The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Religious questions (dont click if you dont want to hear religion debates)

Mainly christians....I myself am not religious and dont have ties to any religion

I want you to attempt to explain to me how christians believe that Jesus was the son of god, but at the same time he is also god. We recently came upon this topic in my western civ class and it just makes no sense to me. Although christians today may not believe that, when christianity first started around 66 A.D. they believed that Jesus was the son of God, but at the same time he was god. Also the fact that Jesus himself preached that he was not only the son of god, but also god, makes absolutely no sense to me.
    BMF member

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,no one but ourselves can free our minds." - Bob Marley

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

what confuses me is God is omnipotent right?

and jesus is his son. but then to avoid hell, if you follow jesus, then you will be saved from god's wrath.

jesus=god aside....wouldn't that make God no longer omnipotent?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

GetnBigr, the idea behind this is what as known as the holy trinity. God basically exists in 3 parts, father, son, holy spirit. This trinity is what makes it possible for Jesus to be both the son of God and God.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Re: Religious questions (dont click if you dont want to hear religion debates)

Originally posted by G-B
    Although christians today may not believe that, when christianity first started around 66 A.D. they believed that Jesus was the son of God, but at the same time he was god. Also the fact that Jesus himself preached that he was not only the son of god, but also god, makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Christians still DO belive it. Nobody DOES understand, but all DO belive. And it is called the Holy Trinity (Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit).
    And it's pretty much like the idea, that your meal is made up by carbs, protein and fat. These three things give the whole. That way, even if you only take protein, it IS a meal.
    So, Jesus (the Son) IS God. Hope it made clear a bit.
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

I am sorry...call me an idiot but it still doesnt make sense to me. How can Jesus, who was in human form...be the human son of god? But then later in his life he proclaims that he IS god...

Sorry...I know some of you have explained it...but it still does not make sense to me
    BMF member

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,no one but ourselves can free our minds." - Bob Marley

I don't think it will ever make sense to you, and that includes myself.

G-B, it's all right.
    NOBODY. I mean NOBODY does understand it. Not even the Pope!
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

As pup said he exists in three parts but it is beyond humna coprehention if we try to understand this concept.

You can think of Jesus, God and the holy spirit as a egg.
    The shell is the holy spirit, the white part is God and the yolk is Jesus.
    Three in one.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I always thought jesus and god were 2 seperate beings. But talking about this is pointless. Non-religious people don't get it, and they don't want to understand it no matter how much they say they do they don't and thats why discussing religion with non-religious people is pointless. But there is the infamous 1% that are openminded about the topic but thats extremely rare.

The holy trinity consists of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. They are all the same but different. I know, it doesn't seem to make sense. But, from a Christian point of view, just because it isn't possible for you and I to do or understand it, doesn't mean it isn't possible.

To answer Tryska, in the Old Testament God promised his followers a messiah to deliver them from sin. He sent his son (also himself, yeah I know, its hard to believe) down to earth in human form as a "perfect sacrifice" so that everyone could be saved. So God is still omnipotent because it's not like Jesus overpowered him to save people.

From a Christian point of view (at least my point of view) God wants as many people as possible to be saved. That is why he is eager to forgive.

But I'm no theoligan or a fundamental Christian. =)
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

You must also understand that not everything in the bible is to be taken at face value. God refers to his word as a "sword" in battle, to be used against foes. This doesn't mean cutting someone's head off ninja style if they disagree with you being a Christian.

But as far as Jesus being God, it is because of the Trinity. The being that created existance is God (there are many forms to many different people). Because the being, whatever type of entity, could create from nothing but the will to. So why is it hard to understand that God could create man, in the image of himself as the bible states, and send Jesus as both a piece of man and God. Let's also not forget what scripture says about the men bewildered at Jesus, who could control the waters and winds. It was not until miracle events, did people start looking beyond the "human" body. The human body... man is created in the "image" of God.

No man can heal with a touch. No man in the flesh is perfect. As Jesus said himself, Why do you call me (the man in the flesh) good? None are good but the father in Heaven.

