Thread: Gaining it all back

I want to be big :(

Gaining it all back

I was on a pretty regimented lifting program that I began about two years ago. A year ago I made the mistake of stopping, and never resumed again. During the course of my program I made a lot of strength gains; e.g. my dumbbell press has decreased from 2x8x75 to 2x8x45.. barely; my I used to do dips with twenty pound dumbbells between my legs, now I need about 40 pounds of support. And so on. Thinking about it only makes me depressed.

One of my more athletic friends once told me that muscle memory applies in the case of weight liftin, too; ie, that after you make the gains initially, it becomes successively easier to make them in the future. I'm wondering how true this is. In all of W&W's collective wisdom, does anyone know if this is true?

Also, as an aside: I used to do WBB 1 and 2 they worked pretty well for me. How do they compare to other programs such as 5x5?

Also, as another aside: what are great snacks that can serve as meals when I am at work? Would MetRx/EAS protein bars be a good idea, or should I have something more substantial?

I've been sidelined with an injury for over 5 months so when I can get back into lifting seriously I'll let you know how it goes. Till then I feel your pain. It is very depressing going backwards.

I think Starr's 5x5 is superior to WBB 1 or 2, due to more frequency. WBB 1.1 has more frequency than the others, though.

Snacks should never serve as a meal, snacks should be a snack. You definitely need something more substantial than a protein bar as a meal. Besides, you shouldn't have to buy protein bars. You can get the same nutritional value from cheaper foods.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I want to be big :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Snacks should never serve as a meal, snacks should be a snack. You definitely need something more substantial than a protein bar as a meal. Besides, you shouldn't have to buy protein bars. You can get the same nutritional value from cheaper foods.
    Does the same go for meal replacement bars/powders? What can I keep in the work fridge or in my desk that won't take any preparation time?

cans of tuna, pb sandwhich's (no prep. time...stop being lazy), or just canned peanuts...
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Iron man
    Yes, it comes back quite quickly.
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Snacks should never serve as a meal, snacks should be a snack. You definitely need something more substantial than a protein bar as a meal...
    True and not true. True, it probably is better to have something more prepared than a protein bar. But to say that eating a "snack" like a protein bar is not a meal isn't necessarily true. A meal should generally consist of an adequate number of calories, and protein. Some protein bars have 40g of Pro and upwards of 400 Cal. Ya it might be better for you to eat whole foods but it definately falls in line with being called a meal if it meets your nutritional needs for 1 meal. Remember you should be eating 5-6 meals a day. Of course Im not suggesting that it would be good to eat 6 protein bars a day and call those your meals but if you're at work, school, etc. and don't have a more prepared food I would say that a "snack" regardless of quantity can be considered a meal under the assumption that the rest of your meals consist of a more rounded out selection.

Some other quick foods that you can put together or store in the work fridge are:

Nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews...)
    Peanut butter
    Fruit (apple, banana...)
    Whey Pro (mixed with water or milk)
    Hard boiled eggs
    Cottage cheese
    RTD shakes (Ready To Drink)

There are several other items to. Do a search for quick foods. Mix and match these quick food items to get the nutritients that fit your needs.

Strength comes back quick.

I am a perfect example:

2003 July - 300 bench, 400 squat, 500 deadlift
    2003 August - half my body was paralysed and the 'good' half was near useless
    2003 December - 45 bench, 95 squat, 135 deadlift
    2005 May - 284 bench, 360 squat, 484 deadlift.

Now that is the Extreme scenerio, your strength should come back better and fuller
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style