The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone advise how to switch my routine up?

I came up with this one awhile ago and saw some good results in the form of bench increasing and so on, but now my bench press is stuck at the same weight for weeks. For awhile there I was getting one more rep in every set each week, which mean I could basically increase the weight every week.

I thought maybe it was because I trailed off from eating so much because I'm very much so an ectomorph and have to eat at least 3000 calories and 470g of carbs to gain any weight, but I tried to eat as much as I could for a week or two and saw no gains either. This led me to think that I needed to switch the routine to keep my body guessing.

I'm stuck around the weight of 160lbs, and I got here from reading one of the guides written for ectomorphs at another forum. Helped me gain about 7 more pounds.

Anyway, here is my current routine. I haven't been doing the leg day because my bench sucks and the seat broke so it's hard doing extensions. I also screwed my shoulder up doing something unrelated to working out so it's been about a month since I did the shoulder routines too. I'm not sure what I should add or switch around. I only have a standard bench and barbell with plates right now so I can't do squats very easily, though I'm looking at getting a Powertec rack as soon as I can.

(Check attachment, can't post a link to the image)

I'm hoping to get some more help here than I usually get at bodybuilding.com, where they seem to only ever tell you to read through hundreds of pages before asking a single question. What they don't get is that when you're frustrated and unsure of doing things correctly, you get overwhelmed in doing so and would like to make sure the information is still up to date.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by berfles; 07-04-2007 at 09:26 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

routine looks good, 3k calories is nothing, eat up =)
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

It is for me I have literally gotten to the point of hating food. I don't really have trouble getting to the 3000 calorie and above mark, but I started trying to eat 3g of carbs per pound and that is what put me over the edge. I've taken the week off for now and will start this week and track what I eat again.

What could I switch around so that I start seeing some gains again though? I was going good for a month but I guess my body got used to that and I need to switch something up to get it started again.

I don't think just switching the days would do the trick, would it? I probably need some new exercises in there.

Just eat more fats and proteins. As long as you get 1g protein per lb of bodyweight and .5g fat for lb of body weight the rest of your cals can come from anywhere. I eat dinner that has more then 3000 calories so don't tell me its too hard
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Just eat more fats and proteins. As long as you get 1g protein per lb of bodyweight and .5g fat for lb of body weight the rest of your cals can come from anywhere. I eat dinner that has more then 3000 calories so don't tell me its too hard
    I'm not saying it's hard to eat that much, I'm saying that physically I get tired of eating and can't eat much more than that without feeling sick. As it is right now I don't eat when I'm hungry, I just eat every few hours and force it down.

I get over 150g of protein a day and usually around 450g of carbs, probably somewhere around 40-60g of fat.

When I started counting my carbs, as soon as I started eating over 400g of them I noticed I jumped up to around 160lbs from 152, and my lifts went up with it as well. Since I'm not progressing anymore I assumed it was because I was using this routine too much and I should now switch it up and try another one for a few weeks until I stop progressing with that one as well.

EDIT: Here is an example of what I was eating when I was gaining the weight.
    Last edited by berfles; 07-04-2007 at 10:10 PM.

That routine looks good except for the leg day. I'd drop extensions/curls and add front squats and stiff-legged deadlifts.

3,000 calories does not require much eating. You aren't even eating lunch?

If I were you (I kind of am you, I'm bulking right now), I'd eat your breakfast (500 cals), then drink a shake which could serve as your lunch with that muffin(1,000 cals), eat dinner (800 cals), and drink a shake late at night (1,200 cals). That would be 3,500.

Shake - 1.5 cups milk / 6 tbsp peanut butter / .5 cups ice cream / 2 tbsp olive oil

= 1,050 calories

I'll even give you an example of what I made today after lunch (3 hot dogs).

Shake - 1.5 cups milk / 10 tbsp peanut butter / a bunch of whipped cream / 5 tbsp olive oil / .25 cups coffee / .25 can of pepsi / .5 cups ice cream / half a banana

= 1,750 calories (+ hot dogs and lemonade = 2,750 calories)

So like Unholy said, you can eat near 3,000 calories in one sitting if you try. And to be honest, I wasn't even full after that. I was expecting major nausea after I chugged that shake but it never came. And guess what? After I hit submit, I'm going to make another one .

I eat more fat than you do, and I'm a middle-aged woman on a CUT!

Make olive oil and natural peanut butter your friends!

PS I'm with the others - you need to do full ROM squats and RDLs for leg day. Leg curls and leg extensions pale in comparison.

Thanks.

Like I said, 3000 calories isn't really hard to eat, it's just that I'm not gaining anymore while I eat 3200 and 400g of carbs, and I never have an appetite so as it as, but I guess I'll see how it goes when I start up again this coming week. I was eating lunch, I just wasn't putting the things in the right section when I added them.

I usually do two different protein shakes, one with just milk and ON whey and the other with ON whey, milk, natural peanut butter, and oats. The bigger one is around 800 calories, so would that be the better one to take right after I lift so I get more carbs into my body? I usually take that one before I go to bed.

I also agree about the squats, but I have no squat rack and I don't know if I'd be able to do them without the rack effectively so I was going to wait until I got a rack to start those. If I powerclean the weight up wouldn't that take a lot out of me to even perform the squat well enough?

