Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Big on Maintenance Calories Possible?

Wannabebig Member

Getting Big on Maintenance Calories Possible?

Alright I have searched but I was not able to find what I wanted. I have currently been lifting about 3 months now. Im 6ft tall and weigh aprox 167 pounds. I am not sure my BF% due to me not ordering a caliper yet but I would guess it would be in the low teens. Now what I have been wondering is if I continued to eat my maintenance calories for maybe another 9 months would I be able to see significant gains in muscle? More or less is is possible to turn what I currently have into mostly muscle? Some people on here have said before that 160-170 pounds for someone who is 6ft is on the skinny side but honestly I do not look skinny...I look medium I would say. I have been thinking about starting a clean slow bulk but before I did that I just wanted to see what you guys would say about this topic. Or is bulking the only option? Also, when someone says that they want to maintain the their current weight but drop BF% how do they go about doing this....what I mentioned? Thanks.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    No, you're not going to get big on maintenance. You can go through body recomposition and lean out if your diet is spot on, but eating above maintenance is what gets you big.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    No, you're not going to get big on maintenance. You can go through body recomposition and lean out if your diet is spot on, but eating above maintenance is what gets you big.
    So with a spot on diet and a good routine I could become leaner and better looking but not necessarly bigger?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    ^^

Yes. But it's pretty dang hard to gain muscle while cutting fat. It can be done, but not at a very quick rate and your genetics come into play here. At your height and weight I'd suggest bulking above maintenance for a while to pack on some muscle and then cut the fat later on to reveal all your hard work.

What are your goals?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 07-04-2007 at 11:22 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    It looks like his goals are to slowly recompose. Whoshot, are you tracking your diet now?
    Yes I am

slow and steady bro....keep your cals low.......just at maint...train hard, eat and rest...pefrecto!

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyk View Post
    slow and steady bro....keep your cals at levels to support gains.......at non ******ed levels...train hard, eat and rest...pefrecto!
    I changed two minor details, but thats just my take.
    Complication breeds desperation.

You did whatr? Nevermind,,,not importtn as long as you kow what to do......just dont fall into the 40000k trap...YOU DONT NEED 1.4 THAT MANY!! TRUST ME....I'm gowning, on Hrt, with a fast metabolism and nor cardio at about 1-2lbs a week but who the hell cares, Im getting tronger everything in!!!

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Gowning? On HRT?

Getting big on maintenance?

Let me put it like this.

Can you build a brick wall 8 ft tall and 10ft long with only enough bricks and mortar to build a 6 ft wall that's 8 ft long?

Of course you can't. You can't build something from nothing.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I say yes, based on my own personal experience of course...but like the other person say, it's gonna take a while...it does, i haven't gained much in 6-7 months, but also haven't got fatter. gotten bigger but not fatter, just takes hell of a long time bro ..

Think about it, if you can bench press 150lbs for 9-10 reps eating maintanence, then can do 300lbs for same, over time, u really think you'll still be the same size? i say if your getting stronger and training like a bodybuilder, you'll get there .

Believe in yourself!
    Last edited by Steven.Gaskell; 07-07-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Strength does not necessarily translate to size AT ALL. Strength is Neural adaption more then anything.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

So how do i get bigger, by getting weaker? diet is important too, but key is getting bigger, not fatter...which is what i do..just wishing the guy good luck. think positive is the way to do it

it's my belief..when i am training, and getting stronger, and train like a bodybuilder i will get bigger..your using your body, and it's responding ..so it's a priority to build muscle, if my nutrition /calories weren't adaqute i wouldnt keep on getting consistent results and bigger..your not doing something where realatively less muscle mass is required ie. running a marathon.. im not starving, so growth occurs. it works for me anyway, just takes really long..but easy to maintain

Some of this might sound like bull**** and probably is but it works for me....this guy just needs to find what works for him too
    Last edited by Steven.Gaskell; 07-07-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Gaskell View Post
    I say yes, based on my own personal experience of course...but like the other person say, it's gonna take a while...it does, i haven't gained much in 6-7 months, but also haven't got fatter. gotten bigger but not fatter, just takes hell of a long time bro ..

