The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Today at the gym

today at the gym I noticed two guys look at what I was benching and kind of chuckled to themselves. Apparently, they thought it was funny how weak I was.......so my next set I took off 20 more pounds and did it with even stricter form pausing at the bottom and pushing up as hard and as fast as possible. I got a great workout my chest is taxed. It makes me mad that people think that lifting a ton of weight is the measure of a man in the weight-room. I feel that the less weight I do and the more I concentrate on form the better workout I get. Yeah sure I could probably lift alot more if I dropped the bar as fast as I could and humped the air during the positive but personally when I see someone using anything but their muscles to lift the weights I laugh no matter how much their lifting. It seems pointless to lift weights that your muscles can't actually lift. Just a rant.......any thoughts
    The Commander-in-Chief answers him while chasing a fly
    Saying, "Death to all those who would whimper and cry"
    And dropping a bar bell he points to the sky
    Saying, "The sun's not yellow it's chicken."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Don't worry about it. Just mind your own business in the weightroom and don't give a ***** what anyone thinks. You'll be benching good weight in no time.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan View Post
    today at the gym I noticed two guys look at what I was benching and kind of chuckled to themselves. Apparently, they thought it was funny how weak I was.......so my next set I took off 20 more pounds and did it with even stricter form pausing at the bottom and pushing up as hard and as fast as possible. I got a great workout my chest is taxed. It makes me mad that people think that lifting a ton of weight is the measure of a man in the weight-room. I feel that the less weight I do and the more I concentrate on form the better workout I get. Yeah sure I could probably lift alot more if I dropped the bar as fast as I could and humped the air during the positive but personally when I see someone using anything but their muscles to lift the weights I laugh no matter how much their lifting. It seems pointless to lift weights that your muscles can't actually lift. Just a rant.......any thoughts
    Their laughing was dumb and uncalled for and same for you when you laugh too - even if the lifter is doing the set wrong.

It's all about silent, inner judgement - and showing nothing but an indifferent, disinterested expression.

Props to you for not trying to prove anything and ensuring you did a proper workout, esp after lessening the weight after they chuckled at you.

Seems like you handled it perfectly and simmply ignored them. It takes some guts to just keep on with your routine, take the weight off and practice stricter form with idiots laughing at you in the background. I probably would have said some smartass comment to them, but it really wouldn't solve anything.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Thats why I do crossfit. People walk up to me cause they think "WTF is he doing??"

Footballer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan View Post
    Hate to break it to you but as long as the spotter isn't touching the bar they're using their muscles to lift the weight.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

your completely right, i looked like a complete idiot trying to continential clean 255 axel and almost hurt myself, or actually i did.

your doing great, keep the form strict and weight will come
    2000 or bust

Most of the time you should be lifting the heaviest weight you possibly can with correct form.
    Last edited by HahnB; 06-22-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Don't worry about it. Sooner or later you'll be warming up with their max.

Banned
    No worries, I had to do DE upper with about 105 lbs with guys on either side of me repping 315. It was....humbling
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Most of the time you should be lifting the heaviest weight you possibly can with correct form.
    unless it's a speed day...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRic View Post
    Hate to break it to you but as long as the spotter isn't touching the bar they're using their muscles to lift the weight.
    Sure there using muscle to push it up.....they are using gravity on the way down and most people do a nice bounce off the sternum which gives them about 3-4" of a free half a rep if you ask me. I believe a rep contains to motions which require using muscle the positive in which you push or pull the weight and the negative where you fight gravity for 4 secs while lowering it where it needs to be....but no worries thanks for the words of encouragement guys....

-BBM

Are they as strong as Bill Kazmaier? no? then why are they giggling when they so easy can be beaten themselves.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

indomitable will.
    There's a lot of a-holes in gyms. Ignore them.

Donīt worry about it. Those guys would probably laugh at anything, donīt let that concern you.

Maybe one day theyīll start laughing during squats and regret it.
    Last edited by Bleek13; 06-23-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRic View Post
    I see lots of people cheat by bouncing the bar off their chest and doing half ROM reps. I'd always wince when I was at college and all of the football players would bounce 300+ lbs off their chest. Don't know how their ribcages didn't break.

I'm lucky that the high school I graduated from was a small private school that just built a brand new weightroom. Sports aren't very important there so I always have this really nice weightroom all to myself.

there's no room for pride in the gym.

btw - that would be funny if they weren't laughing at you, even though it looked like it.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

I'm sure they didn't start off real heavy too, and if they did I bet there form was way off. Just go in there work hard and zone the dumb asses out even if that means buying a MP3 player or Ipod.
    Last edited by Biohazard101; 06-24-2007 at 02:05 AM.

As an Olympic lifter I am more impressed by a clear crsip clean lift then a screamed weight.

Nothing is more amazing then watching athletes make bar bending weights look like a warm up.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard101 View Post
    I'm sure they didn't start off real heavy too, and if they did I bet there form was way off. Just go in there work hard and zone the dumb asses out even if that means buying a MP3 player or Ipod.
    Yeah usually nothing bugs me when I am lifting and I don't pay much attention to anyone. I do have a Ipod shuffle that I got at xmas just haven't had time to get it setup with tunes.