The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Stack, whose legs are those in your avatar? Lavrone?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Stackattack View Post
    Having consumed maintanance for the past 4 months. I have come to the conclusion that its an efficient way to get no where at all.
    Having consumed maintenance for the past year, I concur.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    To prevent this adaptation and compensate by adding raw physical mass?
    Holto says you gain strebgth faster by using the same routine. In the case of Westside, this is a good thing.

So I am a little confused.....I have always read that changing routine .is a good way to force muscles to grow. Is this correct. It seems to make sense that not changing your routine would make you get stronger faster becuase you are doing the same thing all the time your cns like already stated would 'adapt' to the weight and the movement....so the conclusion I am drawing is to gain the most strenghth do the same routine week in/week out.

to gain the most muscle mass-change it up?
    The Commander-in-Chief answers him while chasing a fly
    Saying, "Death to all those who would whimper and cry"
    And dropping a bar bell he points to the sky
    Saying, "The sun's not yellow it's chicken."

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Stack, whose legs are those in your avatar? Lavrone?
    Platz.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Gaskell View Post
    I say yes, based on my own personal experience of course...but like the other person say, it's gonna take a while...it does, i haven't gained much in 6-7 months, but also haven't got fatter. gotten bigger but not fatter, just takes hell of a long time bro ..

Think about it, if you can bench press 150lbs for 9-10 reps eating maintanence, then can do 300lbs for same, over time, u really think you'll still be the same size? i say if your getting stronger and training like a bodybuilder, you'll get there .

Believe in yourself!
    You keep on believin. Hopefully all that belief will fill up those muscles cause food apparently isn't going to and last I checked muskles weren't filled with air.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan View Post
    So I am a little confused.....I have always read that changing routine .is a good way to force muscles to grow. Is this correct. It seems to make sense that not changing your routine would make you get stronger faster becuase you are doing the same thing all the time your cns like already stated would 'adapt' to the weight and the movement....so the conclusion I am drawing is to gain the most strenghth do the same routine week in/week out.

changing your routine? for most people they just aren't eating enough. This is the cure for what ails most "Plateaus" either that or said lifter just isn't pushing hard enough to make progress.

And this is a thread about gaining SIZE.
    You can recomposition. not likely. but you can. that would be a result of a combination of a surplus and deficit shift due to work increse decrease most likely...so no. maintenance is just that. to keep you right the hell where you are at.
    Last edited by Hatred; 07-09-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stackattack View Post
    Having consumed maintanance for the past 4 months. I have come to the conclusion that its an efficient way to get no where at all.
    Exactly, which is what I have told people on this site forever, but nobody wants to listen. Unless your an overly fat, unconditioned newbie to the world of engaging your body in pretty much any physical activity then trying to put on any real muscle while eating at maintenance is a waste of your time (unless your strictly training for health benefits).

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan View Post

Making your muscles go above and beyond on a consisentent basis and then giving them the raw materials and time they take to hypertrophy is a great way to "force muscles to grow" people say stupid **** like "change your routine often to shock growth into your muscles" for two main reasons. The same reasons that people talk about getting bigger and leaner on maintenance calories, because either they dont know any better and/or because THEY WANT IT TO BE TRUE. Everyone thinks there is a secret, something they are missing, a trick or a key that unlocks the growth they see in other people.

Most people here know better. Bodybuilding is no different than anything else in this world, PRINCIPLES not secrets or tricks are they keys to success.
    Last edited by smalls; 07-09-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Why does Westside preach variety?
    In what context?

From a pure physiology standpoint you will become more efficient at a movement by repeating it. Alternating routines is probably the most counterproductive way to train.

I beleive westside has systems where you are doing speed work alternated with ME work using the same movements.

I'd need to know more about what exactly they vary.

Again, strictly from the standpoint of developing a motor program variety does not give any benefit. A motor program is much like a computer program in that it is a series of instructions. (I just threw that in there because I know you code)

When I first his this site many years ago this was probably the most important thing I learned.
    Last edited by Holto; 07-09-2007 at 08:26 PM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    When I first his this site many years ago this was probably the most important thing I learned.
    Interesting. For some reason this entire concept never crossed my mind. So in terms of form and technique, repition = good. "Practice makes perfect" or, more accurately, "practice makes permenent". In terms of hypertrophy, variety = good.
    I know there's a piece of the puzzle I'm missing here because if it was as simple as "do lots of squats and you'll be strong", there wouldn't be programs like Westside. I guess it has to do with the fact you're also trying to build muscle while building strength?

PS Why didn't you come out to the Toronto meet?
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 07-09-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    You keep on believin. Hopefully all that belief will fill up those muscles cause food apparently isn't going to and last I checked muskles weren't filled with air.
    hey, this is me Steven.Gaskell. i screwed my other account

but any way, no no no, i dont need to believe...i use the mirror just to gauge my progress. sorry it doesnt work for u, but for me it does .. im sorry you can't come to grips with that

are you telling me that when i put a inch on my legs in 1 yr, that im ''believin'' it to be true?

Anyway, good luck!
    Last edited by Pers102; 07-10-2007 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pers102 View Post

but any way, no no no, i dont need to believe...i use the mirror just to gauge my progress. sorry it doesnt work for u, but for me it does .. im sorry you can't come to grips with that

are you telling me that when i put a inch on my legs in 1 yr, that im ''believin'' it to be true?

Anyway, good luck!
    Excerpt from Member Guidelines
    "9. Multiple accounts - One account per person."

Good luck and GodSpeed!

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pers102 View Post

Anyway, good luck!
    If you are gaining weight, be it fat or muscle, then you are by definition eating above maintenance.

Maintenance is defined as the amount of calories you need to consume to stay right at your current weight.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Interesting. For some reason this entire concept never crossed my mind. So in terms of form and technique, repetition = good.
    Yes. I should have mentioned that your body only develops motor programs for movements it performs frequently.

"Practice makes perfect" or, more accurately, "practice makes permenent".
    Absolutely. In fact, all the little set up movements can improve a motor program. The way you step up to the equipment, the way you unrack a barbell, it all is part of developing a good motor program. Watch powerlifters and all the rituals they use.

In terms of hypertrophy, variety = good.
    A big NO here. Being stronger and lifting heavier stimulates more hypertrophy. Variety is something preached in Muscle & Fitness. The faster you gain strength on compound lifts the faster you gain mass.

I know there's a piece of the puzzle I'm missing here because if it was as simple as "do lots of squats and you'll be strong"
    I believe it is just that simple. The way people train today is heavily influenced by magazines and personal trainer lore. If it was as easy as picking a compound lift for all your major muscle groups people wouldn't need trainers etc. (& it is that easy)

The media uses fear to increase consumption of products and services. Fear that you are not training effectively, or changing your routine enough, fear that you aren't getting Xyx2.0 amino acids.

I've never met anyone that has done lots of squats that wasn't strong.

PS Why didn't you come out to the Toronto meet?
    Chronic pain syndrome had me sidelined for 8 months.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------