Thread: Is Strength Genetic?

Is Strength Genetic?

I first starting Lifting at the age of 15 one year later i was Benching 265 and 3 months after that i was benching 285,all in the span of 13 months.I stopped working out religously for about a year but I'd say every once in a while Id see a bench an max out.The most i maxed out at was 275 and that was on a clean 4 month break from the last time i even picked up a bar.

So i was just wondering if strength is genetic ? Or the abililty to keep it is?

Bench 315lbs. 1x Raw
    Dead Lift 365lbs. 1x Raw
    Leg Press 6x 1,140lbs.
    Chin-ups 25 straight

Yeah you lucky sob, I can't even hit your max when you first started.

Its been three years and I would have to say I was the strongest or atleast the most defined body at 16.Now I'm trying to get back into lifting but as of the last year its been all cardio and Calisthetics for my kickboxing

Bench 315lbs. 1x Raw
    Dead Lift 365lbs. 1x Raw
    Leg Press 6x 1,140lbs.
    Chin-ups 25 straight

I'd say the potential for strength is genetic. Look at the strongmen competitors, and Olympic powerlifters. Lots of champions are Scandinavian, German, Polish, Russian, Slavs (seems to be areas with Viking blood flowing around). Not too many French, Italian, Greek, Asians, African, or Arabs.

I say potential because if you are a slob with good genetics, it's wasted potential. Think how many potential champions only lift bags of Doritos.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

If you read up on what some of the ancient greek Olympians could lift... its comparable to today.
    Last edited by The Champion; 06-28-2007 at 11:22 AM.

how much do you weigh power-house?
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts
    Squat: 295x5
    Bench: 215x1
    Deadlift: 300x5

Quote Originally Posted by 123 champ View Post
    how much do you weigh power-house?

I way 155lbs. Sir

Bench 315lbs. 1x Raw
    Dead Lift 365lbs. 1x Raw
    Leg Press 6x 1,140lbs.
    Chin-ups 25 straight

nanni?!?

You only weight 5 pounds more then me, and you are that damn strong?

i hate you haha. those are some pretty impressive numbers, but why is you deadlift so low compared to your other lifts? i mean 305 is a great lift but thats only like 20 pounds more than you can bench. have you just never really maxed it out?
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

Quote Originally Posted by 123 champ View Post
    i hate you haha. those are some pretty impressive numbers, but why is you deadlift so low compared to your other lifts? i mean 305 is a great lift but thats only like 20 pounds more than you can bench. have you just never really maxed it out?

I have only deadlifted once and it was at my friends house.They were moving and the Weights were in the garage so we just started seeing who could deadlift the most and I only could do 305 my friends are a few years older then me and they (brothers) put up 325 and 350 and they dont even work out

Bench 315lbs. 1x Raw
    Dead Lift 365lbs. 1x Raw
    Leg Press 6x 1,140lbs.
    Chin-ups 25 straight

Quote Originally Posted by Shouji View Post
    nanni?!?

You only weight 5 pounds more then me, and you are that damn strong?
    Well lol I have to stay light for KickBoxing cuz there are some BIIIIGGG guys that weigh only 170

Bench 315lbs. 1x Raw
    Dead Lift 365lbs. 1x Raw
    Leg Press 6x 1,140lbs.
    Chin-ups 25 straight

A lot could be due to your daily activities effecting your starting strength
    ..... kickboxing
    I have seen many Marines bench well over 200 without prior
    weight training for years.
    Last edited by blackboard; 06-28-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    I'd say the potential for strength is genetic. Look at the strongmen competitors, and Olympic powerlifters. Lots of champions are Scandinavian, German, Polish, Russian, Slavs (seems to be areas with Viking blood flowing around). Not too many French, Italian, Greek, Asians, African, or Arabs.

I say potential because if you are a slob with good genetics, it's wasted potential. Think how many potential champions only lift bags of Doritos.
    I think somebody needs to read up on their history. Yes, there are a lot of Scandinavian, German, Polish, Russian, etc. strong guys but keep in mind there is also a very high level of participation in those sports in those countries. And if you don't think there have been a lot of strong greek, french, asian, etc. people then you don't know your history.

Some great strongmen were french or french canadian. Louis Cyr and Apollon come to mind. There are plenty of great greek olympic lifters, including the great Pyrros Dimas (sp?). Hussein RezaZadeh is Iranian and is among the strongest oly lifters ever, definitely the strongest right now. Britain has a long history of very strong men, like Geoff Capes and Andy Bolton. African lifters? Well, there's been plenty of lifters of african descent among the strongest powerlifters of all time. OD Wilson and Mark Henry (now a pro-wrestler) come to mind. Mark Felix is a good example from strongman. Look at the participants in the World's Strongest Man competitions, who have been from all over. Great Britain produced the great Geoff Capes, Gary Taylor and Jaime Reeves. Some french canadian guys are in there, as well, like Hugo Girard and Dominic Filiou. There are some chinese oly lifters out there whoa re among the best in the world. Japan is known for their huge and strong sumo wrestlers, and they also are respected and competitive in powerlifting on the world stage. The great oly lifter Tommy Kono was of japanese descent.

