The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093

    American Vs German Drinking (Mainly rant)

    American, and German Drinking.

    First off often times when I compare the two, generally one comes out negative. It varies on the topic at hand however either way I get blasted by people going “How do you believe you’re so qualified to write, or speak of such topics” And here is my reason for this. I’m German/American. I’m straight down the middle I’ve seen the American way, the German way and the combo. I live in Germany at a time in my life where I can drink and can view at the same time Germans, and Americans drinking and their behaviors at the same time. On top of all of this I’m intelligent enough to make the comparison of my observations. So before anyone of either side questions my “capabilities” to review and discuss such topics remember I’ve seen both sides, more so then the other side has seen either side.

    In the area I live there is roughly 55,000 Americans, and no true number on Germans but considering the vast amount of cities, and towns I’m bringing into scope here saying 1,000,000 Germans is not unthinkable. For one city has almost 400,000 people living in its limits alone. Now lets assume for the sake of argument the ratio for both going out are the same, which I’m sure it is and lets put that number at 10% so 5,500 Americans go out, and 100,000 Germans go out on the weekend to drink and party.

    Now before we go on to other facts how about we first look at the cultures and their attitude towards the drinking. Which are vastly different? In Germany it is not uncommon to start drinking at age 13, by age 15 chances are your becoming a regular at it and 16 you’re officially of legal age to drink beer and wine. Although few people pay attention to that law and drink whatever they feel like at the time. In fact it is often side “Old enough to see across the bar, old enough for a beer” so the attiude towards drinking is extremely laid back. Now, generally even before 13 you’ve had your fair share of glasses of wine, a bottle or two of beer here and there. Maybe even some harder liquor as a shot after you finished a meal at a restaurant. By this time your already somewhat used to alcohol. Now you generally learn to drink (yes there is a way to do it) by someone you’ve known for a long time, someone who knows what they are doing. So you learn the ropes from them, such critical things of control the flow such as taking a shot and waiting a few minutes, maybe snipping on a beer for this time period or being active such as playing pool or darts. Then after this time period get another, and when you start getting tipsy slow down and enjoy yourself. Generally that is what the average German is going for being tipsy that is. However of course they are the times where you just plan want to go out and get drunk party and have a great time and not tipsy. Even then because you’ve been doing this for such a long time you have a sufficient amount of self control over yourself even when drunk. Now before anyone bashes me with the quote “When you’re drunk you do stuff you wouldn’t do when your sober” well no **** Sherlock, however it is how much self control you have, how much you maintain. Sure anyone’s ambition will be lowered when drunk and they will more quickly do something without thinking, but to the degree is the key.

    Now onto the American way which in most states (there are expectations) drinking age is 21 years of age. Although this rarely has a major impact on the ones that want to drink regardless. But either way such a high age limit naturally puts the alcohol subject in taboo world. When something is in taboo world it does not mean it is not occurring, sex in America (as in actual intercourse) is far more taboo then other countries such as Germany, yet to claim that it does not happen is crazy. So now since its taboo naturally there is not as much information about it, so people have to figure out it out by themselves. Then as anyone can tell you drinking alcohol is like firing a gun, it can kill you, others, or both. And as any gun owner would tell you trying to figure out how to use a gun without some form of instruction is reckless and stupid and could easily lead to you killing others, killing your self or both. Same goes for drinking. So now back onto the topic of drinking being taboo, since it is taboo often times the people who are with you when you first get drunk or often times are your peers and just as inexperienced as you in the drinking of alcohol and teach you the wrong ways as in “Why take a shot and wait 20 minutes, take a shot and then take 5 more within that 20 minutes” trust me I’ve seen this played over and over again. So you get stupid drunk and get into fights and have very little self control for since its taboo, and your drinking recklessly it’s a item to let go of everything toss it out in the window and go have a ball, well until the cop is reading you your rights as blood runs down your face from the bar fight cause you thought it was going be a good idea.

    Now as in described in the above paragraphs Germans generally have more self control, because it is not taboo and they are used to it, therefore know how to handle the alcohol. Therefore let’s toss you some examples. You’re in a club partying having a good time you bump into a man and spill his drink, what does he do? In my experience depends on the person. If it is a German the response generally will be “that’s ok, just buy me another round” in fact you buy them a round, including yourself do the round get to know them and the incident could make you a extra friend. Funny thing is one of my better drinking buddy we met this way. Now you knock into an American and the result can vary drastically. They may be nice about it or rude to down right fighting mode. Then the chances of you becoming good friends with them are slim, over spilt liquid. The reason, their self control is not as great as a Germans is the fact that Americans are not used to drinking alcohol in a fun social-able manner.

