The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How weak am I?

How weak am I?

Just want to know if I am even close to the average human being in what I can lift... the following is not a routine, but just the amount of weight I can do 3 reps of before reaching failure:

Bench Press: 100 x 3

Bicep Curl: 60 x 3 (30 in each hand)

Deltoid Flys: 40 x 3 (20 in each hand)

Assisted Lateral Pullups 80 x 3 (have to put the machine on 80 to assist me)

Shoulder Press: 60 x 3 (30 in each hand)

Assisted Dips 80 x 3

Squats: 85 x 3

Leg Lifts: 140 x 3

Hamstring Curls 40 x 3

Machine Rows 70 x 3

Calf Lifts 140 x 3

Thanks for the evaluation, go easy on me!!!

EC
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-04-2007 at 03:05 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

yeah you are not that strong, but who cares, just keep lifting and eatting right and you'll be stronger in no time. Don't worry about it. Everyone starts some place. No one started off benching 200 pounds.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Time and dedication are key elements to getting stronger. It's gonna take a lot of both. What's your age, height, weight, etc. Depending on your size, those are good starting #'s.
    [7/1/07]__170lbs.--[7/15/07]_177lbs.--[9/23/07]_185lbs.---[10/13/07]_187.5lbs--[10/27/07]_191lbs.--
    [12/1/07]_197lbs.

MY JOURNAL---MY FITDAY
    Bench_235x1---Deadlift_365x1---Squat_???

Banned
    they're low, but who cares? Give it a couple of months and I bet you can add 50% to all of them.

Pretty low all-around, honestly. The fact that you listed so many machines/iso exercises is probably part of the problem. If you're that weak, you don't those exercises right now. You need to be focusing on compounds, and compounds alone: full body three times a week.

I am about as weak as the original poster. It embarrass me a bit because in appearence I look "big" compared to a normal person but I think I am just tall and broad without much muscle substance.

Wannabebig New Member
    On March 1st I started lifting with a friend and could barely rep the bar 12x on the bench. Also, at 185 lbs I needed 140 lbs of assistance for pull-ups and dips. Now I rep 115 on the bench and only need 25~35 lbs of assistance for dips and pull-ups just four months later.

Instead of worrying about what you can lift now, my advice to you is to save your post and look at it in four months and see how you've progressed. If you make great gains it will give you more inspiration to keep up the good work and keep improving. If you don't see any improvement it will send a message to you to get off you arse and work harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    Pretty low all-around, honestly. The fact that you listed so many machines/iso exercises is probably part of the problem. If you're that weak, you don't those exercises right now. You need to be focusing on compounds, and compounds alone: full body three times a week.
    -assisted pullups/dips. Can you do 1pullup or dip?

-machine rows. You should learn barbell/dumbell rows they'll be alot more useful for you.

Do you deadlift?
    Last edited by CiteCollegiale; 07-04-2007 at 05:50 PM.

How did you go from benching 45 lbs to 115 in just 4 months? I've been at weight training for a few years, and have not seen those strength results, although I have seen size gains..

I don't deadlift, thats a subject for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    How did you go from benching 45 lbs to 115 in just 4 months? I've been at weight training for a few years, and have not seen those strength results, although I have seen size gains..

They're called "newb gains", 45 to 115 is not uncommon in beginners. You're doing something very wrong if you've been lifting for a few years and those are your stats.

If you have been lifting for a couple years with those numbers you seriously need to revamp your diet and your routine probably. Post your routine and diet.
    [Journal | My Diet]

Yeah you should definately prioritise deadlifts and add them somewhere if you can. When I started doing them my squats got bigger in no time. The DL also gave me stronger foerarms and a better grip on the bar. Get more compound exercises in there like cleans and stuff.

When I started I was 290lbs, 30% bf and only benching 90 pounds for 5 reps. Two years later, I'm 240 23% and benching 270 for my max.. Just need to eat right, keep your mind on the work ahead of you, and be dedicated..

