The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar

Gold's Gym. The Mecca of Bodybuilding...just not for bodybuilders..

Gold's gym has now adopted the idea that muscleheads are intimidating. Bodybuilders are bad for business.
    Isn't this some ****? Gold's gym has been sold to an investment firm that wants to cater to the geriatric and soccer moms. The days of the Hardcore gym chains are over. I need to find a small ****hole hardcore gym in the area here. I bet Joe Gold is spinning in his grave at the thought of harecore lifting being prohibited in his gyms.
    Ever play" where's waldo?"

Here; where's the Bodybuilder? (And the logo doesn't count)

http://www.goldsgym.com/

Here's a new logo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

What the heck?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

People are dumb...

Gold's are franschised and owned by different people. The ones in Tucson sucked bad. The ones in Phoenix were ok at best. The Utah ones are all nice and new. Maybe the locations around you are doing that but the ones here are the same as always. The owners of the Utah ones don't seem to be changing anything.
    Nick V

Does the old guy doing rows in the aerobics class count?

People doing Yoga on the splash page? Ha.

Before I move I should take a picture of my Gold's. Well, actually, they disassociated themselves from Gold's (I think due to the high franchise fees). Total ****hole, no windows, old machines, no pool, nothing. Totally old school.

It's wonderful.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

"Nice and new"

like Padded Machines of every color and the entire gamut of new fangled cardio equipment?

Bah.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood&Iron View Post
    People doing Yoga on the splash page? Ha.

Before I move I should take a picture of my Gold's. Well, actually, they disassociated themselves from Gold's (I think due to the high franchise fees). Total ****hole, no windows, old machines, no pool, nothing. Totally old school.

It's wonderful.
    That's the case with many of the more "hardcore " gyms...
    The powerhouse in NYC was a gold's until Bev Francis decided to divorce from Gold's.

Combat Infantryman
    I switched gyms from my college gym to a little hole in the wall that's a "health club" or something. Some cardio machines, free weights, tons of spare oly's on the ground ready to use. 4 squat racks. Good to go.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

ya gold's gym is a joke now... there is a brand new one in ohio that i saw for the first time last weekend. it's located in between the Apple store, a starbucks, and a smoothie place. This plaza they're in is behind The Cheesecake Factory restaurant. I couldn't see any free weights at all on a quick glance.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

The one's that i have been to in Vancouver are nice. Not crazy great or anything but still nice. I will always go to Golds before Fitness world........

There are a couple in Austin that are nothing but meatheads, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

My Gold's is pretty good, aside from the freeweight area being a little too small for all the gear. Lots of meatheads in there. There's a new one that opened up n the North side of Indy, but I haven't been there to see what it's like.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

My gym just changed alot of their DB and barbells with a preset weight. Extreme fitness sure is made for the bunnies and fake lifters, but man there are still some beasts here. They dont mind if we use chalk, grunt, drops weights...

Iron4Life
    I just worked out a Gold's in Tallahassee Fl this week.. it was geared towards FSU college kids... it had a couple of squat racks.. but the weights area was only about half the size of the cardio machine area.. and there were these Les Mills aerobic pictures all over.

The big BB'er logo was holding DBs instead of the big, bending bar...

I thought about coloring them pink.. but that might have been cruel..

I asked my gym's owner if he could get me in a belt so I can do weighted chins.

Today he told me no, 'cause I'd be the only one to use it.

**** him. I'm bringing in chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post

And that's why you are one of a kind. I have yet to see any men or women using a dip belt for dips or pull ups.

He is such a tard, I am sure no one uses it because it is not there. If he had one, then he could gage whether or not you would be the only one using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post

You should just bring me in instead. Could ya'll help me get into my squat suit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    He is such a tard, I am sure no one uses it because it is not there. If he had one, then he could gage whether or not you would be the only one using it.
    .... of course then you would see curl jockeys using it for their kickbacks.

and no it doesn't make sense.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    My gym is small as crap but we can do whatever we want. I've never had anyone tell us how loud we could and couldn't be. Its just too small a gym for anyone to care which is what I like. They may not have all the equipment I want but I have enough to have some killer workouts and whatever gets the job done is ok in my book.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

that stinks, my gym is the most hardcore in the state, we have every single thing you can think of, we yell, swear, throw crap, use chalk, whatever.

and the owner is super nice, makes shakes and coffee + you pay your membership whenever, just hand him a 20 dollar bill and he put it in his wallet lol.
    2000 or bust

Hardcore gyms are not over, chains maybe. I work out at SWAT gym which is owned and operated by Bill Kazmaier.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    that stinks, my gym is the most hardcore in the state, we have every single thing you can think of, we yell, swear, throw crap, use chalk, whatever.

and the owner is super nice, makes shakes and coffee + you pay your membership whenever, just hand him a 20 dollar bill and he put it in his wallet lol.

stump. that is f'in awesome.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I want to convince my gym to get Oly plates. How the hell am I supposed to do ME cleans and snatches without breaking something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    That's the case with many of the more "hardcore " gyms...
    The powerhouse in NYC was a gold's until Bev Francis decided to divorce from Gold's.
    That was my old gym. Hardcore was the only way to describe it.

More and more gym are turning to Powerhouse and Word Gym. From what I understand Gold's charges an insane amount for their name. Power and World are much more owner friendly.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase