counter hit 10.
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...D5_100613.html

Quote Originally Posted by pulpmelon View Post
    Yeah, wouldnt let me post the link till my counter hit 10.
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...D5_100613.html
    ^ Those are not bumper plates. Those are just regular plates with a rubber coating around them.

Solid Rubber Bumper Plates are what you should be looking for. Google 'em.

Cheapest I found was $1300 CAD for a set of yorks with the bar, 160kg set.

Wannabebig Member
    Think I'll bust out on a set of 10's to see if theyre any good.
    I'm guessing the york's are solid compounded rubber for that price.

I dont own any myself but my training centre has a few hundered of them

These things are good fun to drop. We sometimes muck around before training and see who can hit throw the weight and get the most bounce.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Nice to see you are putting them to good use Fuzzy. What is solid compound? If you have any information on bumper plates I sure could use it. I am going to buy a set soon I think.

Wannabebig Member
    Those bumpers look exactly like the garbage "bumpers" gill athletics sells. They actually metal disks with a decent layer of rubber around them (they are not like rubber coated plates), still this doesn't make them bumper plates. Shortly after about 1 year of use mine all have cracks and are warped.

Quote Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
    Those bumpers look exactly like the garbage "bumpers" gill athletics sells. They actually metal disks with a decent layer of rubber around them (they are not like rubber coated plates), still this doesn't make them bumper plates. Shortly after about 1 year of use mine all have cracks and are warped.
    I'm not sure what you mean by them not being "bumper", but that's how the majority of bumper plates are made. Check out the Eleiko international competition disks and training disks - they are all a disk of metal surrounded by rubber.

Yes, these things do eventually crack, though I have not seen warping as much. Even so, they last a while especially if only one or two people are using them. The eleiko and werksan ones in the different gyms I've been in have lasted for years. Also, you really need them to practice the Olympic lifts in any serious way.

Jay

They will crack but it will take a fair bit of abuse,

(note the word abuse, you will not be able to resist once you find out how high these things can bounce)

ut even when they crack they will still be perfectaly usuable for quite a while. You cant lose with bumpers
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHarris View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by them not being "bumper", but that's how the majority of bumper plates are made. Check out the Eleiko international competition disks and training disks - they are all a disk of metal surrounded by rubber.

Yes, these things do eventually crack, though I have not seen warping as much. Even so, they last a while especially if only one or two people are using them. The eleiko and werksan ones in the different gyms I've been in have lasted for years. Also, you really need them to practice the Olympic lifts in any serious way.

Jay
    Im not talking about the hub, Im talking about a ~15 inch metal plate inside the rubber.

Attached is a picture. These plates look a whole lot like the above mentioned plates. Actually, they simulate a rubber bumper pretty well until they warp and crack, in the way they bounce.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wannabebig Member
    Ive had a loaded bar bounce upto waist hight. I think Id have my membership card shoved up my ass if I started pinging discs about the place!