    Now lets go back to those numbers, every Monday my paper has a page dedicated to this weekends illegal incidents, the military has no worries about publishing ones misdeeds in order to teach them a lesson about reasonability. In my experience of reading those sections rarely do I find the words “Local national” or “German” often times I see the word “Fight” “American GI” “Solider” “Airman” “Private”, now it may surprise you but those terms mainly the last 4 terms aren’t referring to Germans. They are referring to Americans, and they are the majority of the problem. Even though they are the minority out partying

    Now generally around this type of argument (if I’m in it with a English speaker) he goes “But you only see one side” Earlier in the paper I stated I am a German/American so I get the German side, I watch the German news, read the German news as well etc. I am also very good friends with local bartenders and owners of clubs etc. Often times we end up discussing the latest fights, and other incidents which occurred. Typically a German was not even involved, and when they are they generally are not the ones which caused the problem, or escalated it to the point it reached. In fact more Americans cause more hassle for the local authorities then the Germans, and there’s over 90,000 more Germans then Americans on the streets on the weekend. This all goes to say something about Americans in general, and as an American I’m ashamed of that fact. Americans are far more irresponsible about drinking then Europeans.

    So now your going “Ok captain obvious what is next, how do we solve it?” well I’ll tell you what’s next, take the alcohol subject and squash it. Do what Germany does, why not allow drinking at 18? Hell how about we make 16 the legal drinking age. Maybe even say that if occupied by an adult a kid of 13 can drink. What would this do to cruve the drinking problem? Well that is a simple question to answer.

    Kids will not be binge drinking as much they will not care too. For when I was a young lad growing up (still am a young lad in fact) I often times would drink several beers in a night when I’m at home. When I would go out, not only would be I used to the alcohol, but I would also be used to consuming it and controlling it therefore I rarely got into much trouble. Sure we all have our moments, but I had far less then what a typical American would have. The reason being I was bought up drinking. Therefore if you take the tabooness out of alcohol it is no longer attractive to drink until your drop and some. For what rebel against something that no one cares if you rebel. Want to go to the pub? Go to the pub, enjoy yourself. Get used to drinking and enjoy it, be responsible.

    Therefore in final conclusion, Americans biggest drinking problem has nothing to do with anything besides the government’s ability to make it so damn attractive. To make it an “Adult” thing to do, to make a past time as old as man taboo to make it seem as something special makes kids desire it so much when they get the chance they go all the way, right into the ER with a stomach pump. That is the reason why Americans are so irresponsible when it comes to drinking.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member McVein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,159
    Holy crap that is long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

  4. #3
    Crrrrrrrrrrest!!!!! mikey4402's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kent,ohio
    Posts
    1,650
    its too early to read that...but america is better, so it wins
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

  5. #4
    Risk10k Clifford Gillmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,760
    Get the **** outta my way, drunk Australian bowlin' through cobber!

  6. #5
    mind/body zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    386
    I can find myself agreeing with one premise, which is that since youth dont sit down and drink around their parents or adults, instead of having them as a model for how to consume alcohol, they have only their peers and movies like animal house (lol, okay, well, it just an example of a movie with drinking in it).
    Seriously, behavior modeling does not stop at a young age. We all know that adolescents are still looking around with wide eyes trying to find social patterns, which can cause a lot of problems.

    When I was 16, I did not know how to regulate my drinking. I got ****faced and I did it fast.
    Now, I drink much more like you say is the "german way", but I think I arrived there primarily because of the two following reasons (but there are more):
    1) I got punished by my body too many times for my wanton drinking
    2) I got bored with it.

    Maybe saying "bored with it" is the wrong way to say it. After the 'newness' and experimentalism died off, I soon started to realize that being ****faced wasn't as enjoyable as finding a good 'buzz' or maybe a step beyond that. Being so drunk that you cannot complete a thought, let alone phrase an entire sentence, is not really that much fun (atleast to me, most of the time. lol).

    Also, In regards to social behavior while drinking, I don't know if ALL of it is due to the phenomenon described above (having proper drinking role models), I also think it partially has to do with culture. Americans are certainly less "laid back" as europeans, as a generalization of course, there are always lots of individual exceptions.

    But I can agree, with most of what you said. I think maybe I can try to sum up the difference in the way drinking is viewed psychologically by the two:
    In Germany (or the UK) drinking is a commonplace recreation, in America, it's a sport.
    Last edited by zen; 06-16-2007 at 08:09 AM.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

  7. #6
    Banned KingJustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,025
    My cousin is doing a study abroad in Berlin. Here is a message he sent me on facebook:
    "The girls here are all really busted. Its great tho because were all jerks to them. last night we went to a club and kicked all the chicks out of the cages and off of the stage. theyre so quiet out here, i feel like were always so obnoxious but i dont really care."

    Anyway, a few comments...
    First, GI's are always the ones getting in fights. It's not that Americans are causing problems, GI's are causing problems.

    Also, I know that I, personally, can get absolutely hammered and not do anything that I completely regret. This was probably not true a few years ago, but the more you drink, the better you are able to semi-control yourself when you get ****faced. It's hard to explain I guess, but even if I get so drunk that I really struggle walking, I am still not going to be drunk dialing bitches and getting into fights now.

    "In Germany (or the UK) drinking is a commonplace recreation, in America, it's a sport."
    I like that. That's especially true in high school. People always discussed how many beers they could bong, who was the best beer pong player, who could drink the most, etc. That happens a little as you get older, but not nearly as much.

