Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Rx #4: Bar Positioning and Squat Depth

Squat Rx #4: Bar Positioning and Squat Depth

Squat Rx #4: Bar Positioning and Squat Depth
    How to position the bar on your back correctly and find an appropriate depth are discussed.

Video
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Another great video. Speech was much better this time around too. damn I love your gym
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Thanks Sensei, that was great.

PS I like your shirt

Weaker
    As a squat jockey, it always puts a smile on my face when a video is made about squatting, awesome work

As said above, speech is definitely better, don't think i heard any erm's and err's.

Where is that gym? Do you own it?
    Last edited by Portboy; 07-07-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

Thanks.

I just started doing low-bar squats, and my shoulder bones on either side are sore from the bar resting on them. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I know the bar is supposed to rest on the rear delts, and when I do the squats, it does, but its also resting on the shoulder bone seems unavoidable as I have a small build and small rear delts.

Thanks Sensei. Maybe it's a good thing I can't squat right now. It gives me a chance to watch all these vids and make sure my form is perfect before I hit them up again.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Great job again Sensei.

Thanks Sensei. Very very good speech.

Quote Originally Posted by noahfor123 View Post
    Thanks.

I just started doing low-bar squats, and my shoulder bones on either side are sore from the bar resting on them. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I know the bar is supposed to rest on the rear delts, and when I do the squats, it does, but its also resting on the shoulder bone seems unavoidable as I have a small build and small rear delts.
    It sounds like you are losing upper back tightness and that could definately allow the bar to rub on your scapulae. Same thing as in the video, but here it is in a nutshell again:
    *Head back
    *Chest out
    *Hands as close together as comfortable
    *Upper back flexed
    *Pull the elbows forward

I would lower the reps for a while too - no matter what, it's going to be hard to maintain tightness with higher reps. As you get used to it though, it should be easier to maintain with higher weights and for higher reps.

edit: btw, upper back and ab work never hurt anyone's squat either.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-07-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Thanks for the help. I probably lost tightness because I was using as wide a grip as possible because that's what I had seen other people doing.

Awesome!
    I seem to be doing a low bar squat and slipping sometimes seems to be a problem. Im definitely going to bring the bar up.

Ive seen videos of lifters using extremely wide stances, what is the benefit of doing so?

wider the stance more outter quads you work as well with outter glutes and more hams if im not mistaken correct me if Im wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Ive seen videos of lifters using extremely wide stances, what is the benefit of doing so?
    It forces you to use hams, glutes and hips more. It also allows you to reduce the distance the bar has to travel and to sit way back in your squat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSmith22 View Post
    wider the stance more outter quads you work as well with outter glutes and more hams if im not mistaken correct me if Im wrong.
    oh god use puntuaction.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    It forces you to use hams, glutes and hips more. It also allows you to reduce the distance the bar has to travel and to sit way back in your squat.

oh god use puntuaction.
    sorry about that I will try to do better next time.

Great video Sensei. Thanks for posting it.

So, would you reccomend high bar or low bar for people hitting atg.

If the Hips are traveeling further back in a low bar does this not make it more difficult to hit full depth?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    So, would you reccomend high bar or low bar for people hitting atg.
    Like I said in the vid, most people will do full squats with a high bar position.
    If the Hips are traveeling further back in a low bar does this not make it more difficult to hit full depth?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Awesome!
    I seem to be doing a low bar squat and slipping sometimes seems to be a problem. Im definitely going to bring the bar up.
    If you switch to a high bar position, be aware that if you don't squat more upright (than w. low bar) you will be putting A LOT more stress on your lower back. Take your time acclimating to the new bar placement.

Great video ya big weightlifting nerd.

I felt like a **** making my other post in your SquatRX thread, but this is definitely made pretty well. As always, we all appreciate your wisdom on the squat (My personal favorite lift).

And guys, that's Sensei's private gym in his mansion. That's why nobody else is there.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Weaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post

I felt like a **** making my other post in your SquatRX thread, but this is definitely made pretty well. As always, we all appreciate your wisdom on the squat (My personal favorite lift).

And guys, that's Sensei's private gym in his mansion. That's why nobody else is there.
    Nooooo... Seriously?
    Journal

BW: 12st/1168lbs
    Height: 5'9"
    Big hiatus, deciding on new goals...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post

Thanks. It's all right. Like I said, point taken. I appreciate the feedback but I'm getting kind of sick of hearing about it from everyone. I'd rather hear about the content of the videos - the presentation is about as good as it's going to get unless someone's going to pay and/or help me to make them.
    Yes. Well, there's a lot of room in the Wayne Mansion...
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-09-2007 at 06:39 AM.

BTW Sensei, after just watching the Elitefts squat and deadlift dvd, your presentation is a lot more professional.

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    BTW Sensei, after just watching the Elitefts squat and deadlift dvd, your presentation is a lot more professional.
    WOW! Thanks!

Just so it's out there - I loved every WS video I ever bought (the DL training tape, the squat workouts, and the seminar). They certainly weren't high-cost productions, but they were worth their weight in gold. They weren't aimed at novice lifters though and I hope the Squat Rx vids can be helpful to everyone, even guys stepping into the squat racks for the first time.

These squat RX vids have personally taught me to squat all over.

I would have gladly paid for something this informative and this helpful. I have a feeling with the help of these video's I'll be squatting 5+ plates per side to parallel in the near future and without them my form was so bad that 3-4 plates were hard to manage. Its really amazing to see just how much you can be doing wrong, even for someone who's been lifting for a fair amount of time.

Thanks WIBBRL!

Quote Originally Posted by WIBBIRL
    I have a feeling with the help of these video's I'll be squatting 5+ plates per side to parallel in the near future and without them my form was so bad that 3-4 plates were hard to manage. Its really amazing to see just how much you can be doing wrong, even for someone who's been lifting for a fair amount of time.
    Too bad I'm not selling these - otherwise, I'd be putting this on the cover! I appreciate it.