The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Weaving sets together

Hey, just a quick question:

Say, for example, on my bis/tris day I do three sets of curls and three sets of pushdowns or whatever. Is it bad if, for timing purposes, right after I finish a set of curls of my first bi exercise I do a set of tris? Or should I wait untill all my bicep exercises are done before I move on to triceps. I say this because doesn't it accomplish the same thing if while waiting for my biceps to recover I go hit my triceps? Or does my body need a full 2 minutes without doing ANY exercises? Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Its called super setting and its great!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks. I only ask because I have always done it and someone somewhere asked in what order to do WBB1 exercises in and got a reply pretty much saying "do it in muscle groups, wait for shoulders to be done before going to bis"

Well it is wise to target the 'bigger' muscle groups first. Do rows before curls, bench before tris, etc. That way when you train the larger groups, they won't be burned out already.

Training in antagonist pairs is a nice way to do it, especially for smaller muscles like bis and tris. Set of bis, short rest, set of tris, short rest ... until all sets are done. The rests between individual bicep sets and individual tricep rests are long enough to qualify as real breaks, and you clear lactate built up from working the agonist when you train the antagonist.

Supersetting is good fun.

However the question that needs to be asked is why do bi/tris have their own day?

Mr. D, technically these aren't true supersets - the muscles are mutual antagonists, and there's rest between sets.

I'm not an advocate of "arm day", but I can see if someone is condensing an arrangement where they do, say, front squats and rdls, then bis and tris on a given day, something like this could fit in nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Mr. D, technically these aren't true supersets - the muscles are mutual antagonists, and there's rest between sets.
    Agreed.

I'm not an advocate of "arm day", but I can see if someone is condensing an arrangement where they do, say, front squats and rdls, then bis and tris on a given day, something like this could fit in nicely.
    I am sort ofunclear on what you are saying. If he does the arms with the legs, then I agree, its a nice arrangement.

However the way I read it is that, its a whole day dedicated to arms.
    Last edited by Mr. D; 06-28-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Haha no, I just thought it was the most basic example to choose from. I'm on WBB1

Though i said "agreed" on this earlier, I later recalled that the likes of Poliquin when setting up workouts in the A1,A2;B1,B2;etc manner, calling them supersets even though they are antagonist pairs.

Even in Lyles UD2.0 book he talks about bench and row supersetting.

D - I was thinking something like dumbbell bicep curls with dips, say after squats and deads.
    Yes. The OP doesnt have a day dedicated totally for arms, so I think its all cleared up.