The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    <3's WBB

Looking for home gym equip suggestions

I've been reading what I can, and based on an earlier suggestion am ditching the idea of buying a home-gym-machine-thing. But, I want to make sure I have all the basics down.

Powerline PPR200 Power Rack w/Chin Up ($194+$100SH ... Purchased!)
    Body Solid FID46 w/Leg Developer ($144+$50SH ... Purchased!)
    Fitness Gear (Dick's) Olympic Barbell + 300 Pound Weight Set ($109.99+Tax ... Purchased!)
    Hollow Curl Bar + Dumbbell Kit ($49+SH)
    Plate Tree ($39.99+Tax ... Purchased!)
    Rubber Flooring ($???)
    Plus some other odds and ends. Gloves, belt, etc.

Update (6/4): Okay, so I ran over my $600 limit and ended up spending about $800. I figured I didn't do too bad for buying equipment the first time. The Bench and Rack should be here by the end of the month (says up to 3 weeks, i havent gotten tracking info yet).
    Last edited by dscarth; 06-04-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    21, Male, 5' 10", Cutting
    Starting weight: 228lbs. Currently (05/01/08): 168.2lbs (59.8 lost)
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That's a great list to start with. If you are going to buy adjustable dumbbells you will probably go over your $600 limit. You may just want to get some olympic dumbbell handles instead.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

<3's WBB
    Just as an update, I bought the 300-lb set from dicks sporting goods today, this was definately an awesome deal for what it is. I totally overlooked getting the plate tree cause i was so happy to get the weights (so they are now sitting on the floor), so im gonna run back out to sports authority and see what they have.

Scooter: Thanks for the dumbbell handle suggestion, definately a great idea.

Anyone know of any power rack deals I overlooked before I jump on the sams one?

Thanks everyone!
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

Under $200 for a powerrack?!

Sign me up.

I've been looking around, and I can't find it anywhere for that low. Where are you buying it from?

*edit: Nevermind :P

I'm keeping an eye on this. You think you could post back here if you buy it and let me know if the rack is worth a crap?
    Last edited by Chris686; 05-31-2007 at 08:50 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

I got my Yukon rack for right around $200. I love it.

Daddy K.
    I got one for 150 bucks. It's a Gold's Gym one and it's a Rack and bench.

<3's WBB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutu_67 View Post
    I got one for 150 bucks. It's a Gold's Gym one and it's a Rack and bench.
    Is it a rack or a smith?

How much is that shipping gonna run you for the power rack? I found a squat rack+Oly bar+300lbs for $70 locally on craigslist.com.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

<3's WBB
    I figure shipping will run like 60 bucks, so 70 for all that seems exceptionally good. I didn't see anything like that (or any power racks for that matter) on my local craigslist.

Good stuff man. Looks like you're getting everything you need. Does your power rack have a dip bar attachment? If not, you might want to get a separate dip bar at some point. That's really all I can think of. You could probably get a handle to do T-Bar rows with your barbell too, but you can probably get away without that for quite some time.

With your current setup, I would actually recommend against doing WBB 1. Why not a full body routine instead? You could choose three compounds each day: one legs, one push, one pull, and do that three days a week.

Day 1: Squat, Bench Press, Pullups
    Day 2: Deadlift, Standing OH Press, Barbell Lunges
    Day 3: Front Squat, Barbell Row, Dips

Just a thought. I've always thought a set-up like the one you posted is ideal for such a routine.
    Last edited by Tofer; 06-01-2007 at 01:33 PM.

I got a golds gym bench/squat rack and 350 lbs of weight, olympic bar, some dumbells, easy curl bar, and it's on my deck I just lift outside.
    6'2"
    220 lbs
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Eat
    Sleep
    Repeat

<3's WBB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    Geood stuff man. Looks like you're getting everything you need. Does your power rack have a dip bar attachment? If not, you might want to get a separate dip bar at some point. That's really all I can think of. You could probably get a handle to do T-Bar rows with your barbell too, but you can probably get away without that for quite som time.

With your current setup, I would actually recommend against doing WBB 1. Why not a full body routine instead? You could choose three compounds each day: one legs, one push, one pull, and do that three days a week.

Day 1: Squat, Bench Press, Pullups
    Day 2: Deadlift, Standing OH Press, Barbell Lunges
    Day 3: Front Squat, Barbell Row, Dips

Just a thought. I've always thought a set-up like the one you posted is ideal for such a routine.
    I'm an exercise noob, so the stuff I decided on was only after reading on WBB, which is why I guess I did as well as I did :-P . No dip bar attachment just a chin-up bar... is there a universal dip-bar addon for power racks, like something that attaches across the two safety bar things?

Also, I thought WBB1 was considered a full body routine?

WBB1 is a body part split. A full body routine means you're working your entire body each workout day.

