The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Advance powerlifters needs advice pls read & help me out

For about a decade I've made 4 major adjustments that change me dramatically.

1) Overtraining & Rest- In the mid 90's I thought more was better. I would do a full body workout everyday & then run 4-8 miles lol. I was in shape but disappointed with my results. I hit a plateau real quick. I revamped my workout, eased back a lot & had my 1st growth spurt.

2) Diet- I was a wanna be fighter. Cutting weight was a way of life. So eating like a bird got me no where. I started eating big & lifting big & had another growth spurt.

3) Cut back on cardio- I would run at LEAST 4 miles a day everyday. My job forced me to make a decision, focus on running or lifting, I decided to lift & yet another growth spurt.

4) GEAR) Started my 1st series in 04 & had a explosion of strength & size. Three years in & I'm become very knowledgeable about the compounds out there.

So from '98 to '07 I went from 175lbs to 240lbs & that?s no B.S it's a solid 240 (I'm 5'8). I have 2 herniated discs in my back so my squatting / dead lifting is limited (but I have great sementry). My bench went from 230lbs to 430lbs in that 9 year time frame.

I've now hit another plateau I know you have to change things up but there isn't much I don't know as far as typical weight training goes. My form is great. I get my rest, eat right & train like a mad man.

My bench for example I go for power once a week over 20 sets (1-3reps) mostly incline. I throw in flies, cable crossover & machines ( I use a bench press shirt also). I'm researching chains & bands now. Trying to take it to that next level. I want to hit 500lbs within 18 months. I also wanna get away from the fitness center & find a hard core power lifting gym.

Sorry this is kinda long but I'm humbly asking you for tips & techniques in the area of bench pressing. Hopefully this can help out guys in the same boat.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if im reading correctly, you do max effort bench with 20 sets within the 1-3 rep range? and on the incline?
    if so, reduce the sets down to 5 and switch over to flat rather than incline.

what is your workout routine like?
    if your looking for a killer bench, check out metal militia and few other powerlifting training routines that have you benching twice a week. beginning twice a week using max effort movement and dynamic effort.

Dude, the next step is.......

SPEED.

Check out Westside-Barbell.com.

And I'm with JttegX. That's a whole lotta sets, too many for ME. And I agree you should switch to flat instead of incline. Incline isn't very important, not a whole lot of carry over to flat, imo.

This may help with your bench press

Banned
    You're not attacking it the right way if you're a powerlifter. Way too much work. You're not advanced if that's what you're doing. No offense, but you're still a beginner and you have yet to grasp the methods. Read the Westside Barbell stuff and get back to us in 5 years after you've built a base.

You really need to find some experienced powerlifters to train with. You sound like you have no idea what you're doing.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    You really need to find some experienced powerlifters to train with. You sound like you have no idea what you're doing.

Ok it appears I don't have a clue.Are you guys just gonna flame me or give me some recemendations. Thank you guys that DID give str8 advice. I hope flaming isn't what this sites about

They both gave you legitimate advice though it came off harsh.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 06-19-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Dude, stop crying. Advice was given. Take it for what it's worth, and start reading about powerlifting. There was no "flaming". There were honest answers to questions. Sorry, the truth hurts sometimes. Welcome to real life.

lets play nice now

Quote Originally Posted by RJ-JR View Post
    Ok it appears I don't have a clue.Are you guys just gonna flame me or give me some recemendations. Thank you guys that DID give str8 advice. I hope flaming isn't what this sites about
    No this site isn't about flaming... Where are you from? Maybe there's some guys on here that could hook you up with someone to train with...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ-JR View Post
    I hope flaming isn't what this sites about
    haha you sound like me. i've learned a lot from this site, the biggest thing being, if you ask more advice, be prepared to get advice. these people are not trying to bash you even though they are coming off a little strong. they just mean to help you, even though some people do sound like douche bags. don't argue with them becaues if you know everything already, then why are you asking for help in the first place?? i learned this the hard way.

as they were saying, you might want to look up westside training cause it's a very good training routine for powerlifters which will introduce you to stuff that'll greatly expand your knowledge and help you become stronger.
    pce easy
    Last edited by 123 champ; 06-19-2007 at 07:57 PM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts
    Squat: 295x5
    Bench: 215x1
    Deadlift: 300x5

I'd say getting away from the fitness center and finding a hardcore powerlifting gym would definitely be the right move. Getting freaky strong in powerlifting is all about having the right people around you. People with experience who can turn you on to new techniques and will push you hard in the gym. Also, training with freaky strong people is humbling and enlightening at the same time. So do it, and listen to guys like Rhodehouse because he didn't get freaky strong from doing stuff that doesn't work!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I'd say getting away from the fitness center and finding a hardcore powerlifting gym would definitely be the right move. Getting freaky strong in powerlifting is all about having the right people around you. People with experience who can turn you on to new techniques and will push you hard in the gym. Also, training with freaky strong people is humbling and enlightening at the same time. So do it, and listen to guys like Rhodehouse because he didn't get freaky strong from doing stuff that doesn't work!
    freaky strong and rhodes?????? WOW lmfao

Go to AtLarge's site (www.atlargenutrition.com) and read Mike Wolfe's Stack-it-Attack it-Rack-it column. It will tell you EXACTLY what you need to know.

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/mikewolfe_issue4.php

Chris
    Last edited by chris mason; 06-22-2007 at 05:33 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccray View Post
    freaky strong and rhodes?????? WOW lmfao

Dude, all you do is bench. And rambling on about how much you bench is not a valid comeback. Try Squatting and DLing to compete, not just to stay in shape and help your bench, then make fun of me. You put 900 on your back and then we can talk. I may not be able to touch you on the bench, but you can't even be in the same room as me when we squat.

Glad we had this talk.

lol
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Play nice boys!

Way to much testosterone in the tread. I am on the boat with others about finding a local coach/trainer. Powerlifting is a completely different style then the likes of bodybuilding.

The herniated discs disks really put a damper on the lifting as squats and deads are big ones. Can they be fully recovered from?