View Poll Results: Which person will win the chase to a 1000 lb total first?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • TheLion

2 28.57%
  • Option 1

5 71.43%
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lay you to waste

Had to change this post. I was such an idiot. Still an idiot, but thank Christ not as much as I was.

I'm just a guy getting stronger while trying to stay in decent shape.
    Last edited by TheLion; 09-24-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

I start tomorrow using some random workout. Will work on a diet soon. We'll see what happens.
    My Journal

thanks a lot built. i've been looking at some of your stuff up here. you seem to be very knowledgable. thats actually the workout that i found and was going to use. also, is there a good time during the day for me to lift? i'm at work from 8-10 am and 12-2pm, and then i'm pretty much free. just wondering
    My Journal

Its a personal preference. If you feel like you can lift better in the morning, then go for it, or vice versa. Quite a view of the future you have there, I hope you acheive it. Anything can be done with enough hard work and dedication.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

thanks for the comment jed. i have lofty goals? 65 pounds to your squat in less than two months? thats pretty sick. good luck man. your young. kick ass and get it done.

prop going to work out after work at 2. i need to eat between classes. i get really hungry. just started my fitday account today. its a pain in the ass to get started, but i heard once you do its pretty simple. i eat a lot of the same foods anyway.
    My Journal

Ok, here we go. First workout. To start off, today's workout was tough, being the first one, but here it is.

Flat BB Bench Press
    1 x 15 x 45 (wu)
    1 x 12 x 45 (wu)
    1 x 10 x 95 (wu)
    1 x 10 x 115 (wu) pretty hard
    1 x 7 x 135 very difficult. would have gone for 8 if i had a spot
    1 x 7 x 135 same story

Low Incline DB Press
    1 x 10 x 30s
    1 x 7 x 40s
    1 x 8 x 40s took a little rest before this set for that last rep

Dips
    2 x 7

Chinups
    1 x 5
    1 x 3 Did as many as I could, but my arms were shot.

Deadlift
    1 x 10 x 145
    1 x 6 x 225
    1 x 6 x 225 weight kept slipping bad. almost had to stop set and regrip

BB Rows
    1 x 8 x 35s turned them into DB rows. Didnt know what I was doing.
    1 x 10 x 35s

Shrugs
    1 x 10 x 35s slacked up on the last two exercises. I was exhausted and tried to cruise a little

Okay, just in case yall are wondering, i'm following WBB1 workout. I hope I did everything right. Today I was trying to get a good workout, but at the same time, get a good idea of what some of my lifts will be. Also, if you guys think you can figure it out given this workout, what do you think my lifts would be? I have a ton of questions that I need some advice on. So here's a list of them. Please help me out with some answers

Questions:
    1. On the BB Bench, where do I place my hands? My arms are fairly long. So I feel like I should spread my hands out wider than some people.
    2. How much should I rest between sets? Also, how much between exercises?
    3. What is the position of the bench in a low incline? Greater than 45, 45, or lower. I put the incline on the lowest incline it would go, but it was still around a 45 degree angle.
    4. The dips hurt my right shoulder. I use to pitch in baseball and kind of hurt it. Is it bad if I feel discomfort? I dont mind pain at all, I just dont want to screw up my shoulder and have to miss time in the gym. I'm going to try the dips again next chest day and maybe I'll be fine.
    5. Isn't a deadlift a lower body exercise? If so, why was it in my upper body workout? I just felt like my body was prepared for that lift. It felt strange compared to the others. My legs weren't warmed up and the exercise felt out of place. Once again, I am new to this, so I am probably wrong, but I am just wondering.
    5. How do I keep from the weight slipping in my hands on deadlifts?
    6. On the chins, how wide should my grip be? Also, should palms be in or out? I went just past shoulder width with palms out. Just so you know
    7. What are BB rows? I didn't know so I did DB Rows, or at least I think I did. I did some exercise that I think worked my back, and I think it was called DB Rows.
    8. Is there a recommended preworkout routine? Also, Is there a recommended number and weight variation for a warm up?
    9. I was really tired after the workout. I mean exhausted. Even though I'm small, I'm really out of shape. should I do some cardio or something to get me in better shape for better endurance in the gym? or does it just simply take getting use to?
    10. should i eat before or after a workout, or both? and what types of food?

I know these are a lot, and I'm sure I forgot a few, but if someone could help me with some of these, just respond. It will be much appreciated.
    My Journal

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

This is WBB1.

What did you do?

