Thread: broken sleep

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    when u r supposed to sleep for 9 hrs, does that mean u have to sleep 9 hrs straight? i seem to wake up 3hrs after i sleep, then sleep the other 6hrs. I can't seem to sleep 9hrs straight. does it matter if the sleep pattern is broken?
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Leave this blank, right?
    Great question! I don't know though because I have been experiencing the same thing. I am IN bed for 8-9hrs, but I usually wake up 2 or 3 times for a few minutes.

So if someone knows the answers, please explain.
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

Guys, that is part of your natural sleep cycle. Don't worry about it.

so does it matter if you break the sleepinfg cycle voluntarily, with an alarm clock, to take a shake during the night?
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

NOt really, but taking a shake won't do much for you. It all depends on how quickly you can go back to sleep after being fully awakened. I think the shake in the night thing is overkill.

over killing what?
    you dont think that taking protein in the middle of a 8-10 hours fast is good? why so?
    Eat Tuna!
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I would definitley not reccomend breaking your sleep cycle for a protein shake.If you happen to wake up to take a trip to the can then on the way back a shake would not be a bad thing.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

thanks mac... but why?
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Frank ma man the reason is because we all go through what is known as sleep cycles.Each sleep cycle lasts for around 90-100 mins aprox.We usally go through about 4-5 cycles each time we go to sleep.The cycle is started off by Non REM(rapid eye movement) and is followed by rapid eye movement where dreams occur.During each cycle the body releases a certain amount of growth hormone ,breaking this cycle by getting a protein shake will disrupt the cycle thus limiting the amount of growth hormonw that is released.

Does that help you out?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member

Not only that...

I think I'd feel obsesive compulsive if I woke up for a shake using the alarm clock every night.

You don't need protein every 3-4 hours during the night to make proper gains. That whole protein every 3-4 hours thing is something that the bbing magazines have construed in order to sell you more protein powders and supplements. It takes your body more than 8 hours to completely process a normal meal, so the whole 8 hour fast thing is misleading. Yes, you are not eating for 8 hours, but no, that doesn't mean that your body is not still processing your last meal of the night. I have never taken a shake in the middle of the night and I have never known anyone who was bigger than me to do so. It really isn't necessary.

Thanks Mac, thats what i wanted to hear
    Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -