The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

So what do you all think?

So, I'm a bit new to this, but I [I]think[I] I'm heading in the right direction.

Monday- Run 4 miles

Tuesday- Chest- flat bench, incline bench, decline press
    Tricep- skull crushers, rope pull down, push down
    Abs
    Wednsday- Run 4 miles

Thursday- Shoulders-upright row, shrugs, military press
    Biceps- hammer curls, preacher curls, wide arm curl
    Abs
    Friday - Run.....yeah, you guessed it 4 miles

Saturday- Back-lat pull down, seated row,
    Legs- Squat, legpress, lying leg curl, calf raises
    Abs
    I am currently doing 3x6. I try to do 3 exercises per muscle targeted.

My question, is this overtraining, or just plain all over the place?

I'm in the military so I run for the tests and to be in decent cario-shape. As far as the lifting goes, i want to pick up some bulk and get stronger.

What do you guys think? Would you change any of this or add or remove any part of this considering my goals. Or would giggle to yourself, roll your eyes and just start fresh?
    My wife cooks very well so I tend to eat pretty healthy. I don't really eat much fast food other then subway or quizno's, so the diet is pretty on par i think.......
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you goal is to bulk up I would say start tracking calories. Thats the only way to tell if you are eating enough to gain. www.fitday.com , its free and easy to use. I would add deadlifts to that routine on back day. SLDL's instead of leg curls. I don't think your triceps need so much direct work after all of the benching.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Since u are new to this, why not look at doing the Starting Strength Routine:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows

You alternate Workout A and Workout B every other day, 3 times a week. So you could either do Mon, Wed, Fri or Tues, Thurs. and Sat. Depending on what works best for you.

Example:

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday -Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B
    Etc.

If you want to gain size/strength, you are going to have eat more calories than you burn. Since you are also running 12 miles a week, you will need to compensate that with extra cals.
    Last edited by Mr. D; 07-17-2007 at 06:55 PM.

1. I would drop that routine and use a pre made one such as the one mentioned above.
    2. Its going to be verrry hard to bulk up if your doing cardio exspecially long distance type like that. But check out HIIT if cardio is a must.
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

Wannabebig Member
    I'm fine with dropping my current routine for the one you have suggested. I do have some questions regarding that routine. Do I not want to target muscles, such as biceps, or calves? Also, that routine seems like it would be easier that the routine i am currently doing, and in my limited experience, easier isn't better. I am willing to cut back my running to maybe only 2-3 miles everyother day to help offset the use of calories, but I still feel like that routine is not as targeted as my current (granted I've not tried it yet). One last question, how long should i stick with that routine before (if) i return to my current? Thanks again for the help!

Focus on eating and doing compound lifts.

Squatting 3x a week is not "easy". Neither is deadlifting twice a week on some weeks. In this routine, your major muscles are hit twice a week. In your split, you are basically raping the muscle once a week.

Once you get more advanced in your training you can progess to a more intermediate program and add in isolation exercises.