Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious questions (dont click if you dont want to hear religion debates)

A common misconception about the Big Bang is that it occured at a time or place. This is incorrect, since neither space nor time existed before the event.

Best guesses have the original singularity sharing a similar topology to a black hole; but the comparison is like comparing a black hole to a supernova.

As far as why or how, most things I've read seem to implicate quantum-mechanical activity, in that the whole thing just kinda sprang into being due to a random quantum fluctuation. This event would have occured in an n-dimensional space, the properties of which we haven't even begun to theorize about.

M-theory is so lovely.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Just randomly, were the cells put so perfectly together to make life possible. Randomly, everything just fell into place...

No offense, I find that incredibly insane.

Ditto

There's no sense arguing over what's sane or isn't sane. Maybe we're the insane ones because we think linearly, and only inside the narrow shell of experience we've been given.

Sanity is very respective of one's frame of reference.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

It's not logical either. So my point still stands. Both sides should shut up fighting over it.

Of course.

My final say on the subject: With learning, motion is always better than stagnation. To me, science represents motion. While it may not have all the answers now, I am confident that it will at some point. To me, religion is stagnation-- this is how things are, and that is all there is to it. Until that changes, I will always follow science first.

Female-anatomy professor Lonestrbeer's Avatar
    I agree.
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

That's your misunderstanding of religion, I suppose. It is not stagnant, if you are spiritually thirsty.

There are far more than two sides to the debate.

Every religion has at least one creation story and while scientists may agree on the basic idea of a big bang, there are disagreements in the nitty gritty details.

That being said, there are important questions like "why are we here?", "what is the purpose of our life" "who or what gave rise to it all" that our emotions demand answers to.

The only credible answer to those questions is that we don't really know? But that fact gives most people anxiety which is why we turn to something more warm and fuzzy.

The real domain of religion is psycho-self therapy. Scientific validity is not exactly one of the strong points of most religions.

After all, the world is not flat and pi is not equal to 3.0
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Science will never come to a concenus(sp?) on things. I mean look at the weather a few years ago they said we're in an ice age, then they said nope we're in global warming all along, now I heard a report last week where we were never heaed towards global warming. Then scientist says eggs are bad, then they say ok have one and the list goes on. Science is also contridicting itself.

Originally posted by Muscle4Christ
    That's your misunderstanding of religion, I suppose. It is not stagnant, if you are spiritually thirsty.
    Spirituality isn't, no. Religion is. I'm making a definite distinction between the two terms here.

The bible answers those questions hemants. Christians believe that our purpose in life is to fullfill God's plan for us.

I agree that spiritual enquiry does not have to be stagnant.

In fact, if you are truly spiritually thirsty then you will see that all religions basically say the same things when you abstract away the packaging.

It's those people who obsess on the packaging that stagnate.

That being said, the most mystical people I have met are physicists who are able to cast aside man made theories and religious ideas and really wonder at the cosmos with a child like curiosity.

It's not the science, it's the television shows and magazines that pay for people "scientists" to give them juicy information so they can cause controversy and produce even more amazing articles or programs to sell to the ignorant.
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

"I'm making a definite distinction between the two terms here."

And that is?

Spirituality is the internal faith and religion is simply the 'guidlines' for your faith.

"The bible answers those questions hemants. Christians believe that our purpose in life is to fullfill God's plan for us."

Yes, the author of the bible has theorized one such purpose. So too have authors of many religious and psychological books throughout history.

But that doesn't make it true. If it works for you then the proof is in the pudding I suppose; just know that your pudding has never been placebo tested

Spirituality is that which religion seeks to evoke-- the personal, intimate relationship between the person and *insert deity/force*.

Religion, as said, is the set of rules, behaviors, dogma, and holy texts designed to evoke that connection.

I'm all for #1. But the latter can go blow goats as far as I'm concerned.

"It's not the science, it's the television shows and magazines that pay for people "scientists" to give them juicy information so they can cause controversy and produce even more amazing articles or programs to sell to the ignorant."

I disagree. Only mag. and tv prodcuers/editors pay their own writers to make up stories. Or tabloids if you will. Scientist do there own research.

"Science will never come to a concenus(sp?) on things."

This is not a valid extrapolation. Note the difference between the following two statements:

1. There are some things which science has not come to concensus on.

2. Science will never come to a concencus on things.

It's like saying that since the bible was wrong about the earth being flat, it must be wrong about everything which is not true. There are some geographical details that the bible got correctly

placebo tested? Wha?

Ok...or they find someone that may do the research they WANT you to hear. Most prestigious scientists know not to make any kind of assumptions, they wait until they are absolutely positive to publish their findings.

Uh science will never come to a concencus on anything. I stand by my statement b/c I have no clue to what your saying or getting at hemants.

Placebo testing :

George read the bible and started following the teachings of love and it made a huge positive impact on his life; George was convinced of the "truth" in the bible.

Rizwan read the koran and started following the teachings of love and it made a huge positive impact on his life. Rizwan was now convinced of the "truth" of the koran.

On the planet Zetok, Kazoo came across a copy of the Bhagavad Gita but as an experiment, took the word Krishna and replaced it with Alkaton and instead of Krishna being humanoid, turned Alkaton into a 5 legged, one eyed creature. Zerbok read this modified version of the Gita, a document about surrendering to noble action, and it made a positive impact on his life. Zerbak was as convinced as ever that this Gita was the truth.

Get it?
    Last edited by hemants; 03-04-2002 at 01:33 PM.

Yeah those published studies are the ones im talking about. Because thats the only ones I ever hear about.