The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ah yes i see haha
    2000 or bust

Learning as I progress
    I wish you luck stump. Hate to sound like a broken record but I think if anyone can do it, you can!

Only possible issue would be staying healthy, and I mean in terms of injuries. Be smart about things. Even if you werent to make your goal, I doubt many people could say they even ATTEMPTED such a feat.

GL!
    Complication breeds desperation.

thanks con
    2000 or bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    i will never, and i mean never touch steriods.

how bad do i want it? aside from my girlfriend i think about weight lifting ALL DAY LONG.
    sounds to me like you either dont want it as bad as you think you do, or you dont realise just how much you do want it

heres the attitude of someone who does want it - i dont give a damn about my health, if i die, then i die, i dont care if i have to put on another 100lbs, even though my grandad an dad have both had heart attacks, ill do it anyway, without thought- No g/f to think about, worry about, take me away from training cuss she misses me etc forget all that, not happening, no weakness for me thanks -You say you will never take gear, well since theres 20 guys in my local gym on gear everytime i go in, hell yeh ill take whatever i have to, it doesn't matter if i agree with it or not >im a strength terminator, ill do anything an everything i have to do to get where i wanna be, an thats why it'l happen

dont think im flaming stump, im not, i like you, an you will be a great powerlifter - as far as this 2000lbs goes, of course you can do that, why are you setting such a low goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Nah Stump I think you misunderstood Ryan. He's saying he "E knows" you, as in he hasn't met you IRL.
    Yep. Sorry for the confusion.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by 2PACMAN2 View Post
    sounds to me like you either dont want it as bad as you think you do, or you dont realise just how much you do want it

heres the attitude of someone who does want it - i dont give a damn about my health, if i die, then i die, i dont care if i have to put on another 100lbs, even though my grandad an dad have both had heart attacks, ill do it anyway, without thought- No g/f to think about, worry about, take me away from training cuss she misses me etc forget all that, not happening, no weakness for me thanks -You say you will never take gear, well since theres 20 guys in my local gym on gear everytime i go in, hell yeh ill take whatever i have to, it doesn't matter if i agree with it or not >im a strength terminator, ill do anything an everything i have to do to get where i wanna be, an thats why it'l happen

dont think im flaming stump, im not, i like you, an you will be a great powerlifter - as far as this 2000lbs goes, of course you can do that, why are you setting such a low goal?

...and that type of attitude has gotten you real far hasn't it. There's being "hardcore", and then there's being stupid. You fall into the latter category. Having a life, having a girlfriend shouldn't stop you from doing anything. If it does, you have problems. There are guys that have more of a life than you and will always lift more. If being "hardcore" makes you happy then by all means... be that way, but don't ever let it stop you from living a life.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    ...and that type of attitude has gotten you real far hasn't it. There's being "hardcore", and then there's being stupid. You fall into the latter category. Having a life, having a girlfriend shouldn't stop you from doing anything. If it does, you have problems. There are guys that have more of a life than you and will always lift more. If being "hardcore" makes you happy then by all means... be that way, but don't ever let it stop you from living a life.
    I was going to reply, but this is exactly what I would have typed.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Banned
    I agree with Home and Beast about the having a life. My girlfriend has taken me to the next level, mentally. However, I love what Pac says about doing what you gotta do. That's what it takes to be great.

Stump - you'll get where you wanna go. Just remember, strength is a marathon, not a sprint. Slow and steady. SFW

Quote Originally Posted by 2PACMAN2 View Post

Therein lies the tough choice and the real debate behind anabolic use.

The fact that to be the best you HAVE to make the choice to compromise your health to some degree because you have to use drugs to be the biggest and strongest in today's day and age.

That was, is, and always will be the worst for me personally. I want to be the strongest, and I think I have very good potential in the deadlift to be an absolute top tier guy, but I have 3 kids and I want to live to a ripe old age. I don't think steroids will kill me now, but I do think they will shorten my life in some way whether it be from an early heart attack, the early onset of cancer, or in some other way. I SO MUCH want to use them and see what I can really do, but I also temper that with the wisdom there is more to life...