  8. #7
    Footballer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI.
    Posts
    1,432
    I think you forgot an important point. Americans are on average more arrogant than others.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

  9. #8
    Senior Member BilltheButcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    We are American, so right off the bat we are better then you. Might makes right. Just keep funneling the middle east your weapons and nuclear secrets. Thanks Germany.

    Anyways people that are American in Germany are there as GI's or vacation so lets, see. Your on leave or on vacation so obviously your going to cut loose. Only thing I have to compare it to is the English students that came to the US and I had to teach them how to bartend. They were the most obnoxious drunks going.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

  10. #9
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,404
    bring on any german russian or irish person i bet i will give any of them a run for their money in the drinking category, i became sorat a legdend around my friends and fam for the vast amounts i can drink and remain coherant...lol


    honestly u have some good points about the cultures and attitudes about drinking but in the end it comes down to the person and what they can handle, some people can drink all day and remain fine and cool (ie me) and some people have a few drinks and turn into ass holes and often get their asses kicked for these reason


    just depends on the person....


    i know ive been gone for a while and my first post is about drinking....lol
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  11. #10
    WBBs motivational Speaker Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Between a girls ties!
    Posts
    4,593
    You serious? you want to challenge a russian to a drinking contest? That is not a god idea.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    139
    Quasi alles richtig was du behauptest.

    ...more or less right, what you say.

  13. #12
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    You serious? you want to challenge a russian to a drinking contest? That is not a god idea.
    hey, i dont back down, plus i know when to say when, but im pretty sure i can give him a run for his money
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    Worst read in my life...

    You could have said that same thing in two sentences. Plus, I still don't get your point: Germans have self-control, Americans don't?

  15. #14
    is taking names. Can'tstopnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    837
    My buddy from Finland could down a case of budweisers and consider it a warmup. No way I would take the across the pond challenge for drinking champion of the world. American beer is water in comparison.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

    Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

    He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    223
    Why the hell are we talking about alcohol its a body building site! and no who ever can drink more isnt the bigger man well fatter man maybe or alcoholic man The less you drink eg once every 2months you can get drunk off less happy days.
    I dont know if its about how much people can drink i didnt read it all!
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

    JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

  17. #16
    Banned KingJustin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,025
    Quote Originally Posted by samj View Post
    Why the hell are we talking about alcohol its a body building site! and no who ever can drink more isnt the bigger man well fatter man maybe or alcoholic man The less you drink eg once every 2months you can get drunk off less happy days.
    I dont know if its about how much people can drink i didnt read it all!
    you should sober up before you post.

  18. #17
    Senior Member McVein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    bring on any german russian or irish person
    bahahhahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Merseyside, England
    Posts
    223
    you should sober up before you post.
    Thats funny
    Last edited by samj; 06-16-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

    JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

  20. #19
    Senior Member thoughtshewas18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey4402 View Post
    its too early to read that...but america is better, so it wins
    hahah
    i bleed oil

    "but seriously dude georgeous women reside everywhere, go look and ****" - BigCorey75

  21. #20
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Video

    http://www.loveinaboat.com/

    Now that is a pretty bad burn!
    Last edited by seK; 06-16-2007 at 04:05 PM.

  22. #21
    is taking names. Can'tstopnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by samj View Post
    Why the hell are we talking about alcohol its a body building site! and no who ever can drink more isnt the bigger man well fatter man maybe or alcoholic man The less you drink eg once every 2months you can get drunk off less happy days.
    I dont know if its about how much people can drink i didnt read it all!
    This is general chat.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

    Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

    He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

  23. #22
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    Video

    http://www.loveinaboat.com/

    Now that is a pretty bad burn!
    Yeah, it was really funny back in 1982 when Eric Idle did that joke on Monty Python Live At The Hollywood Bowl.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  24. #23
    THUNDER THIGHS! Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    2,792
    That appplies for anything... I like that article man.

    Ive seen that over and over, I was always raised up with alcohol, watered wine at dinner etc etc. Never beena big issue for me.

    Coming to Australia this was vastly different, kids go crazy when they have the chance and get smashed, im lucky mny group of mates can chill and a have a few and aim to just get tipsy and happy.

    But this applies for many things, my girlfriend has strict parents... so naturally when she she gets the chance she goes crazy. Im not complaning but its the way it is, she isnt a slut, but shes rather 'eager'

    Everything is made into such abig taboo that the moment they can kids will go crazy.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

    My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

    Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

  25. #24
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Yeah, it was really funny back in 1982 when Eric Idle did that joke on Monty Python Live At The Hollywood Bowl.
    Blah I was too busy being born to see that show .... maybe next time?

  26. #25
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093
    You could have said that same thing in two sentences. Plus, I still don't get your point: Germans have self-control, Americans don't?
    Yup, you pretty much hit it on the dot.

    And about the GIs, it isn't all GIs now, a GI has kids that go out, faimly members that go out etc.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 12:48 PM
  2. Bad drinking water
    By Felix in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-20-2002, 06:33 AM
  3. Useful Drinking Terms
    By The_Chicken_Daddy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-28-2002, 08:02 AM
  4. Cops (long rant)
    By G-B in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-10-2002, 11:15 PM
  5. Drinking and mental health
    By PowerManDL in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-17-2001, 09:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •