The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    <3's WBB

Should I bother walking/jogging?

I just got a tracking number for my rack and bench, so im so happy right now, can hardly wait for them to arrive.

I went outside today and realized the sidewalk that circles my apartment building ... is a circle. I figured it'd be perfect for running/jogging around. It's cheaper than a treadmill, and right outside my door. Should I try to structure a day or two with something like HIIT? Like keep a good jogging pace, then do short sprints, and cycle. I might have misinterpreted HIIT, so bear with me.

I feel like I'm trying to do everything at once... my primary goal is losing getting body fat % down, secondary would be muscle gain... bulking and cutting aside, for someone who has never worked out before, is it possible to make some gains in strength, while losing fat at the same time, just by exercising and correcting my diet?

(P.S. Even though some people might find cardio useless, I think cardio might be a good idea all around, because heart problems seem to be common in my family, and I'd like to beat genetics if I could. Also, since my fat is mostly my gut, I figured a higher risk of diabetes isn't something to look forward to either... since I'm 21 and without those problems yet, I figured theres no time like the present to start workin out. I'll stop rambling now. Thank you )
    21, Male, 5' 10", Cutting
    Starting weight: 228lbs. Currently (05/01/08): 168.2lbs (59.8 lost)
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sure, do some HIIT.

I like to do a five minute warm up at a moderate pace, then three rounds of 1 minute all-out sprinting followed by 2 minutes jogging at a moderate pace, and then a five minute cool down. When this becomes too easy you can either add another round or you can just start running harder.

Another option is Tabata, which is pretty much a four minute trip to hell. You basically sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 10, sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 10, etc. for four straight minutes. Don't think that sounds hard? Try it. Some people do this with front squats, thrusters, on bicycles... basically whatever you can do that doesn't have a great chance of injury (benching, deadlifting or back squatting would not be ideal). It doesn't take much time but it's very unpleasant. I tried it recently and I've been too scared to try it again.

If you're trying to get your BF% down, then doing some HIIT around the block would be a good idea IMO.

And yes, I think if you just started, you could lose some fat and also increase your strength...
    6'2 - 194lbs @ 10.4%BF (August 08, 2007)

Goal: 205lbs @ 11%BF (December 21, 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by philou123 View Post
    If you're trying to get your BF% down, then doing some HIIT around the block would be a good idea IMO.

And yes, I think if you just started, you could lose some fat and also increase your strength...
    Yes newbie gains. Could last for a few good months.

Getting diet on track and exercising will have profound effects.

Becareful though, since you are new to exercising HIIT can kick your arse.

Naw man.. just get a wheelchair
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    yes, definitely.