It is hard...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

what do you want to accomplish chris??? what are your numbers now? i would guess in the high 600s or low 7s raw?? what kind of weight are you looking to lift?>

heres how i think, i just pulled 600 lbs today and im natural 17 yr old with less then 2 years experience, i think i can do it without steriods.
    2000 or bust

Iron4Life
    Lets say you keep progressing at a moderate rate... until you are 21..
    5 lbs a month on squat=60 lbs a yr
    5 lbs a month on DL=60 lbs a yr
    5 lbs every 2 months on BP= 30 lbs a yr
    1 lbs of lbm per month = 12 lbs a yr
    .5 lbs of fat per month = 6 lbs a yr

17 today...
    June 2008 - @18 your lifts = 560/380/660 total = 1600 @ 238 lbs
    June 2009 - @19 your lifts = 620/410/720 total = 1750 @ 256 lbs
    June 2010 - @20 your lifts = 680/440/780 total = 1900 @ 272 lbs
    June 2011 - @21 your lifts = 740/470/840 total = 2050 @ 286 lbs

and that's raw...

Whatta ya think Stumpster?? I think it's doable... real freakin' tough, but doable for you...
    you seem to have the genetics, the work ethic, the smarts and the desire...

Cross our fingers for no major health problems.. or injuries.. or major personal issues or distractions... and that you can get some advanced training like at Southside... compete in a few competitions per year to continue the learning...

Whoo Hooo.. I'm excited to just tag along and watch.. and hopefully get a few more workouts in with you before you are a global celebrity!! And get too big for your britches!! haha
    Last edited by Bob; 06-13-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    The fact that to be the best you HAVE to make the choice to compromise your health to some degree because you have to use drugs to be the biggest and strongest in today's day and age.

Even outside of drugs... NO elite competitor in any form of athletic endeavour doesn't compromise their health, and this is for a multitude of reasons. Injuries, years of crazy diets, exhausting schedules... there are so damn many things outside of steroids that take an even bigger toll on athlete's health. I would say that a few years of using testosterone would be one of the lesser concerns.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

haha, thanks for that little write up bob, hmm, pretty interesting! id be HUGE at 280 lol, i think i can handle it and i sure as hell will try my best.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by levronefan View Post
    what do you want to accomplish chris??? what are your numbers now? i would guess in the high 600s or low 7s raw?? what kind of weight are you looking to lift?>
    Higher than that, man. He's got a high 700's deadlift, high 600's bench, plus a 950ish squat. Just saw the most recent PLUSA Top 100 list and he's way up there.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Stump, I'm jealous :P

I no longer care about being huge. Take this damn dream and run with it. Once you hit 280+ lbs I want you to carry me around on your shoulders tho...

Just keep training hard. Anything is possible. However, remember that greatness usually comes by doing the things others refuse to do.

By the way, I was in no way meant to genetically carry 325 lbs. In my early twenties I was just over 200lbs. I wanted to play with the big boys so I set a course and never looked back. People go to the circus to see the elephants--not the mice!

Good luck in your quest!

thanks vinny!

*goes to subway for a footlong loaded*

:P
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Higher than that, man. He's got a high 700's deadlift, high 600's bench, plus a 950ish squat. Just saw the most recent PLUSA Top 100 list and he's way up there.
    There is a top powerlifter named Chris Mason who is different than our AtLarge friend eh.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Yah, thats Chris OX Mason And he is a fatty, our Chris Mason is clearly not

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Yah, thats Chris OX Mason And he is a fatty, our Chris Mason is clearly not
    that ish is totally confusing. i check elitefts pretty frequently. and i was wondering if it was the same person.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

does our chris mason coach or was that 'ox' who was the coach for the female powerlifter (forgot her name)?

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

It's Chris Ox Mason that coaches Hannah Johnson.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    ok, its your opinion, an thats alright, but why are you mocking me? i dont understand how you can imply that my progress has been bad, ive been hitting pr's in everything all the time since i started 20 months back..wheres that came from??

as far as im concerned, you can think my attitude is getting me nowhere when im breaking records, an ill keep thinking your attitude stinks 'there's guys that have more of a life than you an will always lift more' ***** off! thats the most negative thing ive ever read! what would you say to someone with cancer? 'theres people out there without cancer that are gonna live, an your not, so go ahead an die'..?? do you even know what PMA is?

What's PMA?

You always end up arguing with some of the smartest/most experienced guys on here. Go figure.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 06-13-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.