Think about it, if you can bench press 150lbs for 9-10 reps eating maintanence, then can do 300lbs for same, over time, u really think you'll still be the same size? i say if your getting stronger and training like a bodybuilder, you'll get there .
    by definition you can't gain weight on maintenance cals. If you didn't gain weight and "got bigger", then either you gained fat, which is less dense than muscle, or you leaned out, which can give you the appearance of being bigger.
    And yes, I do think you can stay the same size while increasing strength. Powerlifters do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    by definition you can't gain weight on maintenance cals. If you didn't gain weight and "got bigger", then either you gained fat, which is less dense than muscle, or you leaned out, which can give you the appearance of being bigger.
    And yes, I do think you can stay the same size while increasing strength. Powerlifters do it all the time.
    100% true! but powerlifters train not like a bodybuilder. so training style is very important, otherwise the 1000lb+ deadlifters should be absolute mammoths compared to the big pro bodybuilders. so obviously not JUST about strength alone. but i know if i can barbell curl 100lb for 6-8 with perfect form then eventually can do 140 or 150lb, with same form i will have bigger arms. otherwise i could it without even training or very little..and i can't
    Last edited by Steven.Gaskell; 07-07-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven.Gaskell View Post
    100% true! but powerlifters train not like a bodybuilder. so training style is very important, otherwise the 1000lb+ deadlifters should be absolute mammoths compared to the big pro bodybuilders. so obviously not JUST about strength alone. but i know if i can barbell curl 100lb for 6-8 with perfect form then eventually can do 140 or 150lb, with same form i will have bigger arms. otherwise i could it without even training or very little..and i can't
    the 1000lb+ deadlifters are absolute mammoths compared to the bodybuilders, they just have a high bf %. I would venture to say they have more muscle mass than a BBer, they just don't show it.

the 1000lb+ deadlifters are absolute mammoths compared to the bodybuilders, they just have a high bf %. I would venture to say they have more muscle mass than a BBer, they just don't show it.
    Definitely possible, Some of the guys I lifted with were in the 307 weight class, sure they were 20-25% BF but that still means 240lbs+ of LBM at 5'7" 5'8"
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

This got me thinking. RIGHT NOW, my maintenance is 2500, but as I get older, doesn't my metabolism as well as my needed maintenance cals go DOWN? Meaning I can actually get bigger by eating maintenance if I keeping eating and wait until I get older?

Quote Originally Posted by HighSchoolGuy View Post
    This got me thinking. RIGHT NOW, my maintenance is 2500, but as I get older, doesn't my metabolism as well as my needed maintenance cals go DOWN? Meaning I can actually get bigger by eating maintenance if I keeping eating and wait until I get older?
    You are still in high school. I wouldnt worry about that for MANY MANY years. At least another decade.

If you keep adding LBM, then your maintenance cals will go up.

Somebody explain how your muscles learn to recruit more fibers faster which makes them "stronger" without necessarily making them larger.

Neural adaption. Your CNS adjusts to heavy loads. Hence why powerlifters train heavy with low reps on ME days. Also do a lot of lockouts to get used to holding the heavy weight.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Somebody explain how your muscles learn to recruit more fibers faster which makes them "stronger" without necessarily making them larger.
    Your brain tells your muscles to contract by conveying a neurological impulse to the motor units that control the individual fibers. Your body makes these motor units become more efficient at doing their job by developing a motor program which is stored in your motor cortex. This is why you actually gain strength faster by not changing your routine.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    This is why you actually gain strength faster by not changing your routine.
    Why does Westside preach variety?
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 07-08-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Why does Westside preach variety?
    To prevent this adaptation and compensate by adding raw physical mass?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Having consumed maintanance for the past 4 months. I have come to the conclusion that its an efficient way to get no where at all.
    Last edited by Stackattack; 07-09-2007 at 07:34 AM.