Thread: Went above 5 reps...

Went above 5 reps...

for the first time this year. I've been training 5 reps and less the past six months, and I wanted to try something new so I wrote myself up a routine consisting of exercises of 8-10 reps.

I noticed today that from the first through fifth rep it was fairly easy, but as soon as I hit that sixth rep things started getting rough. There were a couple exercises where I couldn't even hit the eigth rep in the 2nd and third sets.

Has anyone else ever experienced something similar? I am more curious than anything since I know in a few more weeks I'll be accustomed to it, so I'm just trying to expand my knowledge a little.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Wannabebig Member
    simply a matter of your body not being used to the extra endurance needed to lift the weight. I'm assuming you're using a bit less weight for these higher rep sets also right?

No, of course not. I'm using the same weight I was barely able to get up for 3 reps before, but now I'm trying for 8 and it's just not working out.

Hahaha.

so you are saying you're doing or trying to do 8 reps with the same weight you normally press for 5 reps? and you are asking also why it became tough after the 5th rep? Am I understanding you correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by DNL View Post
    so you are saying you're doing or trying to do 8 reps with the same weight you normally press for 5 reps? and you are asking also why it became tough after the 5th rep? Am I understanding you correctly?
    I really hope Chris isnt doing that...that would be rediculous questioning on his part.

Assuming he did indeed drop the weight,

Its a matter of conditioning and your CNS adaptions taking place again. Soon, youll develop more endurance.

Normally, I leave a rep in the bank that I could have done.. but why not drop the weight a little so you can manage the 8 reps and then use normal overload conditions there after?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Earlier today I increased the reps on some cable pulling exercise from 3x6 to 3x8 and that's already change enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    Hahaha.
    I'm assuming at least one person picked up on the sarcasm

I also find that my body adapts very specifically to rep ranges that I tend to use.

I've spent a lot of my lifting time going to six reps. When I tried to lift for higher reps at lighter weight, I found that even after taking a ton of weight off the bar I was stalling after six reps. I ended up having to take like 40 lbs off my lifts to get any more reps.

That's why I've found that if you have a goal to rep a certain weight for a certain number of reps, you should start to train in the rep range you want to do, not at the weight you want to lift.

Variety is nice. Using 5x5 forever, you will more than likely flatten out. Try mixing rep ranges every once in a while.

Oh and don't worry I caught the sarcasm
    Last edited by Cirino83; 06-19-2007 at 07:28 AM.

If you are used to lifting heavy, heavy weights for low reps, you will, generally, lift lighter weights in the same way. In other words, you will be focused on generating maximum tension throughout - with lighter weights and higher reps, you might fatigue a lot more quickly than you'd expect because you're generating more tension than is needed to pump out the earlier reps.

When you lift heavy all the time, the body forgets how to generate just enough with the lighter loads.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Interesting.

My pecs are toast today :P It's going to take a few weeks to get used to this.

Tomorrow is squats... crap.
    Last edited by Chris686; 06-19-2007 at 05:26 PM.