I wasnt saying your goals were out of reach or too much, I was just saying that view of the future was pretty badass... I'd love for that to be me too
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

I see your goal of 15lbs of lean mass in one month, but personally I'd say scrap that. Don't go looking for quick results. Unless you're on a lot of gear and have awesome genetics, it isn't going to happen (the quick gains that is). The 15lbs of lean mass in one month is impossible. I'd recommend that you just focus on getting a solid diet down pat and a solid lifting split. Get into a routine that you can maintain for the long haul and you'll be much better off. As far as WBB1 goes, it is a fairly good beginner routine, but I'd rather see you on something like the 5x5 program. Google it and see what you think about it. I like the frequency that it offers, though it isn't what I follow myself. Remember, to get big, you gotta eat big. If you have any questions, hit me up in my journal.

PS:

As for most of the questions you asked up top, it'll really depend on you. Bench grip width as well as chin grip width is a personal thing. Play around and see what's comfortable for you. As far as dips, scrap them if you feel any pain. I tore my pec minor doing them so I've always been a bit hesitant to throwing them back in. They tend to put a lot of torque on the RC.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

You seem pretty determined and eager. Welcom to the boards and good luck with your goals. I'll be following along and trying to offer the advice I have obtained from this board.

Built - i tried to do WBB1. just with warm up sets to get an idea of what i could do. you have to remember, i had no idea what weights i could do. what's wrong

Jed - haha, i hear you man. its a dream. lets try to make it happen for both of us

Chubrock - i appreciate all the words. i'm looking around. i hate to be really indecisive about a lifting split right now. do you think i should worry about changing it immediately or stick to what i have for a while. built seems to like it. i think i have decent genetics. my dad is kind of big. i would like to try out my goal. hell, if i gain 10 lbs and dont reach my goal, i'm still doing pretty good by most peoples standards. i'm keeping up with my diet with fitday. around 4000 calories today. about the fast gains, i just like to get stuff done fast.

cirino - thanks man. i'm just at a point in my life where i'm tired of dicking around and i'm focusing on myself and doing what i want. which includes improving myself physically
    My Journal

High rep warmups are counterproductive. No harm doing a few low rep warmups, but you wore yourself out before you started to lift with all those 15-rep warmup sets.

I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

I put my ring fingers on the rings when I bench.
    Try to rest between 2-3 minutes between sets, but it's up to you.
    Chins are palms in, pull ups are palms out. Grip width is up to you.
    BB rows are the same as dumbell except with a barbell.
    On deadlifts, are you using one hand over and one hand under? If not, do it.
    Eat before and after. Lots of carbs before, lots of protein after.
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 06-05-2007 at 03:58 AM.

Oh, and for your max bench, I'd say you can hit about 160 which is very good for your first time, especially at your body weight. Just make sure the bar is touching your chest and you're not using a Smith Machine.

I find it easer to move more weight wit ha norrower grip, its different for most people.

Congratulations on starting, and i wish you the best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    Chubrock - i appreciate all the words. i'm looking around. i hate to be really indecisive about a lifting split right now. do you think i should worry about changing it immediately or stick to what i have for a while. built seems to like it. i think i have decent genetics. my dad is kind of big. i would like to try out my goal. hell, if i gain 10 lbs and dont reach my goal, i'm still doing pretty good by most peoples standards. i'm keeping up with my diet with fitday. around 4000 calories today. about the fast gains, i just like to get stuff done fast.

If you've just started lifting, I'd rather see you in something that has you squatting more often than WBB1. You'll need a lot of work learning the form, and the little things that go along with hitting a good squat. Not picking on you, but everybody is that way when they start. I wouldn't worry about varying your workout this early. You've got to find something that fits you and that you enjoy. If you don't like the split, you're not going to be as focused on getting in the gym. Look up the 5x5 routine and see what you think about it. If you like it, swap it in and go from there. If you don't like it, it's no big deal. I would like to see you doing the Big 3 (SQ,BP,DL) more often though in the beginning. Just my $.02.

I agree to an extent with Chubs about working more with the big 3 for a while and getting your form down first, but I think newer lifters need to do more conditioning work. IE.

The Begginer westside squat protocol calls for a solid 15-20 sets of 2 rep squats for week 1 and works in a wave upto to more volume, that'll work!

Good luck with the goals! I'll try and keep up with this journal and poke in some advice when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    I agree to an extent with Chubs about working more with the big 3 for a while and getting your form down first, but I think newer lifters need to do more conditioning work. IE.