So I guess other than that, I shouldn't try switching the routine and just try eating more to see if that gets me to gain again? Since I've been doing the same routine for a month or two I thought it would be best to change everything.
    Last edited by berfles; 07-05-2007 at 06:06 AM.

whats with the carbs man? You don't need carbs to get bigger. Protein yes, fat yes, carbs no. Eat as much or as little carbs as you want. The important thing here is calories. Whenever the problem is weight gain, diet is at question, stick to the routine you have, eat more, you will gain weight. If you don't like eating, pick more calorie dense foods.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    whats with the carbs man? You don't need carbs to get bigger. Protein yes, fat yes, carbs no. Eat as much or as little carbs as you want. The important thing here is calories. Whenever the problem is weight gain, diet is at question, stick to the routine you have, eat more, you will gain weight. If you don't like eating, pick more calorie dense foods.
    I was going by a guide that someone wrote over at bodybuilding.com for people who have a lot of trouble gaining weight, and it said I should eat 3g of carbs per pound of weight. Once I started eating more carbs I shot up to 160 in about a week, so I thought that had something to do with it. Before that I was eating almost 4000 calories a day and wasn't gaining anything but with the carbs I was eating less calories and actually gaining weight.

I know I get plenty of protein, so I guess I'll just concentrate on eating more calories and see if I can lift more weight once I get going again. If that still doesn't help my lifts out I'll probably be back here wanting some more help.

You didn't gain 8 lbs of muscle or fat in a week. The weight you gained was simply more water and glycogen retention from all the carbs. What counts is calories.

Calories in have to = more then calories burned. Its a very simple equation and I don't know why so many people have trouble understanding. Simply eat more calorie dense foods, eat fat, eat protein, eat whatever. 3k cals is nothing, eat more.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I meant a few weeks. I was gaining a pound or two a week after being stuck at that weight for months.

I understand the whole calorie intake equation and I'll try eating 4000 a day to see if that helps. I was eating 3800 before I started counting carbs and I got nowhere, and I can't physically eat much more than 4000. I don't know what it is, but I literally gag on food if I eat much more than that. It sounds like a cop out but I don't know what else to say, it can't be that I'm not used to eating that much because I've gone months eating 3500 and I still feel like crap around the same limits.

EDIT: This is just an estimate of what I'll try to eat this week. Looks like I should eat more pasta, lots of calories in a small amount.
    Last edited by berfles; 07-05-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    I can't physically eat much more than 4000. I don't know what it is, but I literally gag on food if I eat much more than that.
    Don't expect to get far then. You are telling me that being awake for 16 hours a day You can't get down 4k cals? You can make 2 shakes a day that will alone put you at 2500. Drink one in the morning one before bed. Eat 3-4 nice meals and thats an EASY 5k / day. Go eat fast food.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Eat fast food? That pretty much goes against everything else that I've ever read. I'd rather try to eat decent calories.

I'll change my shake around and add more peanut butter and another cup of oats or something. I'll figure out what the total will be then.

Oh, I'm sorry you just sounded like a hardgainer having time gaining weight.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I do have a lot of trouble, but I don't want to just rely on eating fast food to gain weight, I'll try eating more complex carb foods with higher caloric values.

Why?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I'll read it in a little while. I've just been pre-programmed to think that even though there are a lot of calories in fast food that they were junk calories and wouldn't help with muscle much.

I revised my bigger protein shake and got it up to 1195 calories by using this:

2 cups milk - 200c
    1 tbsp canola oil - 120c
    4 tbsp natural peanut butter - 380c
    1 cup oats - 375c
    1 scoop ON whey - 120c

Total is 1195, so if I drink two of them, that's 2390 calories a day just from that. With that image I attached in my last post, if I switch the shakes out I'm at almost 4800 calories for that day. Maybe that will do the trick.

Yup, now your talkin brotha, http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=99169 there another thread, someone in the same exact boat as you, and the advice he gets? Its all about eating. You wanna keep it healthy to a certain extent but eating burgers and chicken sandwiches isn't going to hurt you. Just eat. Protein is protein.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Yep. I'm getting excited to start on Monday now, I'm going to load up on foods with a lot of calories and try for at LEAST 4700 a day.

One other thing, should I eat normal food before I lift so my body has energy, and then afterward drink my first protein shake for the day or should I drink that before I work out and eat normal food after the work out?

I'll look into a few more things that I can add to my shake to get the calories up a little more and maybe even make it taste a little better.

EDIT: Here is the food stats that I'll try to adhere to:

Last edited by berfles; 07-05-2007 at 11:42 AM.

You should have something to eat prior.

It can be as simple as a bowl of rice with a can of tuna and salsa, or cottage cheese with fruit or a protein shake and a banana. [By the way, I've done all three on different occasions. Or do the Spamwise special: one scoop of cottage cheese, one can of tuna and tons of Mrs. Dash. The last is an acquired taste. ]
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70 View Post
    You should have something to eat prior.

It can be as simple as a bowl of rice with a can of tuna and salsa, or cottage cheese with fruit or a protein shake and a banana. [By the way, I've done all three on different occasions. Or do the Spamwise special: one scoop of cottage cheese, one can of tuna and tons of Mrs. Dash. The last is an acquired taste. ]
    Thanks, but I meant should I eat real food before and have the shake after, or have the shake before and real food after, or doesn't it matter either way? I'm not sure which would be better for the body while actually working out.

I used to eat cottage cheese and it was horrible, but I never tried putting anything in it. I used to just chase it down with milk

Your fat intake seems a bit low.I'd bump that up to about 75g and decrease carbs/protein accordingly.