The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

practical programming - texas method - routine help

After reading Practical Programming, I decided I wanted to try putting what I had learned to the test by creating a routine based on the texas method, which I plan on starting today. I already had some help, but I just wanted to run it by the forum members, before I started using it, to make sure I got everything right. It's pretty similar to the one outlined in the book. My goal is just to get stronger over all and to have fun doing it.

Monday:

Core Lifts:

Olympic Style Full Squats - 5x5
    Push Press - 6x3
    Power Clean - 5x2

Assistance:

Dips - 3x10
    Pull ups - 3x10
    Ab Wheel - 2x5

Wednesday:

Overhead Squats - 3x3
    Overhead Press - 3x3
    Power Snatches - 3x3

Friday

Core Lifts:

Powerlifting Style Parallel Squats - 3RM
    Bench Press - 3RM
    Deadlift - 3 Heavy Singles @ 95%

Assitance:

Glute-Ham Raises - 3x10
    Leg Raises - 3x10

I'll also being doing grip work, but I'm not sure when the best days to do it are.

My biggest question is that, in the book, whatever is being done on Monday is also done on Friday, but the author never says that that has to be the case. Is it okay to be doing push press on Monday, but bench press on Friday, or do I have to do push press on Friday?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks fine to me, except I would keep the monday exercises the same as friday. The training effect is based on heavy monday, light wednesday and PR friday. If you are switching exercises, your not going to get the full effect as I understand it.
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 06-25-2007 at 11:16 AM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Thanks. Another question I have is that I know Wednesday is supposed to be low intensity, but can I use relatively heavy loads for the snatch and overhead squat because they are relatively light compared to the other lifts? Can I use 100 pounds for overhead squats even though that's the most I can do for 3x3 because 100 pounds is light compared to my regular squat?

Yes, he mentions in the book that you can use a squat variation. Although I think you're making the concept more complicated than need be. Why not try the simple outline he presents and milk it for all it's worth. Then if you need further variation, look into options.

To be honest, most of us here can still progress on simple linear periodization ...
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

The reason I made it more complex than it had to be is because I enjoy doing a varied routine. That's all. There were lifts I wanted to do that weren't included in his simple outline. Actually, he doesn't even present a complete outline of a texas method routine. I didn't alter anything essential. It's still a full-body routine done three days a week with one squat variation, one press variation, and one pull variation per day done with high volume medium intensity on Monday, low volume low intensity on Wednesday, and high intensity low volume on Friday. Plus, he does say that the intermediate lifter benefits the most from variety.

After I read the book, I did the novice routine for a few weeks to see if I could make any progress workout-to-workout, and I did, but I got kind of tired with the routine. I'm not an athlete, so my enjoyment is as important as what works. I'm just trying to maximize enjoyment and progress.

And, another question regarding intermediate training in general is how it changes if I am maintaining weight instead of gaining. Should the routine change or should I just make smaller jumps in weight from week to week?
    Last edited by noahfor123; 06-26-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Read the chapter again, he's pretty specific as to why you use the same exercise on Monday & Friday (disruption & expression).

I'm not saying variation is bad, I'm just saying that your tweaks essentially changed the program into something different than he is talking about.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123 View Post
    And, another question regarding intermediate training in general is how it changes if I am maintaining weight instead of gaining. Should the routine change or should I just make smaller jumps in weight from week to week?
    Strength training is not that dependent on massive eating. You should be able to get plenty stronger without gaining weight. The routine should not change.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.