The Begginer westside squat protocol calls for a solid 15-20 sets of 2 rep squats for week 1 and works in a wave upto to more volume, that'll work!

Good luck with the goals! I'll try and keep up with this journal and poke in some advice when I can.

I agree Risk with the way the Beginner WSB protocol goes, but at the same time I'd rather give him only one workout that he has to look over and implement. I know that when I first started, if somebody had said "Use the WSB Squat Protocol, Metal Militia Style Benching Routine, etc etc" my head would've exploded.

Yeah, I didn't really make a good point did I?

What I'm trying to say is your conditioning is going to suck, your core is going to be weak and your going to have muscular imbalances all over the show - just the way things roll. Your going to need to do a good bit of conditioning work, sled dragging is great for this! Lots of singles and doubles of the big three.

Start off in your first week like this;

Day 1;

Squat; 10 sets, 2 reps. The low reps will help with your form. The idea is perfect form, just perfect. Shoulders drawn together, head back, belly full of air, sitting back instead of down. I like to watch videos of squats to make sure of my own form, I also film almost every other session and watch them back to mak sure I'm not making silly mistakes.

Lunges; These are great glute/hamstring builders! Start with DB's, always make sure your knee's don't pass your toes - that really puts some strain on the knee's.

Sled dragging; Try just doing 20 steps for 2 sets and work up from there.

Day 2;

Warm ups (5 minutes on stationary bike or whatever, I like to skip rope - this is not cardio!)

BB Bench; 5 sets, 5 reps. I'm going to assume your comfortable with a little bit of weight on the bar, so do something that feels light at the start even 100lbs. The goal is to make it through all sets and reps.

Abdominal work; This is to be heavy/weighted. Crunches end on end don't do anything, even having a 10lbs plate on your belly will help! Go for 3 or 4 sets of 8 or so reps.

Day 3;

Deadlifts; 8 sets. One rep. Same reason as sqauts. More fatigued you get, the worse your form gets.

Chin ups/Lateral pull downs; Try to go with chins, just do what you need to do to get 25 reps. rest and jump for each one if you need too.

Some kind of row; DB ROW, BB ROW, cable row, chest supported row. They all do the same thing, keep the form solid and don't try to jerk the weight around to get it moving. Do around 3-4 sets 8-12 reps.

Don't take it as Gospel, just take it as a guide. If you don't wan't to drag a sled (which alot of people don't), do some pull throughs with a cable machine with 15+ reps. There is no fluff there, this is just to get your body mechanized to repetition work. When you feel comfortable with squats and deads, change the rep range to 5x5. I didn't include any isolation work, and I follow the rule of if you can't flex it don't isolate it - it worked okay for me.

Built - you're absolutely right. i felt like i wore myself out early. i was trying to get a good idea of weight, but i shouldnt have done as many reps or as much weight. thanks for the continued advice. my next workout will be much better.

Bako - thanks for answering some of my questions. I did the deadlift with one hand over and one under like you said. and i did the bench like you said. no smith machine, and i touch my chest

mcvein - thanks for the support.

chubs - i agree with you. i think i'm going to spend the next couple of weeks trying to arrange the best workout for me. this will largely depend on what all of you guys suggest, so keep the advice coming. i'm just looking to get a good full body workout. i would like to grow evenly as far as muscle mass, but i understand that might be hard. oh, and you and risk are determined to make my head explode

risk - i'm assuming a rest day between each workout day, right? and i dont have a sled, so what are pull throughs with a cable machine?

everyone feel free to stick around and keep the advice coming.
    My Journal

had a good rest day today. went to the beach. ate a lot of protein today. trying to keep up the calories till I can get some supplements.

i'm deciding on what supplements to purchase, what do you guys personally suggest? and what cycle?
    My Journal

[QUOTE=TheLion;1699994]risk - i'm assuming a rest day between each workout day, right? and i dont have a sled, so what are pull throughs with a cable machine?[QUOTE]

http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/pullthrough.html

Don't sweat supplements. Everyone gets caught up with them and they are a farce. Get a protein powder, don't sweat the brand names too much and possibly a multi-vitamin. Concentrate on eating clean whole foods, eggs, chicken, steaks, nuts, milk, lots of vegetables (these are a great! Make monster gains with these guys0)

built - how often to take them

risk - thanks man. i'm trying to change my eating habits, but for right now i'm having a hard time getting all my protein by just eating a lot of food. i'm probably going to get some protein.
    Last edited by TheLion; 06-27-2007 at 09:32 AM.
    My Journal