The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problem hitting chest

No matter what I try my shoulders or tris always seem to take over in any kind of chest movement. My chest is lagging way way behind my shoulders and it's getting to the point where it could be a problem. Leaning forward on dips is so far the only movement where I can really feel it in my chest. Any suggestions, or do I just stick to dips as my primary chest movement?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    How close is your grip on bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    How close is your grip on bench?
    how far apart or close should they be? I seem to have the same problem. At the end of my bench work my chest feels fine but my arms and shoulders feel sore.

Banned
    arch your back allot on the bench or use decline, pound the weight out, always works my chest good.

So you actually feel it in the chest?

I NEVER feel anything in the chest after a work out, unless I'm doing flies.

try the DB squeeze press (1st exercise listed):

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1597765

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Are you sure the imbalance is that severe?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by faithless View Post
    At the end of my bench work my chest feels fine but my arms and shoulders feel sore.
    Exactly my problem. I've tried decline bench, more or less the same result.

The squeeze press looks very very interesting and I'm looking forward to trying it! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Are you sure the imbalance is that severe?
    To be honest, this is very hard to judge. When I started lifting I was able to work my chest more just by focusing on it and trying to use my chest more. Kind of hard to explain really. I now have lost that ability and my shoulders/ tris just take over.
    Last edited by faster; 06-13-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Thats really weird, I can always feel the soreness in my chest after some heavy bench pressing.

[Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faster View Post
    No matter what I try my shoulders or tris always seem to take over in any kind of chest movement. My chest is lagging way way behind my shoulders and it's getting to the point where it could be a problem. Leaning forward on dips is so far the only movement where I can really feel it in my chest. Any suggestions, or do I just stick to dips as my primary chest movement?
    How's your benching form? Are your shoulders pinned back to the bench? Where is the vertical bar movement plane relative to your chest? How wide is your grip?

how far apart or close should they be? I seem to have the same problem. At the end of my bench work my chest feels fine but my arms and shoulders feel sore.
    I keep my hands just a bit wider than my shoulders. I pretty much form a right angle between my upper and lower arms when my upper arms are parallel to the floor.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Try dumbell benching. Start with light weights using super strict form, so you're basically flexing your chest muscles with dumbells.

Gradually increase the weight week after week, making sure to maintain the strict form and feel in your chest.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    According to Bill Starr your elbows should be directly under your wrists in a straight line when you grip the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard 9 View Post
    That really helped. I can see where I went wrong now. It sucks cause I've been doing it wrong for the last 2 months.

That really helped. I can see where I went wrong now. It sucks cause I've been doing it wrong for the last 2 months.
    Yeah, but now you can do it right from now on lol.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by faster View Post
    use dumbbells only on bench for a while maybe, an cable cross over should work well

Banned
    wow he talks about working the different parts of the chest.
    hmm he must not know that it is impossible to work different parts, least thats what most peopel here claim..........
    that guy must know nothing about building muscles then

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Please don't post links that contain incorrect information.

And milos is a IBBF pro. Drugs and genetics gave him those chest muscles.

His advice is totally useless for a genetically average natural.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    wow he talks about working the different parts of the chest.
    hmm he must not know that it is impossible to work different parts, least thats what most peopel here claim..........
    that guy must know nothing about building muscles then

He doesn't. Drugs and genetics gave him those results, not his training advice.

So where's the best place to learn to build a good chest? I've been doing it for 2 months with no results.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    So where's the best place to learn to build a good chest? I've been doing it for 2 months with no results.

If you are feeling it in your triceps and shoulders, but not your chest, it seems a simple case of putting your hands too close together. The next time you bench follow these steps.

Lie down on the bench and 'lock' yourself on it.

Grip the bar with your hands positioned so that your wrists are directly above your elbows.

Lift the bar and lower it to your chest. It should tap your chest lightly. Then drive it back up to the top.

Repeat

You may have to use less weight for a while since you are using a wider grip. This is fine. Re-educating the muscles before training with heavy weights is the safest way to go about this.

Be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Are you suppose to feel pain in your shoulders and lower back as your benching? I know you're suppose to pinch your shoulder blades down and under and keep that position throughout the set. I've been doing that for about 2 days and I feel strain on the shoulders and lower back.
    Last edited by faithless; 06-14-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Are you suppose to feel pain in your shoulders and lower back as your benching? I know you're suppose to pinch your shoulder blades down and under and keep that position throughout the set. I've been doing that for about 2 days and I feel strain on the shoulders and lower back.

How much weight are you using? You should be feeling some strain..but if it's actual pain, then something is wrong.

Banned
    thats a lame assumption, his training and diet had nothing to do with it, bull crap on you my friend.