The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Get big.

Groin muscle pain from squats

Hey guys, this has been a problem from a few weeks but I just did legs yesterday and it was a lot worse so I figured I'd make a post about it.

Basically, I have a bad pain in my right groin muscles when I do leg exercises such as back squats, front squats, hack squats, even the leg press. I'm not sure of the name of the exact muscle and I couldn't find a great picture online but this is pretty much exactly the area:

I'm thinking the pain is due to being inflexible (I've really been working on my form recently so I think I've been doing squats with crappy form for a long time). Taking a wide stance when squatting help minimize the pain but its still there on the negative and positive portion of the lift. Even light weight (135lbs) is painful

So... anyone have any idea of what is wrong and how I should go about fixing it? Should I avoid training legs for a couple weeks or should I maybe just train them with very light weight? Does this sound like something I should see a doctor about or is it likely just a pulled muscle? Thanks for any help

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You probablly just pulled it somehow. Whenever I pull a groin I just try to stay off it until it goes away (about 5 days or so) then its fine.
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

most likely you have very tight hip flexors or groin muscles

Let it recover fully before working it again. When you do, I'd probably do some range of motion tests by doing squats with good form using your bodyweight only. If you feel any tension, esp when your bottom is getting nearer the ground, thats probably it.
    Don't eat the yellow snow

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=97865

Check out this thread, in particular my post on the second page.

I would think wide stance would worsen it.

:withstupi ... yea i agree I'd think that widening your stance would only put more stress on your groins.
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

Quote Originally Posted by n4rd0 View Post
    :withstupi ... yea i agree I'd think that widening your stance would only put more stress on your groins.
    Squatting and pulling with a wide stance puts a helluva lot more stress on your hips and groin than doing the same with a close stance.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

I'd like to chime-in too. Whenever I get up to a weight that is difficult for me, I start to get this searing cramp that seems to be eminating from right behind/underneath my bean bag. As I relax, the "cramp" (or whatever it is) seems to relax.

I'm being very sincere, here.

It's happened to me before during intense sets of depth jumps, at the lowest point of coiling-up, right when I start to explode upward.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

I had a similar bout with this area. Warm up properly and stretch at the end of your workout. I have started stretching 2x a day and the pain is gone. Mine started when I introduced sumo stance deads. Rest it first and get more flexable.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

How I got rid of this issue was to introduce higher rep exercises. Like taking a squat weight that you do 12 of and get 20 out of it. The higher reps helped condition the muscles . I also trained the muscle groups more frequently not to sure if that helped resolve it.

I had the same problem you have, I corrected it by stretching the muscles in my groin area really good before starting my workout. I don't have a vid or pic of the stretch I do but it's where you are crouched down and have one leg stretched out to your side while the other one is bent under you for support along with your hands. You slowly lower yourself until you feel your groin muscles being stretched. I no longer have that pain when i'm squatting or straining in any other kind of lift.
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

I agree with all the stuff about wide stance pulling/squatting. It does put a lot more strain on the adductors, and I have felt tightness and pain in the groin area after.