The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dargo's Journey

Dargo's Journey

I wanted to start a journal to help keep motivated. I would also appreciate any comments or suggestions.

As of today I'm ~250 lbs (5'11"). This is not muscle My BF is 34%

My goal is to get under 200lbs (hopefully to about 185) by 12/31/2006. I would like my BF to be 15-20%

I take Combat Hapkido and try to get there 2-3 times a week.

I'm doing a 5x5 routine and this is what it looks like at this time.

Monday - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
    Leg Press
    Seated Calve Raise
    Dumbell Military Press
    ???

Wednesday - Chest

Bench Press
    Dumbell Incline Press
    French Press (lazy bar)
    Assisted Dips

Friday - Back

DeadLift
    T-Bar Row
    Low Cable Pull
    Assisted Chin-ups

I also going to try and do the PSMF using Nitrean for at least 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Dargo; 03-16-2006 at 04:10 PM.
    "If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health." - Hippocrates (Ancient Greek Physician)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76445

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well I've been exercising for a couple of weeks, so I'm past the obscenely sore stage. I've been taking a fair amount of protein (2-3 servings of Opticen, and 4-5 servings of a custom protein I got from the Protein Factory).

Today was a good day. I felt strong and went up in everything. In fact since I may not get to the gym tomorrow or Saturday, I combined my Chest and Back workouts. Here are the results.

Chest/Back Combo

Bench Press - 145 x 5 x 4 + 165 x 5 x 1 (Felt Great)
    DeadLift - 135 x 5 x 5 (Form was a little poor, need to work on this)
    Dumbell Incline Press - 40's x 10 x 2
    French Press (lazy bar) - 55 x 10 x 2
    T-Bar Row - 55 x 10 x 2
    Low Cable Pull - 70 x 10 x 2 (easy, but felt a good burn by 10 reps)
    Assisted Dips - 150lbs of assist x 10 x 2
    Assisted Chin-ups - 150lbs of assist x 8 x 2

I had pre and post workout protein drink (Protein Factory).
    "If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health." - Hippocrates (Ancient Greek Physician)

Today is a rest day. Besides doing a double workout yesterday, I also went to my Combat Hapkido class last night.

Today I'm just going to rest and have a lot of protein.

Stated the the PSMF using Nitrean. I'm going to do it for at least 2 weeks.

Weighed myself and was 251.5

My diet will be:

7-8 servings of Nitrean

6 servings EFA

1 multivitamins (Centrum)

plenty of water

celery (for sanity)

1 fiber pill

2 Calcium pills

2 Potassium pills

2 Magnesium pills

Did some housework today (outside).

Feel pretty good today. See how I feel tomorrow.

On day 3 of PSMF. It's morning and I feel good.

Last night I felt a little askew and had a bit of a headache.

I intend to go to the gym and do legs and some shoulder work today. It will be interesting to see how my endurance is.

I will edit this post later with the results.

Haven't gotton to the gym this week. Intend to do legs and chest today (Wednesday).

Diet is going well. No too hard to stay on. I did have one cheat meal on Monday (Sushi). Other than that I have been very strict. I think 2 cheat meals a week will help keep me sane and also give me a little extra boost when I need it. For example, I'm testing for my next belt in Combat Hapkido this Saturday, so maybe Friday evening I'll have a cheat, abiet healthy, meal.

I definately think I've lost some weight already (probably water weight). However, my electronic scale which has been faithful to me for the last 4-5 yrs went kaput. I'll have a new scale by the end of the week.

Once again, this diet is going well. If I see good results after a week or two I think it is likely that I'll stay on it longer. I really do have a lot of weight to lose.

EDIT: Well, I did legs at the gym but after that I was spent. Really, don't have a plethora of energy on this diet.

Lifted well, here are the specifics.

Squat - 135 x 5 x 5
    Leg Press - 225 x 10 x 3 (I do one set each with my feet either narrow, shoulder, or wide)
    Seated Calve Raise - 55 x 10 x 3

I intend to do chest on Thursday. I do not think I will be able to double up on routines while on this diet. I did order some ETS, so we'll see what that does.
    Last edited by Dargo; 03-23-2006 at 04:44 AM.

Had a cheat meal yesterday (chicken fingers Mmmmmm) and went to Hapkido calss lass night. I did not get to the gym.

I also weighed in at 246.5 lbs which mean I've lost about 6.5 lbs in less than one week.

I plan on doing chest today, and tomorrow I have my belt test in Hapkido.

I passed my belt test in Combat Hapkido on Saturday

However, during sparring I injured my foot. It may or may not have a small break (X-rays to come). It doesn't hurt too much and I can walk. However, I can't do any lifting requiring my feet (squat, deads, etc.). Therefore, I'll just do chest and maybe back (sans deadlift).

In other news, I had a few cheat meals but have lost another lb. I now weigh 245.5.

