Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Where would you go?

  1. #1
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255

    Where would you go?

    So here's the situation. I'm going into my 3rd year of a combined computer science and math degree. Long story short, I don't know if I want to go back to school yet. I don't have a clue what I want to do with that degree, just that it's interesting and I'm pretty good at it.

    I've always wanted to travel, but just travelling for the sake of going somewhere doesn't appeal to me right now because then I wouldn't be able to be serious about my training.

    An idea that's been floating through my head is moving somewhere for 6 months, a year, who knows how long and just dedicating myself to training for that time. I'd want to be somewhere with a great club and lots of excellent lifters.

    If you were me, where would you want to go? Who are some people I should start talking to if I want to approach this seriously?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  2. #2
    Team Chesticles! Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,880
    World Gym outside of Columbus Ohio on March 4th 2007. That was a pretty kick ass session with some kick ass lifters.

    But on a serious note move into Risks living room. He needs a lifting partner and I hear Australia is purdy nice.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

    At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,513
    Honestly, I would finish school, then go on your quest. Once you have a degree, a lot more doors open up for you. If you take time off, it'll be ridiculously hard to get back in that frame of mind again. I would stick it out. Finish what you've started. It's a great life lesson and a lesson to take with you and your training. See it thru to the end. If you get in the habit of "running away" because you don't feel like it, it'll stay with you your whole life. You have you're whole life to train and be serious about it. You only have a few years to enjoy the lack of responsibility that comes with school. Don't be ghey - stay in school. I know it doesn't rhyme, but I had to make a ghey comment. It's my MO

  4. #4
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    World Gym outside of Columbus Ohio on March 4th 2007. That was a pretty kick ass session with some kick ass lifters.

    But on a serious note move into Risks living room. He needs a lifting partner and I hear Australia is purdy nice.
    I don't even know how to respond to that... Thanks for the input I guess

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Honestly, I would finish school, then go on your quest. Once you have a degree, a lot more doors open up for you. If you take time off, it'll be ridiculously hard to get back in that frame of mind again. I would stick it out. Finish what you've started. It's a great life lesson and a lesson to take with you and your training. See it thru to the end. If you get in the habit of "running away" because you don't feel like it, it'll stay with you your whole life. You have you're whole life to train and be serious about it. You only have a few years to enjoy the lack of responsibility that comes with school. Don't be ghey - stay in school. I know it doesn't rhyme, but I had to make a ghey comment. It's my MO
    I definitely see where you're coming from. I also pretty much agree with everything you said. It just feels like I'm going through the motions but not actually accomplishing anything... Sure I'll get my degree and I'll get pretty good grades but what's the point if I don't have any idea what I'm gonna do with it?

    Honestly, my head has been all scrambled since my girlfriend left me and it feels like the only thing that I'm passionate about anymore is lifting. I guess that's why part of me wants to just throw myself completely into powerlifting...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,396
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I don't even know how to respond to that... Thanks for the input I guess



    I definitely see where you're coming from. I also pretty much agree with everything you said. It just feels like I'm going through the motions but not actually accomplishing anything... Sure I'll get my degree and I'll get pretty good grades but what's the point if I don't have any idea what I'm gonna do with it?

    Honestly, my head has been all scrambled since my girlfriend left me and it feels like the only thing that I'm passionate about anymore is lifting. I guess that's why part of me wants to just throw myself completely into powerlifting...
    My opinion:

    1) figure out what you're gonna do with your career
    2) finish the degree
    3) get a sweet-ass job
    Last edited by TommyBoy; 06-22-2007 at 01:59 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sidior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    5,029
    Even if you don't end up in the field of your degree having one will always help. Finish school and by the time you are done hopefully things will be clearer. If they are not, you still have time to travel or dedicate yourself to lifting but at least you will already have a degree.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

    Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

  7. #7
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    I can't "feel" you, but I think I know what you're talking about, man. If my woman left me I would just lift, eat and sleep.

    Having said that: Get your degree. You can do so much more and you'll be able to do plenty of other things later on with that degree. Computer technician, blah blah blah. Plus, you'll make better money and be prepared better for everything.

    Good luck, man.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  8. #8
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    You could always enroll at University of Illinois (Top 5 Computer Science program) and then you could train with me and my Illini Powerlifting crew (WABDL World Champs!). Best of both worlds.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  9. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12
    this question is easy to answer. get your degree. it doesn't matter that you don't know right now what you are going to do with it; having it is what counts. a cs/math degree is pretty marketable too.

    after you graduate, screw around as much as you want.

  10. #10
    lockupgym.com waynedang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    You could always enroll at University of Illinois (Top 5 Computer Science program) and then you could train with me and my Illini Powerlifting crew (WABDL World Champs!). Best of both worlds.
    Good idea Guido!

    Other than that stay in school or you will never finish! Trust me. Get the hard part out of the way then do what you want. You have your whole life to lift weights.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

    www.ryanopower.com

    http://www.prowriststraps.com

  11. #11
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    Quote Originally Posted by waynedang View Post
    Good idea Guido!