EDIT: Deadlift has been a great contribution to where my strength is at right now.. Help build my grip and forearms =).. Not to mention it's a great compound workout. Hits your core, helps your stand up strait and it even helped build my biceps to where they are toady =) .
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 07-05-2007 at 05:36 AM.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. You are around where a lot of kids start out as far as maxes. Your numbers will shoot up soon don't worry about it, just keep working hard.

So let me get this straight, you are saying I should just do compound movements, low reps for strength training, and do my entire upper body in one day instead of breaking into shoulder/arms and chest/back ?

So let me get this straight, you are saying I should just do compound movements, low reps for strength training, and do my entire upper body in one day instead of breaking into shoulder/arms and chest/back ?
    Well focus on compound movements, some accessory work is acceptable. Look at a upper/lower split that hits the muscles 2x a week like WBB1.1 or BGB.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Higher reps than 3 though. Almost anything will work at first as long as you are consistent.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

What do you eat everyday?
    [Journal | My Diet]

Average is relative...

My current big 3 would look lie this

335 bench
    495 deadlift
    400 ish (havent maxed in a few months) squat

Thats all relative, neither good nor bad. And I've just started back after a few month hiatus.

I went from benching 205x4 to 315x1 in about 7 months or so... probably a bit less.

Its all about YOU. Lift heavy, eat like a horse and focus yourself on you and your lifts.

Stop the isolations lifts, do heavy compounds and don't do any direct bicep work.

just toss some heavy weight around, eat food, and keep at it. in all honesty, you could jerk off and put 20 pounds on your bench at this point.

your biceps seem disproportionately strong compared to your squat number.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Here is a typical day of shoulder + arm and my diet:

deltoid flys 30 x 8, 30x6 30 x6
    anterior deltoid lifts 15 x 6 15 x 5
    shoulder press 20x8 20x6

bicep curls 60 x 8, 60 x 6
    assisted dips 120 x 8, 120 x6
    assisted pull ups 120 x 8

Breakfast: protein shake (contains 30 gms protein, milk, fruit, celery, oats)
    snack: 2 granola bars + can of tuna
    lunch: whole wheat pasta + shrimp + celery
    snack: turkey sandwich + 2 bottled yogurts
    dinner: protein shake again
    snack: can of tuna + yogurt

I'm assuming compound movements are bench press, squats, and deadlift.. are dips a compound movement? how about incline bench press? dumbell shoulder press? lateral pull ups? What makes something compound? Can I get a list of them?

EC
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-05-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Yes they are. Compound = working multiple muscle groups simultaneously.

Heavy Rows. Use common sense. A curl would not be a compound lift since it works bicep. A lat pulldown would because it hits lats/biceps etc.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Dude 10 months ago I was weaker than you. I probably totaled like 250 in the big 3 (or less). Recently I just hit 300 on deads, 225 on squat, and can probably bench 185 (I do 65 DB 5x5 on an incline... whats the conversion?). In the next 6 months im going to total 1000. Right now im at about 710. Take it slow my friend.

Here is a typical day of shoulder + arm and my diet:

deltoid flys 30 x 8, 30x6 30 x6
    anterior deltoid lifts 15 x 6 15 x 5
    shoulder press 20x8 20x6

bicep curls 60 x 8, 60 x 6
    assisted dips 120 x 8, 120 x6
    assisted pull ups 120 x 8

Breakfast: protein shake (contains 30 gms protein, milk, fruit, celery, oats)
    snack: 2 granola bars + can of tuna
    lunch: whole wheat pasta + shrimp + celery
    snack: turkey sandwich + 2 bottled yogurts
    dinner: protein shake again
    snack: can of tuna + yogurt

I'm assuming compound movements are bench press, squats, and deadlift.. are dips a compound movement? how about incline bench press? dumbell shoulder press? lateral pull ups? What makes something compound? Can I get a list of them?

EC
    That diet is not that bad really, thats wierd you really should have made better gains for a couple years of lifting. Are you getting enough rest?
    What is your usual routine?
    [Journal | My Diet]

yeah man just work hard, i started lifting in grade 9 or 10 and i could only bench like 80 lbs. I just graduated now and i can bench 300x1. You just gotta work hard and eat right and you'll get there.
    Under Construction...