I think the general consensus among people who train elite athletes as a career, is that a body part split is far less effective than a full body routine, and that the list of people who fully benefit from doing them is very small. Some people, like Alwyn Cosgrove, for example, downright hate body part splits. Read part of this entertaining article he posted (entitled "20 thing that make me shake my head"):

4) BODYPART SPLITS

I think my mission in life is to rid the world of this ridiculous workout notion. Somehow this highly developed organism that we call the human body is not a remarkable piece of machinery that functions flawlessly as a unit, it's just random ass "parts" put together ó each of which can be worked separately.

My arse.

You didn't even turn your computer on using only one muscle so why in God's name are you trying to develop a body using some sort of body part split?

And while I'm on the subject, how come fingers and toes don't get their own "day"?

Biceps get their own special recognition, what about fingers and toes and sternocleido mastoids? Or left arm on one day, right arm on another day (different body parts)? Because it's stupid, right? Well, so is splitting up your chest and shoulder "days".

There are NO athletes other than a small bunch of genetically gifted, pharmaceutical abusing individuals who use a "body part" split with any success. NONE.

Now, if you ARE one of the genetic elite pharmaceutical abusers, then feel free.

Split routines arrived on the scene shortly after Dianabol was popular. Do you see the connection?

Now before you ask me, "Can I split up my routine in some way?" Of course you can. But split it up based on what your body DOES, not based on what "part" it is. Splitting up by parts makes as much sense as splitting up by the number of freckles in that area.
    It still amazes me how many people on here still recommend WBB1 to new lifters who come here seeking advice. I think a full body routine, an upper/lower routine, or even a push/pull/legs routine are all superior and will give you better results. I mean, I'm guessing you probably came on here and made a thread where a whole bunch of people started mentioning WBB1, so it's really not your fault, but try to be critical of what people tell you and do more reading on your own. There are a lot of people on web forums who are nothing more than parrots.

Wannabebig Member
    Any feedback on the Bowflex? I've never tried one and see their commercials everywhere. Anyone with hands on experience?

Quote Originally Posted by roodeem View Post
    Any feedback on the Bowflex? I've never tried one and see their commercials everywhere. Anyone with hands on experience?
    Free weights>BowFlex
    6'2"
    220 lbs
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench
    Arms
    Shoulders
    Eat
    Sleep
    Repeat

Daddy K.
    You can get better stuff with your money then a Bowflex, and still have money left over. And that Gold's Gym it's a power rack fully adjustable, and the bench is a whole seperate piece, with preacher curl attachment.

<3's WBB
    Okay, I finished shopping. Rubber flooring I should pick up soon, other than that I'm done. Thanks everyone!

edit and P.S. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    I'm keeping an eye on this. You think you could post back here if you buy it and let me know if the rack is worth a crap?
    I've purchased the rack, shipping I think is 2-3 weeks by truck, but I will put it together and post back here my first-thoughts so you and others looking at that rack know what I think.
    Last edited by dscarth; 06-04-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Check out jesupgym (I can't post the direct URL due to post count). I just ordered the power rack (PPR200) and the lat attachment for it from them. The rack was $275 and the attachment was $179.95 (shipping included in the prices). I found them on eBay about a year ago when I was looking for a shrug bar. They ship via FedEx Ground, which takes about five business days.

The power rack will be an upgrade from my old Weider one...the Body-Solid is rated to 800 pounds, plus the lat attachment has a low pulley.

Rubber flooring I should pick up soon
    I recommend getting that from Sam's Club. It may not be quite as good as what you would find in a sporting goods store, but it is a lot cheaper. I lined the floor of my 10x12 Tuff Shed with it (turned all of it over to the black side instead of the pretty pastels).
    Last edited by Yog-Sothoth; 06-13-2007 at 11:53 AM.

<3's WBB
    The Body-Solid FID46 bench went together pretty smoothly, and even though the packaging materials inside were exploded apart (and a hole punched in the box) thanks to the delicacy of UPS. Only one washer was missing (!), which i grabbed from home depot. Easy to follow instructions, and the assembly guide was pretty straightforward.
    It's definately a solid bench, nicer than i was expecting.

The PPR200 rack also went together smoothly, and is fairly sturdy. There is a slight wobble when you push it, which I attribute to my foam (foam rubber?) exercise flooring giving it a cushion to push down into when pushed against.

I wish the spacing was closer in the middle holes, but other than that not bad. I was considering getting two more 1" thick mats large enough to put under the bench to boost the bench up a little to compensate for the lack of fine-adjustment of the rack. I think for the price, these two things were pretty decent.

edit: Clarified post, because I started typing random thoughts and didn't arrange them all properly before submitting :P
    Last edited by dscarth; 06-13-2007 at 05:37 PM.