Thread: Anyone from Gainesville, FL or go to UF?

Anyone from Gainesville, FL or go to UF?

I just got back from G-Ville cuz I was supposed to go to UF for Fall term and I have to say I am soooo disappointed in it. The whole town of Gainesville is friggin terrible. My apartment was horribly, flithy and the area around campus is baddddd.... There's nothing to do in Gainesville and I don't see how i coulda lived there for 4 years..... It turns out I'm gonna go to another school closer to where I live... (not that I want to- but I'm gonna hafta). What a let down...I was looking forward to going to school there... I hear nothing but good things about the town and school but I definitely did not see it. Any input?

Footballer
    I'd say wait it out atleast 2 semesters.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

My bro goes there but lives in Ocala... very nice town. Great school too... I anywhere you go you need time to get used to it.

Honestly, I think huge cities as the only places that have "tons" to do... smaller cities seem to be mostly the same. This is coming from a guy who lived in a very rural part of Ohio for 18 years of his life.

I'd say go to the big/good school that is U of F... I bet you'll be glad you went.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    My bro goes there but lives in Ocala... very nice town. Great school too... I anywhere you go you need time to get used to it.

Honestly, I think huge cities as the only places that have "tons" to do... smaller cities seem to be mostly the same. This is coming from a guy who lived in a very rural part of Ohio for 18 years of his life.

I'd say go to the big/good school that is U of F... I bet you'll be glad you went.
    I just don't see it. I was walking around in the Oaks Mall and they were roaches on the ground. I drove down Downtown G-Ville and everything looked old/ run down. I really wanna go to UF but there's no way I can live in that city for 4 years. I live in South Florida, and everything is different down here. I know it's gonna be different, but it seems like a dirty town.

If you are going to leave a school based on a dirty mall, or that the downtown area is old I donít know what to tell you. You are in a college city loaded with hot chickís, I donít know how it could get any better. What all are you wanting to do?

It's not just the mall, but the town itself. I wish it was located in a better place. More of an urban setting with a cleaner/ newer look to it. I was so excited when I got accepted but when I went to visit I was very disappointed, and still am. At least 10 of the top 15 ranked students at my school, including me, are going there so I felt proud as hell. But, now I don't know what to think. Sigh.
    Last edited by yankeekd25; 07-17-2007 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25 View Post
    I just don't see it. I was walking around in the Oaks Mall and they were roaches on the ground. I drove down Downtown G-Ville and everything looked old/ run down. I really wanna go to UF but there's no way I can live in that city for 4 years. I live in South Florida, and everything is different down here. I know it's gonna be different, but it seems like a dirty town.
    Ocala is a nice town... I don't know much about Gainesville. I don't think you can make assumptions about a college town in general when school is not in session. The college town I live in is relatively dead in the summer and transforms when students are there.
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal

It's not just the mall, but the town itself. I wish it was located in a better place. More of an urban setting with a cleaner/ newer look to it. I was so excited when I got accepted but when I went to visit I was very disappointed, and still am. At least 10 of the top 15 ranked students at my school, including me, are going there so I felt proud as hell. But, now I don't know what to think. Sigh.
    I say wait till the regular school year starts up. Once football season starts up Gainesville is a completely different city. But it will never be the urban city if thatís what you are looking for.

I'll be honest. I don't think I am ready to live on my own. I'm still only 17 and I won't turn 18 till October. That does have something to do with it. That, and the fact that both my parents and I were totally turned off by the city. I know for sure I'd go if it was closer to home 'cause it is such a good school, or so I've heard.

I wanna be an MD some day and I heard UF has good programs for medicine, so of course I was thrilled when I got in. It was the only school I applied to cuz I knew (or thought at that time) I wanted to go there. I kept urging my parents that we should go take a look first, but we never got to it. So, now, I am in a hole.

The college close to my house is FAU.... about 20 mins away, but no where near the level or prestige of UF. I had a feeling I was gonna get into UF because my friends that got in are on the same level as me, gpa/ sat/ academic wise. I didn't apply to FAU because I knew I didn't want to/ didn't think I had to go there. It turns out I have to wait till Jan. now to apply......

We already paid the tuition deposits, housing deposits, but it was all for nothing. The housing up there is a nightmare. I originally had a dorm w/o a/c, so we found an off-campus dorm. It turned out to be a hell hole. All the other dorms are booked and the apartments are too expensive.
    Last edited by yankeekd25; 07-17-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Sounds like a college anxiety to me... and your parents seem to not be helping the situation. I know so many 17 year olds that start college and were fine. Bottom line is you'll make tons of friends and have a great time... in my opinion and experience the bigger the school the better (regardless of the person's personality). Also, if money permits I recommend going to a school away from home at least an hour or two away. College is all about finding out who you are... to get away from the b.s. of high school and find out what life has to offer. A school like Florida would definitely do that for you.

Most old dorms at any school don't have a/c... but I guess that would be a necessity in FL all year round. Honestly, you cant know the ins and outs of a city at all just being there for a day or two. But gut feelings are worth their weight as well. Its up to you (mostly)... not your parents (no mom wants their son to leave)... where you go study, so pick a place that will be good for your present and your future, a place you can make good memories at.
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal

Good advice... I've never been away from home for more than a couple of days. I've been very fortunate to have everything coming to me and I am very grateful for that. I guess anxiety is quite an understatement. Idk if I really am ready to go 5 hours away. Some of the ppl I've talked to that go to UF say the same things as I have about the town.

When I just applied to this school and got in, I thought the college process was easy. I've discovered it's anything but... especially 'cause I'm up the creek w/o a paddle now that I have pretty much no choice but to stay local. I'm sure I'll make friends from going to Plan b in January, but I know the experience won't be quite the same. I'll just have to live with that cuz I know I'm not ready. Hey, at least I get an extra 4 months off from school right?

<<<----- Right on Archer rd.

I love Gainesville. You either love it or hate it.
    Last edited by FighterInSnatch; 07-17-2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC

You go to school there? Or just live there?

You go to school there? Or just live there?
    I'm at Santa Fe finishing with my AA. I hope to transfer next year.

How long you there? Coming from a more urban-place originally, NJ, and now South Florida, I have to say I don't like the lifestyle. In order for one to happily go to college for 4 years, they gotta like the environment. I made the mistake of picking the college without seeing its location first. Dumb idea.
    Last edited by yankeekd25; 07-17-2007 at 04:17 PM.

How long you there? Coming from a more urban-place originally, NJ, and now South Florida, I have to say I don't like the lifestyle. In order for one to happily go to college for 4 years, they gotta like the environment. I made the mistake of picking the college without seeing its location first. Dumb idea.
    Lived here previously for a year, went home for a year and then missed it so much I came back again. I"ve been here a year since I last came.

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Snatch im stating UF in the Fall we should hang out man =P.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

I'm from Toronto and was just in Sarasota and Port Charlotte for the week and it's so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
    I'm from Toronto and was just in Sarasota and Port Charlotte for the week and it's so different.
    I live in Port Charlotte, should of started a thread or something... could of came to my house to lift
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 07-18-2007 at 10:48 AM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Banned
    College is all about relationships and not the town/city. Go to UF. You'll be fine once you make a few friends the first month. Hot chicks will be everywhere and you will be proud and happy. You just have a case of freshman's anxiety.

I missed the mandatory Preview that all Freshman had to go to.