The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

plateau in my Bench Press

Ive been benching 215-230 for the past 5 weeks...ive really hit a plateau and its not like im hitting a heavy one....220 really isnt a lot of weight....idk if im over working my bench cause i lift incline/decline/flat 2-3 days a week....but i need to get to atleast 260 by august..any help would be great...thanks
    Bench = 235 Height = 5'9
    Squat = 355 Weight = 230
    Deadlift= 315
    Total = 905

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by WVtackle72 View Post
    Ive been benching 215-230 for the past 5 weeks...ive really hit a plateau and its not like im hitting a heavy one....220 really isnt a lot of weight....idk if im over working my bench cause i lift incline/decline/flat 2-3 days a week....but i need to get to atleast 260 by august..any help would be great...thanks
    Are you maxing out each workout? If you are, then your CNS is worn out. You don't need incline or decline. Bench and close grip are good enough. What are you doing for your delts, lats, tri's?

Are you maxing out each workout? If you are, then your CNS is worn out. You don't need incline or decline. Bench and close grip are good enough. What are you doing for your delts, lats, tri's?
    :withstupi

Also, check out some of these articles:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808
    http://westside-barbell.com/articles.htm (check out Overcoming Plateaus Part 2: Bench Press)

Banned
    you should only be benching 1-2 times a week
    separate them as far away as possible to (least i like to) should give your muscles time to heal and grow.
    i bench heavy one day a week, then light (focusing on triceps) the other day of the week.
    also try getting more sleep and food, it will help your bench go up to.

1-2 times a week? **** that. I did that for a year, no progress. I started benching 4 times a week, bingo... progress

Try benching more, try benching less. Its a personal thing, and I'm a newbie lifter so I'm changing my belief that I need to do more benching - instead of keeping it the same, or trying to copy advanced level lifters.

Banned
    ^ do you really think benching 4 times a week allows your muscles to recover before you start tearing them down again?
    i used to be able to bench every other day when i started at like 13, but was only benching around 65lbsx10 for 10 sets, once i started to get heavier weights in the 150's i had to cut it down to 2 times a week cause i was sore.
    then after i truned around 18 and was benching in the 300's i had to cut it down to onces a week (heavy)
    now am trying twice a week once heavy once light and is working well as my bench is stil going up

id just be consered that benching 4 times a week your gonna hurt your self, unless it is very light and not much effort involved.

Dumbbell bench press has gotten me out of my plateau in bench press every single time it never fails.

Of course once you get to higher weights in the dumbbells it becomes kind of hard to get dumbbells that weigh enough.

Try to pay attention to form. If it is off a little, you will not get maximum results. Also try changing rep schemes or switch to db for a while. Are you eating enough...have enough energy? Why do you need to get to 260 by August?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    Try to pay attention to form. If it is off a little, you will not get maximum results. Also try changing rep schemes or switch to db for a while. Are you eating enough...have enough energy? Why do you need to get to 260 by August?
    football combine is then....like to bench 240 x by then...looks good when colleges ask cause they already been asking me and im ashamed of myself when i say i can only bench 225 4-5x....Thanks everyone for there help...ive been benching 3-4x a week...ill slow id down and only go with 2 a week..and try DB more...thanks
    Bench = 235 Height = 5'9
    Squat = 355 Weight = 230
    Deadlift= 315
    Total = 905

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    ^ do you really think benching 4 times a week allows your muscles to recover before you start tearing them down again?

id just be consered that benching 4 times a week your gonna hurt your self, unless it is very light and not much effort involved.
    According to Pavel, a single muscle group can be trained upto 9 times in one week - and upto 3 times in one day. However, you NEED to take every 4th week off and only train that muscle group once. I'm only really training triceps, and I'm not benching huge numbers at the moment.

Banned
    And who is Pavel, meens nothing to me.
    if you lift heavy with lots of effort you will need 2-4 days to recover

my guess for you that your bench sessions are so effortless you can get away with benching 4 times a week, lightweight....4 sets and your done kind of thing.
    just like walking as working your muscles, you can do it every day but the intensity is so low that it wont put a damper on you.

sounds like you need to SFW to me

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    And who is Pavel, meens nothing to me.
    if you lift heavy with lots of effort you will need 2-4 days to recover

Pavel is a very respected guy in the strength and conditioning world. Even the guys over at Elitefts like him. Do a bit of reading before you completely bust his chops.

For what it's worth, I squatted 4 days a week for awhile when I tore my pec minor. Lot of rotation on what I was doing. Ate an assload of food as well. Didn't burn me out too bad.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.