It is because we take things at face value, and often fail to look deeper in. The problem with most classes like the one you are in is that they pick one part of the book and try to analyze it. You can read pieces and parts of scripture, but may never grasp the total meaning of it until a time after. If you're going to analyze it, do so with all points compiled.

Many of those people who claim they are athiests try to arm themselves with logical responses with only portions of the Bible, never really taking the time to delve any further than the one sentence that seems to contradict itself, when in fact, it would not had they read all.
    Last edited by Muscle4Christ; 03-01-2002 at 10:36 PM.

John 1:1-In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Jesus=the Word
    if Jesus= the Word then the Word who was with God also was God. Jesus was there in the begining before the earth was made. he was and still is part of the God head, the father, son and holy spirit.
    This is our current government keeping the peace.

vote Edwards for president

Female-anatomy professor Lonestrbeer's Avatar
    Personally, I'm agnostic. I've taken multiple religion classes and I believe that written works of Religion are meant to be interpreted, not at all literally, but figuratively. If anyone has read Gilgamesh, the epic, you would be able to see the correlation between the writings before 'Christ' and after. The flood, the 'Eden,' the serpent, etc. They all tie in together which convinces me that each person should read and interpret what they may for their own reasons...one can look to anything as their "Jesus," but all in all, it's the exact same thing. Humans need something to explain existence, and if science doesn't merit that, then they turn to religion or otherwise. Don't get me wrong here, religion is a great thing, and I'm an advocate, but I find my own reason for living within myself and others, not in a book or in a description given by any writing. Everyone needs something to fall back upon at a given notice, those who don't, fail at life or end it. For some, it is family...for others, material objects...whatever.
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

My own interpretation has been that Christ was the Son of God--- by example.

Christ lived by and preached a set of principles based on love, compassion, and forgiveness. If I must find meaning in Christian faith, this is it-- that to live as Christ is to be divine.

I find no divinity in Christ as a person. I cannot logically reconcile the Christian faith as laid out in the King James Bible. If I can't logically explain something, I don't buy it.

However, the Essene gnostic interpretation (which I outlined above) makes wonderful sense. Too bad most will never hear of it.

To Bishop Spong,

Love,

PowerMan
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Female-anatomy professor Lonestrbeer's Avatar
    That's what I'm talkin about! From the head and heart.

Oh, if anyone wants to get a little laugh, try reading Kant's 3 postulates "proving" the existence of God...they are quite amusing.
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

I think all points have been covered in this thread so far... Just to clarify something though. Tryska you mentioned the wrath of God. Granted, He is wrathful, but in the Old Testament is where He was considered wrathful. However, in the New Testament, He is not seen as much that way. That is why He sent His son.... to SAVE us! The New Testament I think is viewed as more liberal and this is where the ideas of Grace, Forgiveness, Salvation and other plans He has for His people.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Re: Religious questions (dont click if you dont want to hear religion debates)

Originally posted by G-B
    Mainly christians....I myself am not religious and dont have ties to any religion

I want you to attempt to explain to me how christians believe that Jesus was the son of god, but at the same time he is also god. We recently came upon this topic in my western civ class and it just makes no sense to me. Although christians today may not believe that, when christianity first started around 66 A.D. they believed that Jesus was the son of God, but at the same time he was god. Also the fact that Jesus himself preached that he was not only the son of god, but also god, makes absolutely no sense to me.

I am not trying to sound like a smart ass, but your dilema here is you're trying to make sense out of christinaity. The religeon is full of contradictions, and the way that christians prove all of their arguments is by saying that the bible says so, that's why.

Re: Re: Religious questions (dont click if you dont want to hear religion debates)

Originally posted by Mr.Anonymous

I am not trying to sound like a smart ass, but your dilema here is you're trying to make sense out of christinaity. The religeon is full of contradictions, and the way that christians prove all of their arguments is by saying that the bible says so, that's why.
    The reason we are doing that in this thread, is because we were asked to explain how Jesus was God's son. So tell me, if God does not exist, what created the sun, the world... the galaxies? What created the elements that created the sun, the world, the galaxies? Go to the roots of existance, and prove it with science.