    Other than that stay in school or you will never finish! Trust me. Get the hard part out of the way then do what you want. You have your whole life to lift weights.
    Yep. Plus if you lived here you could train with Wayne sometimes, too, if you wanted.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  12. #12
    Super Saiyan saiyanj1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5

    do what makes u happy

    bro, i am 23, and have been with my fiancee for 3 years. i have a degree and was going to further my education but she wants to start a family and stuff, so i am a sprinkler fitter now, installing fire protection systems. its a great paying job, excellent actually, and great benefits. what i am trying to say is, do what makes you happy. pleasing my fiancee makes me happy. only then will you be able to excel at other things in your life. making her happy is more than any paycheck could buy me.

  13. #13
    Team Chesticles! Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by saiyanj1n View Post
    bro, i am 23, and have been with my fiancee for 3 years. i have a degree and was going to further my education but she wants to start a family and stuff, so i am a sprinkler fitter now, installing fire protection systems. its a great paying job, excellent actually, and great benefits. what i am trying to say is, do what makes you happy. pleasing my fiancee makes me happy. only then will you be able to excel at other things in your life. making her happy is more than any paycheck could buy me.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

    At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    Another vote for finishing school, THEN going on your adventure. Don't put it off - finish what you've started. Unless you are going on an internship or have an awesome job offer, I think putting off graduation would be stupid.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    Well it seems like the general consensus is be cool, stay in school. I was hoping to get some more exciting responses

    I probably will end up finishing my degree before I do anything crazy. I've got a scholarship that I'd probably lose if I told them I was just going to go lift weights for a year haha
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  16. #16
    GreenG mickyjune26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX (by Dallas)
    Posts
    1,515
    While you're finishing your degree, look into paid internships, such as ones in another country. Build more experience, get to know some lifters in another country and see the world.

    That would be the best of all worlds.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

  17. #17
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Don't quit school. My last co-op job was filled with people who majored in engineering for 1 or 2 years and dropped out. Now they make $15/hr at a **** job where they're treated like slaves and they've been working there for 30 years, with at least another 10 to go.

    Don't quit school.

  18. #18
    Superman sharkall2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States.
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by saiyanj1n View Post
    bro, i am 23, and have been with my fiancee for 3 years. i have a degree and was going to further my education but she wants to start a family and stuff, so i am a sprinkler fitter now, installing fire protection systems. its a great paying job, excellent actually, and great benefits. what i am trying to say is, do what makes you happy. pleasing my fiancee makes me happy. only then will you be able to excel at other things in your life. making her happy is more than any paycheck could buy me.
    If making someone else happy is what makes you happy, then you're probably not really happy. You don't need to make someone else happy to feel happy. It's an internal thing, really. But, not all of us want to throw our lives away for a relationship when we're that young. We prefer to be educated and actually have something useful for the future. Setting up sprinkler fitters isn't what I would call a secure job.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

  19. #19
    Super Saiyan saiyanj1n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003 View Post
    If making someone else happy is what makes you happy, then you're probably not really happy. You don't need to make someone else happy to feel happy. It's an internal thing, really. But, not all of us want to throw our lives away for a relationship when we're that young. We prefer to be educated and actually have something useful for the future. Setting up sprinkler fitters isn't what I would call a secure job.
    its actually very secure job, probably as secure as it gets. everyone walks a different path.
    currently on:
    thermorexin
    glucorell
    pureCEE
    sesapure
    isopure
    RED BLAST - MSG me for details.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sleepy Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Well it seems like the general consensus is be cool, stay in school. I was hoping to get some more exciting responses
    Hum..

    Cash out all the money you can get your hands on. Buy a big bag of pot and magic mushrooms. With the leftover money go to the air port and get a last minute flight. Make sure you are nice and high first so that trip to Alaska during the winter sounds cool and go for it.

    When the drugs wear out either come home or settle down with one of the fine ladies you met along your way. Oh and try and lift too

    Any better?

  21. #21
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy View Post
    Hum..

    Cash out all the money you can get your hands on. Buy a big bag of pot and magic mushrooms. With the leftover money go to the air port and get a last minute flight. Make sure you are nice and high first so that trip to Alaska during the winter sounds cool and go for it.

    When the drugs wear out either come home or settle down with one of the fine ladies you met along your way. Oh and try and lift too

    Any better?
    Straight out of high school that would have been pretty much what I would have done
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  22. #22
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    I think you're making the right choice, deeder. Only 1-2 months to finish your degree is nothing, and nobody will ever be able to take that away from you. Once you're done, you can do whatever you want but you'll always have that diploma. Good luck, man.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  23. #23
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I think you're making the right choice, deeder. Only 1-2 months to finish your degree is nothing, and nobody will ever be able to take that away from you. Once you're done, you can do whatever you want but you'll always have that diploma. Good luck, man.
    I'm pretty sure you misread something... I have 2 years left!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  24. #24
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    1 or 2 months, or 1 or 2 years - no big difference either way. Stay the course. Guido's absolutely right - having the degree is a big deal and I know quite a few guys in their 30s and 40s who are one or two years shy of a degree and never, ever finished. They stopped for a lot of different reasons - wanted to save money, go on a vacation, etc. and ALL of them thought it would be easy to go back...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •