The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Anyone work at Best Buy?

Ok normally I don't have a problem with Best Buy. This is the second time I have had to return an item because I found out they screwed me in the ass.

I bought a 512mb stick of DDR memory from Best Buy for $64.99. I then found out that I could have gotten the same stick of memory online for less than half that.

The other day I bought a 3ft HDMI cable for $49.99. I just picked up a 6ft from newegg.com for $14.99 w/ free shipping.
    I will be returning this open item in hopes they will mark it down and only partially screw someone.

I know that all I had to do was research online, but I should'nt have to do that, they should price their items at a decent price. THey are charging people 2-4 times the price for their items. I just think its ****ed up!

The only thing I will buy from Best Buy are DVDs. I'M FED UP!
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch View Post
    Ok normally I don't have a problem with Best Buy. This is the second time I have had to return an item because I found out they screwed me in the ass.

I bought a 512mb stick of DDR memory from Best Buy for $64.99. I then found out that I could have gotten the same stick of memory online for less than half that.

The other day I bought a 3ft HDMI cable for $49.99. I just picked up a 6ft from newegg.com for $14.99 w/ free shipping.
    I will be returning this open item in hopes they will mark it down and only partially screw someone.

I know that all I had to do was research online, but I should'nt have to do that, they should price their items at a decent price. THey are charging people 2-4 times the price for their items. I just think its ****ed up!

The only thing I will buy from Best Buy are DVDs. I'M FED UP!
    how is that anyones fault but yours?
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Squat slowly improving :)
    Research a product before you buy it and you wouldn't have to return it. They are in it for the profit, not to help you out with affordable prices.
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

This is a prime example of you needing to do your homework. Most people do not, and most people never find out just how badly they were reamed. You should never pay more then $20 for any HDMI cable. You should invest the half hour and research something before you buy it.

Bestbuy is stupid like that, sometimes you get awesome deals... most times you get bent over the barrel.

You can get just about anything online for way cheaper. Selling stuff out of your moms basement with no overhead means lower prices.
    Nick V

Its not even a fact about having to do your homework. If you cut out the middle man like most online retailers do of course they are going to be able to sell for less. Its one less person that needs to make a profit in getting the product to the customer.
    My sig scared getfit.

Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch View Post
    i dont know if you mean best buy online or just online.

But i know best buy got into trouble a while ago. On bestbuy.com they would show ads for there products, say a new tv on sale $1000. You would get to the store and see the TV price went up to $1500. A customer would then say 'you have your tv on sale for $1000, i wan it for that' the employee would then show you a fake website that looks the exact same as the online website but it shows the tv for $1500. The salesman would then offer you the tv for the $1500.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

I worked at best buy for a while and I was really surprised to find out which Products had the biggest mark up.. A/V accesories were by far though the largest markup. For a business like best buy they have to recoop their loses through peripheral items like cables, services(install and such) ect, ect..

I bought a bunch of stuff while I worked there but after seeing the markup and being able to find roughly the same price online as I was able to get with my discount. I will stick with a quality online source anyday.

Dont blame Best Buy for your lack of effort, they do sell quality products for the most part. and for some people who would rather have item in hand day of purchase, rather than 3-5day shipping time its justifiable.
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

Welcome to retail vs wholesale

I'm surprised you weren't aware of this.

I work for a similar retail store, and cables and peripherals are the big money items.

The store buys a six foot USB Cable for $2.50 and turns around and sells it for 24.99. I sell them all day long at that price too.

Here's the tactic: You buy a printer, TV, or computer at a good price. You need a USB cable for your printer. The store makes very little, and sometimes nothing, from printers, but they can make over $20 just selling that one cable to you.

With TVs it's the HDMI cables. We actually sell those things for $82. Ridiculous. I just received mine today from Newegg for $8.

With computers it's surge protectors, and possibly ethernet cables. There's actually a little more profit from a good surge protector being sold than a USB cable.

And you do really need a good surge protector down here in Florida. UPS's aren't marked up much, if it all, surprisingly. It's just the surge protectors.

For laptops, there are bags, but there isn't a whole lot of profit from those, so you have to try to sell the extended warranty, which is almost pure profit.

In conclusion, it's perfectly fine to buy a printer, laptop, TV, or something like that from any big retail store. They sometimes have great sales on them (Another thing, don't buy it unless it's on sale. It will be within a couple weeks if it isn't now). Just decline any extras (Except maybe warranties. They CAN be useful, and TV warranties often include surge protection) such as cables.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Banned
    ^^ Good advice.

Some retail stores have a policy that if you aren't offered a printer cable when you buy a printer, you get one free. Now it's time to think strategy....

Retailers generally have higher prices because their costs are higher, and also because retailers can prey on uneducated suckers.

You paid more because you did your research after the fact. Learn from it and move on. Also, the accessory items tend to be marked up a lot higher.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Best Buy will charge you up the arse. Their mark up is ridiculous. I bought a hard drive on NewEgg for my laptop for 70 bucks. The same exact hard drive is 120 dollars at Best Buy. Don't ever buy from there if you can help it.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Best Buy will charge you up the arse. Their mark up is ridiculous. I bought a hard drive on NewEgg for my laptop for 70 bucks. The same exact hard drive is 120 dollars at Best Buy. Don't ever buy from there if you can help it.
    Oh I can trust me.
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC

WBB Member
    Bottom line - Always do some research before you buy something that isn't cheap. Best Buy usually *isn't* the best buy, except on Black Friday
    Last edited by SpecialK; 07-05-2007 at 08:57 AM.