Hope the foot ordeal is something you can shake off in a day or two Dargo, props on going to the next level with the Combat Hapkido - ...once you start circulating more you should check out peeps like Chubrock, Anthony, etc - these guys are in the fight game.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa
    Hope the foot ordeal is something you can shake off in a day or two Dargo, props on going to the next level with the Combat Hapkido - ...once you start circulating more you should check out peeps like Chubrock, Anthony, etc - these guys are in the fight game.
    Thanks for the kind words. Assuming their are no breaks, I should be able to get back to class next week. Hopefully, lifts with my legs will be possible then as well. In the meantime, I'll just try some different exercises and stay as active as possible.

The Hapkido is a lot of fun. Quite therapeutic and really helps me relax after a long day. For that hour of class one doesn't worry about wife, family, job, bills, etc. It is great. I started last September and my main goals in there are general health and flexibility.

Thanks Again,

You and I both started off at about the same fat and weight. Last summer, I was 255-60 and 30+% bf. I don't know my bf now, but I've slowly lost weight through diet alone, I haven't changed anything except the occasional change in routine. Now I'm 226 and have lost alot of fat. If I can do it, you most certainly can do it better with pmsf.

Looks like you're progressing nicely with it anyway. COngrats on the 5-6 lbs you're down already.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    You and I both started off at about the same fat and weight. Last summer, I was 255-60 and 30+% bf. I don't know my bf now, but I've slowly lost weight through diet alone, I haven't changed anything except the occasional change in routine. Now I'm 226 and have lost alot of fat. If I can do it, you most certainly can do it better with pmsf.

Looks like you're progressing nicely with it anyway. COngrats on the 5-6 lbs you're down already.

Thanks! The diet isn't really too bad, as long you cheat a little to keep sane. I'll be curious to see what I weigh after 2 weeks on this. I do not see losing another 5-6 lbs but it would be nice to be 3-4 lbs lighter.

Had x-rays taken of my foot and no broken bones! So now I need to get back into the gym as I'm stuck at 245.5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargo
    Had x-rays taken of my foot and no broken bones! So now I need to get back into the gym as I'm stuck at 245.5 lbs.
    Great news. With more rest you'll be on the move again. I'd say about 240 is a cool goal then see where you stand.
    Last edited by Coke; 03-30-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Went hiking/camping this weekend.

~11 miles hiking total with ~50lb backpack. Boy are my hip flexors sore

Anyway, I drank plenty of water but didn't eat too much while on the trip. I had 2 bags of beef jerky (Mmmmmm) and a few cheddar-flavored Triscuts. This was about 1000 cals for Saturday until Sunday when I got home. Weighed myself after getting home and I was 242 lbs. So I lost 3.5 lbs in a day. Granted it was probably just water but still I was surprised as I was drinking plently.

I'll be curious where I am later tonight as I had a full dinner and all last night. Hopefully, I'm still in the 243 range.
    Last edited by Dargo; 04-03-2006 at 05:18 AM.

I am able to attend as many Combat Hapkido classes as I want + cross train in TKD. I attended the TKD and hapkido classes last night. I don't really want to go for belt ranks in TKD, as I'm really just there for the exercise. The instructors completely understand and have no problem with that. Felt good going to 2 classes (about 2 hours total time).

Also, weighed myself and was 243.9 lbs. I'm happy about this as I seem to have broken through the 245 barrier.

My foot is still tender and I really can't kick with it. I hope is heals soon as I really want to improve my kicking.

Overall, feeling good on this diet. As long as I get a cheat meal in every few days, it really isn't bad.

Clothes are looser and people have noticed that I look slimmer.

Just need to lose 50 more lbs.

Moving in the right direction with the transformation, gonna be looking great...may start kicking butt in class too, lol.
    Last edited by Coke; 04-05-2006 at 06:33 AM.

Not much to add. Worked down in my basement yesterday (painting) and that's about it. However, weighed myself last night and was 242.2 lbs

I attended the TKD and hapkido classes last night.

I also, had a cheat meal of 3 bologna and cheese sandwiches.

Amazingly, I weighed in at 240.9 lbs!

I think it may be the X-Lean I am taking. (ephedra + caffeine) as I really seem to have broken throught the plateau I was at.

Excellent news, you're dropping a pound here and there - keep up the good work Dargo.

Continue with diet, however, I did have a few "normal" meals in the last few days. I had been feeling a little run down so I decided to eat a few sensible meals.

I actually hit 239.5 lbs over this time and right now I'm probably 240ish.

I haven't been exercising much other than going to Hapkido classes but have continued to work on my basement.

I'm hoping this week is a good one for the diet.

Also, when I get into the 220's, I may take a few days to a week off the diet and see how much I gain back. I would like to find my body's "happy spot" for calories.

I attended TKD and Combat Hapkido classes last night.

Felt really good.

I then weighed in at 238.1 lbs!

Just did some painting downstairs yesterday but weighed in at 238 lbs!

I thought that the previos night might have been an anomoly, so I'm quite pleased.
    Last edited by Dargo; 04-13-2006 at 07:08 AM.

I attended Combat Hapkido classes last night.

Still at 238.1 lbs. This is pretty good considering that I ate pretty well on Easter.

The holiday festivities usually make you gain weight, holding on strong with it - more pounds will be dropping soon.
    Last edited by Coke; 04-18-2006 at 05:45 AM.