The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

So what happens if I JUST lift weights?

Say I don't eat above or below maintenance. But I have a 4 day split, consisting of all the heavy compounds, bench, rows, squats, deads, chins..etc

What will happen to me if I lift consistently this way for... say a couple years. Will I get stronger? Will I cut bodyfat%? I'm just curious because people say bodybuilding is 20% work in the gym, 80% diet.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

to my understanding you're describing a body recomposition, and you can get stronger and lose bf% but not nearly to the extent as if you got your diet in check and decided to either bulk or cut. I think this is probably good for someone who is just starting, not really fat but not really skinny. You can just start to eat right, and lift heavy, and get yourself into better shape, then decide where to go from there. If you're skinny to begin with, you need to eat over maintenance to get anywhere. If your fat you need to eat below maintenance.
    Under Construction...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunshow View Post
    to my understanding you're describing a body recomposition, and you can get stronger and lose bf% but not nearly to the extent as if you got your diet in check and decided to either bulk or cut. I think this is probably good for someone who is just starting, not really fat but not really skinny. You can just start to eat right, and lift heavy, and get yourself into better shape, then decide where to go from there. If you're skinny to begin with, you need to eat over maintenance to get anywhere. If your fat you need to eat below maintenance.
    Solid insight in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HighSchoolGuy View Post
    Say I don't eat above or below maintenance. But I have a 4 day split, consisting of all the heavy compounds, bench, rows, squats, deads, chins..etc

What will happen to me if I lift consistently this way for... say a couple years. Will I get stronger? Will I cut bodyfat%? I'm just curious because people say bodybuilding is 20% work in the gym, 80% diet.
    Diet is important, but there's no need to obsess about it or buy truckloads of supplements. Try to eat well and eat plenty. If you train hard and reasonably intelligently, you will make good gains, have less bodyfat, and, IMHO, enjoy yourself more.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

If your the average guy that eats say 2,500 cals a day and doesn't workout and doesn't gain weight......
    now you keep eating the same but workout lets say 4 times a week, so lets make up numbers and say you burn 300cals a workout. So overall in the cource of the week your going to be burning 1200 cals(theres fat loss) and from the resistance training you will build muscle.
    So you will get more muscular while losing fat.
    However, if your diet was perfect you would lose more fat and gain more muscle.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

haha Sensei raced me to it.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

don't forgot your strength as well, the basic movements..regardless of your maintanence calories post-workout nutrition or whatever, if u go from 150lbs x 8 bench, to something like 350lb x 8 your going to have a huge chest regardless.

The body just can't get that strong without compensating by building relatively bigger muscles .. i just eat whatever everyday, i have a really fast metabolism so i can throw down cookies oatmeal and other high calorie foods without any fuss..it's what works to be honest. i get bigger, very, very slowly but don't add much if any fat. like they say if weight[fat] loss was quick, weight gain would be quick too.

so all in all i think you will remain the same fat roughly just be much bigger. seems to me thats how it works but genetics are going to determine what u look like.

good luck!!

welcome to my world for the past couple months. ive noticed muscle AND strength gains but still maintain same bf since i been eating like this. i been eating pretty much anything but watched the ultimate fatty foods (dressings/oils/butter/chicken skin/etc) using moderation.

I'm just lifting weight and watching what I eat in a general sense - not measuring everything I eat like a scientist. I drink 2 protein shakes a day and take creatine.

I've dropped my cholesterol by 23 points, packed on muscle and dropped fat.

Totally doable and you don't have to be a food nazi.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

You'll get stronger, but not much bigger.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

What you're describing is probably what a lot of people do. It's basically what I do. I eat clean maintenance calories, sometimes above by 2-300, take a protein supplement, and creatine mono (and some BSN stuff for kicks). I'm weighing in about the same every week, but I'm visibly getting larger, stronger, and more vascular, so I'm assuming I'm replacing fat with muscle. I've recently started trying to bulk up a few more pounds tho'.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    What you're describing is probably what a lot of people do. It's basically what I do. I eat clean maintenance calories, sometimes above by 2-300, take a protein supplement, and creatine mono (and some BSN stuff for kicks). I'm weighing in about the same every week, but I'm visibly getting larger, stronger, and more vascular, so I'm assuming I'm replacing fat with muscle. I've recently started trying to bulk up a few more pounds tho'.
    How are you getting "larger" if you weight about the same every week?

And if you were replacing fat with muscle...you'd look smaller...

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post

Actually, he would occupy less space since muscle is denser then fat. BUT to be fair leanness does give the illusion of muscles being larger, less fat around the joins and tie ins = bigger looking muscles. Deeper cuts etc.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Actually, he would occupy less space since muscle is denser then fat. [B.

That's what I said. LOL. But good point about the leaness.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-03-2007 at 07:49 PM.

That's what I said. LOL.
    Yes, but he would give of the illusion of being larger. He said he is looking larger. I guess you didn't read the second half of my reply
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Yes, but he would give of the illusion of being larger. He said he is looking larger. I guess you didn't read the second half of my reply

Well to be fair "getting" larger could be interpreted two ways. One is an actual gain in size, the other is an illusion. I took it to mean the former. Guess we'll have to wait until Mr. SDS clues us in.

True that!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Must be the NO-Explode!!!! j/k

I didn't do any before/after pics or take measurements, so it may all be in my mind......maybe I should have said 'leaner' instead of 'larger'. I definitely look harder, and less soft than before no doubt about that, and I'm a helluva lot stronger. Looking at myself in the mirror after training is a big motivator for me right now......I see results and I wanna push on