Thread: Cardio Routine - Elliptical & Scenic Sidewalks

Cardio Routine - Elliptical & Scenic Sidewalks

Ok so I am going to stop lifting for a bit and just focus on my cardiovascular health. I've been here long enough to know what some of the responses will be, before you talk me out of it know this..

1) I am a heavy smoker (1.8-3.5g of buds and 1+ pack a day)

2) All I have done for the last few (6-7) months is a modified Starting Strength routine.

3) I think I have some minor ED due to lack of circulation (smoking and a previous high fat diet).

So i'm looking for some insight on Cardio routines. FIRST AND FOREMOST: I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING. My options are my elliptical, my punching bags (150lbs and 250lbs), and running in my lovely neighborhood (milfs, gilfs, and dilfs galore). I would like to do all 3 to sort of have a high intensity to low intensity routine set up. So I figure, 4-8 weeks of some ass kicking cardio, a nice diet, a focused mind, and I should not have to smoke again and I'm on track to a healthy heart and lungs. I'm ready.

I don't know **** about PROPER cardio training. I have more to say and ask but I guess I'll wait for a response to this...

Dr. Bodybuilder
    How old are you?
    How long have you been smoking?

I would try to look for foods that have things that say "Healthy Heart" or something. Most things with lots of fiber (oatmeal, bread, etc.) will say something like that.

Good Luck!
    Freshmen at Baylor College of Medicine
    Current status: Bulking

I'm 25 (at the end of the week), I've been smoking since I was about 13, regularly since about 15-16. I've been on this website about 5 years, I have learned how to eat and how to lift for strength gains. Now my goal is to ramp up my cardiovascular health, focus more on general wellness.

I appreciate the commentary but I'm not sure how a high fiber diet would help?

I'm going to wait for Built to finish her program..

Why not continue lifting while working in some cardio? Gradually working it in as part of your routine might be the easiest thing to do. People who jump into doing cardio work generally burn out pretty quick and end up giving up.

Good luck with quitting!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    So i'm looking for some insight on Cardio routines. FIRST AND FOREMOST: I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING. My options are my elliptical, my punching bags (150lbs and 250lbs), and running in my lovely neighborhood (milfs, gilfs, and dilfs galore). I would like to do all 3 to sort of have a high intensity to low intensity routine set up. So I figure, 4-8 weeks of some ass kicking cardio, a nice diet, a focused mind, and I should not have to smoke again and I'm on track to a healthy heart and lungs. I'm ready.

I don't know **** about PROPER cardio training. I have more to say and ask but I guess I'll wait for a response to this...

quit smoking then, i did cold turkey. also work your way in to cardio, the heavy bag will kill you trust me i do it every day for a hobby, and i've been doing it for a month now and it works you're whole body practically if you know how to punch........... Then go on the elliptical while you're still fatigued, run moderatly for a good 10-15 minutes going fast as long as you can then slow till you catch your breath, then fast again, get the idea??

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

A little update..

After I posted here I went on vacation till today. That same night I decided I wouldn't finish my pack of cigarettes and tossed them. I have been cigarette smoke free for a few days (I don't really want to keep track, just stay on track). My birth day was the 8th and as we all know it's hard to not give in to your vices when you party...I had absolutely NO cravings to smoke, still haven't. I'm feeling good..

I've also started running, about 2.5-3 miles depending on which route I take in my neighborhood.. It takes me about 30 minutes, 40 if I walk a little. The best part is I can actually catch my breath WHILE running...

I've been talking to Anthony and I'm going to work towards interval training slowly, and not give up on lifting.

arnoldsclone, how long/much did you smoke? I was up to two packs a day - sober. A little drinking and I was up to 4 in a night easy.

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    A little update..

After I posted here I went on vacation till today. That same night I decided I wouldn't finish my pack of cigarettes and tossed them. I have been cigarette smoke free for a few days (I don't really want to keep track, just stay on track). My birth day was the 8th and as we all know it's hard to not give in to your vices when you party...I had absolutely NO cravings to smoke, still haven't. I'm feeling good..

I've also started running, about 2.5-3 miles depending on which route I take in my neighborhood.. It takes me about 30 minutes, 40 if I walk a little. The best part is I can actually catch my breath WHILE running...

I've been talking to Anthony and I'm going to work towards interval training slowly, and not give up on lifting.

arnoldsclone, how long/much did you smoke? I was up to two packs a day - sober. A little drinking and I was up to 4 in a night easy.
    i pack a day at the most, 2 if i was drinking lol! I just can quit cigs really easily, but i also smoke de ganja sooo i had somethin to fall back on lol!

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA