The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Vertical jump Bble:)

So I just started doing plyos for the first time. Never really worked out my legs and had a standing vert of a pathetic 20".

after my 2nd day i've gained 2"...which is very hard for me to believe.. i hope i can add 1-2" a week..that would be crazy but highly doubtful.

I'm doing the beginner exercises to build up to actual workouts such as squats etc.

I'll keep you guys updated.

just wanted to see if anyone else did them and had success?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Big #Five-Nine
    i usually do weighted box jumps. I grab a 30-50 and just jump on a 6'' to 1.5'' foot box. And its usually change in speed...but after someone broke the box step i could not do it anymore...the top slides off. So now i just stand under the rim and jump up and touch it 20 times after a leg workout. by 12 i can not touch it anymore. I have not tried the verticle bible though...

Wannabebig Member
    oh okay. i really think this will work so i'm just posting to try to keep myself motivated if i get another inch at the end of next week making a total of 3" gain i'll be extremely happy considering i havent started using the actual weights yet? im sure at some point ill max out my plyo ability and need to go to weights and novice level for plyos and start more gains there i woudlnt mind going from a 20" to a 35" vert..

standing reach is 8 feet...if i can get a 35" standing vert i should be able to dunk without running. ...if i can just dunk easily i'll be happy..nothing fancy..my main goal is to be quicker, jump faster, so i can rebound and play better.
    Last edited by thecourtside; 06-24-2007 at 07:56 PM.

I bought the book and use it. I would not expect to continue at your current pace. The book was excellent though and covers everything you need to know on how to increase your vertical. It taught me that I was focusing too much on my plyo work, and not enough on overall strength and power. I already had plenty of "bounce". I need to re-measure my standing vert but it's probably around 30".

Thecourtside, there's probably no way you could increase your ABILITY to jump by 2'' in one week. What's more likely is that your form got better and you managed to eke out another 2''. Either way, kudos.

Now, just work on the hard part - get your ability up and you'll really see some gains in the air.
    Last edited by McIrish; 06-27-2007 at 08:42 PM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

It is true that 2 inches in one week is likely due to jumping mechanics (read page 127? i think). Anyways, it is good that you are starting with bodyweight exercises before weights. When you can maneuver your own bodyweight efficiently it will make weight training more effective in the future. I never really started with bodyweight training so my vertical only went up a little ways. Now I'm adding it in (really good stuff developed by a qualified trainer) and my vertical is just soaring. I think I started with a 21 or 22 inch jump, and now I'm pushing 30. My running is about 36.

Stick with the book, Kelly knows his stuff. If I have one piece of advice it would be to not get so sucked up in the fact that getting stronger will make you jump higher that you forget movement efficiency like I did. Make sure you do the plyos (even the one's that don't seem to be doing anything) and keep doing the mobility exercises. Getting stronger will do nothing if you can't transfer the energy into the ground very well. (Read Kelly's "Good feet vs. Bad feet" article on his website.

That's about all I have to say.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

intitally your gonna see al ot of improvement, just because you are learning the correct way to jump, correcting bad form always leads to exceptional gains initally, no matter what aspect of sports you are talking about
    CONSISTANT EFFORT is more important than any formula for success