Obviously we have a beginning and a Creator at some level. These things that formed the universe did not just appear, did they? What created the atoms neccessary to make such theories today sound 'logical'? Another problem with scientific and logical responses is that it cannot provide an answer to the clumpiness of the universe. When we look into galaxies beyond our own, we find that stars are not evenly distributed, but rather, seperated into "walls", or "voids". Science and logic is yet to be able to explain what the root of these foam like structures is. Where did they come from? What made them? The universe has been perfectly fine-tuned for living conditions here. What made this possible? You can pull many scientific theories out, but what made these theories possible?

To quote: If creationism is deemed scentific, America will respect it.

Why should science and logic be the end-all to the answers of the Universe, when even scientists will claim they cannot actually prove that the Earth and Universe was not created by an entity more complex than our own theories or methods can explain?

You put your "faith" in science and logic. But it cannot prove the progen of the Universe. We put our "faith" in a higher entity, though we cannot prove it's existance save for testomonies, which are almost the same as theories. Both provide some sort of answer, but neither can be 100% merited as accurate under 'logical' belief. So why is it so absurd, now?
    Last edited by Muscle4Christ; 03-02-2002 at 09:56 AM.

so if it's all the Word of God...hoe come to different version of God, only one being applicable?

oh and God Bless the Gnostics.

The way I look at it, God gave us science. I don't believe in that whole "man is the only creature capable of reason" nonsense. But humans are the smartest creatures on the planet. The way I look at it, God gave us science. Science is a tool, and just like any other tool, you can do good or bad with it.

Obviously, the Bible isn't meant to be taken entirely literally. Just as a poem has metaphors and such, so too does the Bible. The problem is Christiand divide amongst themselves trying to figure out which is literal and which is figuritive and I think that misses the point.

I read the Epic of Gilgamesh for my Ancient Near East class when we studied Babylonia, Assyria, and other lands of that region so I can see lonestrbeer's point. They now know that "the Great flood" (as in the Noah) was very likely a real event.
    Obviously, Christianity was influenced by other religions and cultures. Judaism was the primary influence but other religions such as zoroastrianism touched on it as well (the 3 wise men, themagi, from the story of Christmas were likely zoroastrians). And the virgin birth was a common way for messiahs to be born.

I also don't rely solely on the King James version of the Bible. To be honest, I think it would be best for Christians to, when possible, learn Hebrew and Ancient Greek and read the Bible in the most original version possible, just as followers of Islam learn to read the Koran (sp?) in it's original version. But many Christians would disagree with me on that.

If you look at the main religions of the world...Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, and (at least in the West) Judaism, you will see that there are a few prevailing beliefs or philosophies that exist throughout. God gave us the ten commandments, but when Jesus' followers asked him what the main commandments were he said to hold God above all others. He said, other then that to do unto others as you'd have done unto you. That last sentence is what is known as the Golden Rule. If there is a truth in this world, religion or no religion, I believe that is it. Provided whoever the "you" is isn't some sort of masacist.

Like Muscle4Christ, I don't believe the Bible is entirely literal. Because of that I do not see it conflicting with science. In fact, one of the things that reaffirm my faith in God is when I see how the cells of the body work right down from the ions and atoms, through the organelles, the cells, the tissue, all the way up until they work in unison to create a living being. Looking at all of the things in science, I find it hard to believe that such a universe could exist without a supreme diety having a hand in it all.

Hey, has anyone ever seen that movie Dogma?

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

loved it.

That is one of my all time favorite movies.

My Journal

me too. that, and barbarella.

I never saw barbarella. Is that somewhat like Dogma?

My Journal

I see religions as cultist factions of mindless people who think humans somehow hold a special position in the universe.

It is my personal belief that religions will disappear as people become more knowledgeable about their world, and our (insignificant) place in the grand scheme of the universe. Give it a couple hundred years, and Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, etc. will be ancient history. All these religions have brought more blood and suffering upon the world than the good it has provided to people.