The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

training too hard?

Im being honest... i don't know much about weight lifting. I started in january and I just recently decided to get serious with it. Ive drinking whey protein+milk shakes and creatine. I use a home weight lifting machine labeled "Competitor (WM1505)" that has been with the family since christmas.

I alternate one day of rest and one day of working out because I was told that's what I should do by a friend (he also recommended the shakes and creatine). I chest pressed 100lbs (the whole stack) 16 reps, then 18, then 20 over the period of one week. Today I could only 16 until I couldnt anymore. Am I training too hard? I've heard it is possible to damage your muscles if you train too hard... is that possibly why I cant do as many now? I'm a small guy.. I don't know how that factors in to weight lifting but I'm only 5'5 and I think 135 lbs. Maybe that's as much as my muscles can go?

Sorry for all the silly questions.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You shouldn't be using that crappy machine. Reps shoud be in the 6-10 range.

Chest 2x a week. Get a membership to a gym.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks a bunch. I cant get a gym membership because I cant drive to a gym. Is there any other way to train chest and abs more (Im ab-crunching the whole stack already, too) other than a gym?

Also, I was wondering if there was a different way to train hamstrings? the excercise that the machine reccomends for hamstrings hurts my knees... it is like a leg press but backwards... forget what its called.

Are you doing any other exersises.... ?

I think you need to dump that machine in the garbage. Then get yourself a sturdy bench a barbell, two dumbells, and an assorment of weights. And you will be much better off.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxiscool View Post
    Are you doing any other exersises.... ?
    yes, but I start off my exercises with chest presses. I've been worrying about my biceps, too... I always get a really cold feeling in them when I sleep at night. I keep thinking that my circulation is bad or something... anybody have any idea what that is? normal?

Quote Originally Posted by smallguy4321 View Post
    yes, but I start off my exercises with chest presses. I've been worrying about my biceps, too... I always get a really cold feeling in them when I sleep at night. I keep thinking that my circulation is bad or something... anybody have any idea what that is? normal?
    Your probably just sleeping on your arm and cutting of the circulation. Happens to me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by maxiscool View Post
    I think you need to dump that machine in the garbage. Then get yourself a sturdy bench a barbell, two dumbells, and an assorment of weights. And you will be much better off.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    You shouldn't be using that crappy machine. Reps shoud be in the 6-10 range.

Chest 2x a week. Get a membership to a gym.
    Hey, on the benching twice a week -- what are you doing on the 2nd bench day, your regular chest routine?

To the OP: If you're putting up 16 reps, the weight is way too light for you.
    Last edited by fpr; 07-09-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Just depends on your routine! how much are you doing? are your trashing your chest on the first day or are you just working them a good bit?

Wannabebig Member
    well, i go until failure... but afterwards my chest doesnt feel worked out that much. so, i guess im not training hard enough?

lower your reps and do heavier weight. one thing I like to do is start at 10 reps with a decent weight and go up in weight every time till i get to 2 reps with heaviest weight I can do possible. Even if I need help at the end. But I just looked back and the machine you got isnt going to cut it.

Training
    get a routine started, ample amount of reps (10, 12), go heavy, eat well.

muscle soreness aka DOMS may happen.
    Starting over...