The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    ******ed n00b

Question from a Complete Beginner

I was read a lot of the site before asking these silly questions and I searched for answers to my questions so instead of wasting any more time I'll just ask the questions.
    Okay I know have have to do 3 sets of 8-15 reps of things in order to build muscle. But how heavy should the weights I lift be?
    I'm on the fat side and I'm currently doing about an hour of cardio every day during the week but I haven't seen any results all summer. I thought I'd try something different and would appreciate any kind of help offered!

5'7 170lbs here (all fat)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lift as much as you can to hit 8 reps on each set for any given exercise. The last 2-3 reps should feel very tough but you should be able to do em with good form. If it feels to light, add more weight, if it feels too heavy and you cannot complete the reps you want then obviously lower the weight.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    yeah dude you def need to lift. if you just run and do cardio its going to eat the fat, but, its going eat your muscle too. and muscle eats fat. and DIET diet is the key to everything. i tryed just doing cardio to lose fat and it did not work either, so im telling you from experience and reading and from other people, LIFT, DIET, and do CARDIO. if you got any questions just ask me and ill try to help you out with whatever

Cardio is not going to "eat the fat".

Some HIIT a few times a week or Solid State cardio post workout might not be a bad idea. The caloric deficit you create through cardio is a joke compared to what is done with diet manipulation.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Don't do cardio every day. Get your diet in check, track using www.fitday.com and lift as heavy as you can.

indomitable will.
    Okay I know have have to do 3 sets of 8-15 reps of things in order to build muscle.
    Actually, a rep range of 1-20 can be useful for building muscle, as can any number of sets (within reason, of course). 4x6 is popular, 5x5 as well. 3x8-15 is fine, though. Generally you'll probably want to stay in the 4-12 rep range most of the time.

But how heavy should the weights I lift be?
    If your goal is to do 8 reps with a weight, it should be a weight that allows you to use perfect form for all 8 reps and that you could probably not do more than 9 or 10 reps with. 8 would either be the last rep you could perform with good form, or a rep or two away from that.

Echo.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Echoooooooooooo.

Don't worry Unholy... I heard it too
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

lol thats pretty funny. Im not hearing anything though. Never mind my speakers wasnt turned up

Quote Originally Posted by abefroman35 View Post
    yeah dude you def need to lift. if you just run and do cardio its going to eat the fat, but, its going eat your muscle too. and muscle eats fat. and DIET diet is the key to everything. i tryed just doing cardio to lose fat and it did not work either, so im telling you from experience and reading and from other people, LIFT, DIET, and do CARDIO. if you got any questions just ask me and ill try to help you out with whatever
    This is where that thing Deeder suggested would come in handy.
    And abefroman, hold off on any advice giving for a while bro. You have a lot of learning to do.