So you see, there is no genetic concentration of strength in any one part of the world. Strong people are everywhere. It's just that there are some cultural differences that impact how many people in certain places decide to cultivate that strength and try to reach the limits of their genetic strength abilities. In some places more emphasis is placed on strength as a positive attribute and therefore in those places more people participate in strength sports. In many eastern european nation, for instance, olympic lifting is like a religion. In some places, though, like some asian countries, strength is less emphasized as a desired attribute and so there is less participation in strength sports or bodybuilding in those places. Some places, like many places in asia or africa, are very poor and people there are too busy trying to survive and lack access to equipment and organized methods to help them train.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    Not too many French, Italian, Greek, Asians, African, or Arabs..
    you forgot about the Spartans my friend lol

A+ for Guido! Nice write up

btw since we are talking about lifters from different regions and countries, I'm half Iranian. yay for having the strongest oly lifter! haha, he is a beast and fun to watch.
    Last edited by 123 champ; 06-28-2007 at 04:47 PM.
    Srength Journal

5'3
    146lb

RAW Lifts

Well if your a tall person then that means more muscle can be put onto your body. Look at all the strongmen guys their all over 6 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Power-House View Post
    So i was just wondering if strength is genetic ? Or the abililty to keep it is?
    Is being tall genetic? How about general body type? If everyone trained really hard, could anyone make the Olympics?

Of course strength is genetic. Sure, if you work hard at it, you can become stronger but you'll never be better than your genetic potential without outside chemical help. I mean, one of the biggest factors in determining how good of a 'strength athlete' you can be is the ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fibers in your body. If you are 70% slow twitch, you just aren't going to be a great Olympic lifter. Similarly, if you are heavily fast twitch, you will never be a great marathon runner. These distributions mainly are determined by genetics (though there it has been shown that fibers can convert.. just not to a large extent.)

As an athlete at 155lbs lifting what you say with the very limited amount of training you have, you probably have very good neuro-muscular efficiency that you inherited from your parents.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris View Post
    Is being tall genetic? How about general body type? If everyone trained really hard, could anyone make the Olympics?

Of course strength is genetic. Sure, if you work hard at it, you can become stronger but you'll never be better than your genetic potential without outside chemical help. I mean, one of the biggest factors in determining how good of a 'strength athlete' you can be is the ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fibers in your body. If you are 70% slow twitch, you just aren't going to be a great Olympic lifter. Similarly, if you are heavily fast twitch, you will never be a great marathon runner. These distributions mainly are determined by genetics (though there it has been shown that fibers can convert.. just not to a large extent.)

As an athlete at 155lbs lifting what you say with the very limited amount of training you have, you probably have very good neuro-muscular efficiency that you inherited from your parents.

Jay

Thanks Jay, You definitly seem to know your stuff.Thanks again

Bench 315lbs. 1x Raw
    Dead Lift 365lbs. 1x Raw
    Leg Press 6x 1,140lbs.
    Chin-ups 25 straight

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxiscool View Post
    Well if your a tall person then that means more muscle can be put onto your body. Look at all the strongmen guys their all over 6 feet.
    I'm over 6' tall but I have a small frame and can't lift near what some people lift starting out. I started out squatting 95lb's for 5 reps.

You have to be somewhat tall but more importantly have a big frame. That is ALL genetic. Some people can work their whole young adult lives and not even get close to what some people can achieve after their first 6 months training. Its not that the former person didn't work hard enough, its that he just doesn't have the genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champion View Post
    If you read up on what some of the ancient greek Olympians could lift... its comparable to today.
    Ancient greeks were mostly European until the moorish invasion changed the genetic makeup of those areas significantly. Achilles and Ulysses were described by Homer and Aeneas as having flowing blond hair and alabaster skin.

Guido,
    Well put points on different cultures placing more emphasis on strength. I know there are champions from many places on earth.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I think somebody needs to read up on their history. Yes, there are a lot of Scandinavian, German, Polish, Russian, etc. strong guys but keep in mind there is also a very high level of participation in those sports in those countries. And if you don't think there have been a lot of strong greek, french, asian, etc. people then you don't know your history.

Some great strongmen were french or french canadian. Louis Cyr and Apollon come to mind. There are plenty of great greek olympic lifters, including the great Pyrros Dimas (sp?). Hussein RezaZadeh is Iranian and is among the strongest oly lifters ever, definitely the strongest right now. Britain has a long history of very strong men, like Geoff Capes and Andy Bolton. African lifters? Well, there's been plenty of lifters of african descent among the strongest powerlifters of all time. OD Wilson and Mark Henry (now a pro-wrestler) come to mind. Mark Felix is a good example from strongman. Look at the participants in the World's Strongest Man competitions, who have been from all over. Great Britain produced the great Geoff Capes, Gary Taylor and Jaime Reeves. Some french canadian guys are in there, as well, like Hugo Girard and Dominic Filiou. There are some chinese oly lifters out there whoa re among the best in the world. Japan is known for their huge and strong sumo wrestlers, and they also are respected and competitive in powerlifting on the world stage. The great oly lifter Tommy Kono was of japanese descent.

So you see, there is no genetic concentration of strength in any one part of the world. Strong people are everywhere. It's just that there are some cultural differences that impact how many people in certain places decide to cultivate that strength and try to reach the limits of their genetic strength abilities. In some places more emphasis is placed on strength as a positive attribute and therefore in those places more people participate in strength sports. In many eastern european nation, for instance, olympic lifting is like a religion. In some places, though, like some asian countries, strength is less emphasized as a desired attribute and so there is less participation in strength sports or bodybuilding in those places. Some places, like many places in asia or africa, are very poor and people there are too busy trying to survive and lack access to equipment and organized methods to help them train.
    you said it best, my friend. when manowar said there were no strong guys in Britan, i immediately thought of andy bolton.