Thread: Is there a firefighter in the house?

Is there a firefighter in the house?

I'm considering starting a training regiment for becoming a firefighter. I was just wondering if there were any firefighters on the forums who could offer some advice. Thanks guys
    "Tom explained that when he came in he was in awe of the lifters in the group and that you can never become what you're in awe of."

"keep smoking weed, fail the test, and learn a ****ing lesson."--MrWebb78

"Chicks dig lifters because they know lifters arn't affraid of commitment"

Wannabebig Member
    yea im a fireman...what kinda stuff do u want to know
    Bench = 235 Height = 5'9
    Squat = 355 Weight = 230
    Deadlift= 315
    Total = 905

I'm also considering the same thing upon completion of EMt school.

Is there a cut off age for firefighters? Also what would you consider essential training that would benefit a firefighter?
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

I just took my nremt test this morning. I dont know if there are similar things in your area but there is a Fire Academy run through one of the local colleges where I live that is very well known too all the local fire departments and has somewhere around a 90% hiring rate. Im stuck on the waiting list right now for it. I know they recommend you be around 20 to do it cause some departments are 21 requirement. And they give you ff1 ff2 hazmat emt-basic (if you dont already have it) and a few other certifications if you test for them. Its a pretty nice thing if they have one in your area I would definately look into it. Also call some of the fire depts I know there are several around here that just started. They are like 3000-4000$ for 1 semester and you get all the training you need.

Hopefully that helps a little.
    Last edited by pulse; 06-23-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

There's a local college here that has a similair program I plan to attend.

What concerned me was I am pushing 31 and someone told me there's an age cap. I can't see them capping it until late 30's if they actually do. I mean most men are pretty able bodied in their early to mid 30's if not beyond.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

well my first question is where do i start? I am currently working on my BA in intergrative studies at ASU. After that do i get my emt? or should i go thru a fire acadamey. Im not really sure how the whole thing works. My second question is what should my workouts focus on? I know endurance is a big deal, so should i train almost like i would for a "worlds strongest man" where i would have to not only pick up heavy objects, but focus on moving them? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kyolked; 06-23-2007 at 11:12 PM.
    "Tom explained that when he came in he was in awe of the lifters in the group and that you can never become what you're in awe of."

props to firefighters.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    There's a local college here that has a similair program I plan to attend.

What concerned me was I am pushing 31 and someone told me there's an age cap. I can't see them capping it until late 30's if they actually do. I mean most men are pretty able bodied in their early to mid 30's if not beyond.
    Up here in the great white north, it's very common for guys to get on well into their 30's even early 40's. The retirement age is 65. If you can pass the physical and aptitude tests than there's no reason for you not to get on. Again, that's here in Canada, the States may be very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Quote Originally Posted by Kyolked View Post
    I'm considering starting a training regiment for becoming a firefighter. I was just wondering if there were any firefighters on the forums who could offer some advice. Thanks guys
    I'm a Wisconsin College Certified Firefighter. I know all the things I need to know to safely enter and rescue/recover someone.

Honestly, firefighting is a very difficult thing to train for. You can't train for the conditions, but you can train to keep the respiratory system/circulatory system strong. I'd suggest jogging and running. Lifting is another thing you'll need.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 06-24-2007 at 09:06 AM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

How does the whole process work, or where can i find a list of stuff i need to acomplish step by step to become a firefighter. I know i sould probally just run up to the firestation and ask a few questions but im really busy. Im graduating w/ my bachlors degree in 2 years in intergrative studies. after that do i find a JC and get my EMT and fire 1 and fire 2 and cpat?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyolked View Post
    How does the whole process work, or where can i find a list of stuff i need to acomplish step by step to become a firefighter. I know i sould probally just run up to the firestation and ask a few questions but im really busy. Im graduating w/ my bachlors degree in 2 years in intergrative studies. after that do i find a JC and get my EMT and fire 1 and fire 2 and cpat?

Find the website for your local firefighter/paramedic and see what they require for hiring candidates - that's what I did. Alot of places here in Fl consolidate EMT/Firefighting so in this county I need to be a registered EMT before applying to the Fire Academy.
    -Stray-

Well for the training im getting you don't need your emt certification you can get it with the class. I just did it ahead of time so I can still work tuesdays and thursdays while I am in the academy (which is full time). Those are the designated emt days. As far as training goes obviously your going to have to be strong enough to carry the equipment pretty easily and carry patients. To pass the test I think its a combination of pushups, running, and an obstacle course with your gear on if I recall correctly. Of course I havent done all that yet so Im not 100% sure. I would call up some of the local schools in your area I am sure someone would know. That only takes a few minutes.

And about the age thing. Pushing 31 really isnt anything to worry about if you are still in fairly good physical shape. Not all firefighters are in the great shape that you see in movies and those stupid calendars. The big problem is your going to be doing lots of lifting with the job and lots of people end up with back problems from incorrect lifts and that will end your career pretty quickly. Im going to assume your fine since your an active member of a bodybuilding forums
    Last edited by pulse; 06-24-2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: forgot to answer someones question

Squat: 265x1 | Bench: 190x1 | Deadlift: 315x1 (Started 6/3/07)
    My Journal

Phenom - After two speeding tickets I drive like I have a kilo of cocaine and a dead body in my trunk.

thanks for the advice everyone!

Wannabebig Member SCFIREFIGHTER's Avatar
    Crossfit
    I'm the Guy that does his job, You must be the other Guy!

Man is the only creature that dares to light a fire and live with it. The reason? Because he alone has learned to put it out. ~Henry Jackson Vandyke, Jr.

Here at our department, the age cut off for firefighters is 45, the same as our police department. I've been on the Police Dept. for 2 years, and recently joined the local F.D. as part time at 23, it's good to start young, but in both fields we have very excellent men and women join up even at 45. If you're in good phsyical and mental health, you should do just fine. Good luck on whatever you choose to do guys.