The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

push, pull, leg split

I've been doing a 4-day split for a couple weeks but i wanted to incorperate plyometrics so i was thinking that maybe a push pull leg routine would be a good idea. Then i could add the plyometrics in as well. I'm new to the push pull leg routine but i've came up with something like this:

PUSH:
    bench press
    incline dumbbell press
    military press
    dips
    abs

PULL:
    deadlifts or power cleans
    barbell rows
    pullups
    shrugs
    abs

LEGS:
    squats
    lunges
    calve raises
    abs

also would this be an alright program to gain some size with? I know gaining size has a lot to diet but will this program do the job. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    anybody?

How long have you been working out? have you done that workout at all?

Wannabebig Member
    i used to work out in highschool for football and i stopped for a lil after highschool then picked it up agian. so im not a beginner but im not much more than that either. That workout i put up is jus somethin that i tried to come up with lookin at other routines i've never tried it.

well since your just getting back into it I would take the incline bench out for now. I would also add maybe preacher curls into the pull section. What days were you planning on doing each group of exercises. which one you going to do on the 4th day and do you plan on doing 4 straight day or 2 on 2 off maybe what was your plans? do deadlifts.

Wannabebig Member
    i was planning on doing that 3 days a week like mondayush wednesday: pull and friday: legs. then i was going to do plyometrics on another day. Sorry if i confused you. I said i was doing a 4 day split but i wanted to do plyometrics as well and thought that a 4 day split and plyometrics would be too much. So thats why i want to do a 3 day split and then add plyos on the 4th day. But i wasn't sure what kind of 3 day split i wanted to do so i picked the push pull leg routine because i never tried it before. I hope this clears some stuff up if you were confused.

what is your height and weight goals? how long have your worked out how long did you take off have you every worked out seriously. Give me this information and i might can lead you into a great 3 day routine that i started out on and have started many of my buddies on and all have see great results

Where do the plyo's fit in?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

super bart youve been following the juggernaut around everywere today heh?

Wannabebig Member
    To dsmith22: i'm 5'7 and i weigh around 156 pounds. when i worked out for football it was very serious. like we did the compound lifts: bench, squat, deadlifts, powercleans, the whole 9 yards. After high school football i didnt play college or anything so i said forget working out for about a year. Then i picked it up agian and i full body for about 2 months got tired of that and then i just recently went to a 4 day split but have been slacking big time and i found myself not have worked out for about a week and a half now. i know pathetic and thats where im at. i jus wanted to try something like this push pull leg routine because ive never tried it before and i only wanted to go 3 days a week so i can do some plyometrics on another day.

To BG5150: im not really sure where i was going to put them in thats what i was also hoping to get help on.

well the 3 day workout i was talking about is
    MON-WED-FRI

Bench Press
    Pulldowns or pullups
    deadlifts
    Militart Shoulder Press
    Preacher Curls
    Skull crushers
    Squats

I usually have people do 4-8 weeks with it depending on prior experience and how well they do with that. then after that I add another exercise per body part. For that workout do 3 sets 8-10 rep range. continually adding weight shoot for an extra 5 pounds each week. rest in between sets keep to a minimum 30 seconds at the most. the workout should take no more than an hour 45-hour range. Usually after we add an extra exercise to each body from week prolly for you either 4-8 or 6-10 then i would suggest a split routine maybe 4 days a week. with this 3 day routine I played basketball along with doing this routine and I saw great gains with it both mass and strength wise so adding pylo's woudnt hurt. Still its all up to you but I always recommend that workout to everone just getting back into lifting after a long time off or just getting into lifting period. Let me know what you think?

MON-WED-FRI

Bench Press
    Pulldowns or pullups
    deadlifts
    Militart Shoulder Press
    Preacher Curls
    Skull crushers
    Squats

I usually have people do 4-8 weeks with it depending on prior experience and how well they do with that. then after that I add another exercise per body part. For that workout do 3 sets 8-10 rep range. continually adding weight shoot for an extra 5 pounds each week. rest in between sets keep to a minimum 30 seconds at the most. the workout should take no more than an hour 45-hour range. Usually after we add an extra exercise to each body from week prolly for you either 4-8 or 6-10 then i would suggest a split routine maybe 4 days a week. with this 3 day routine I played basketball along with doing this routine and I saw great gains with it both mass and strength wise so adding pylo's woudnt hurt. Still its all up to you but I always recommend that workout to everone just getting back into lifting after a long time off or just getting into lifting period. Let me know what you think?

MON-WED-FRI

Bench Press
    Pulldowns or pullups
    deadlifts
    Militart Shoulder Press
    Preacher Curls
    Skull crushers
    Squats

if you think you like that and want to know more let me know

Wannabebig Member
    i think that looks like a good workout. Its a fullbody workout right? the thing is i did a fullbody workout at one point liked it but i wanted to try something new like the push pull leg routine but i will give this a try if a decide to go full body. Im just not sure what i wanna do. decisions decisions

the push pull didnt look bad I would take the incline off starting out and add the preacher curl. it still comes down to what you want and like the best. if you believe in your workout it will work for you long as its not all jacked up.

Training
    Well to critique your original routine: abs over worked, add leg curls, and add some type of direct arm exercise.
    Starting over...

no way he is over working abs doing them 3 times a week abs are good in my opinion they are the core of your body and need to be worked. 1 time is deff no enough 2 is close but I think 3 times gets the job done. for tri's he has dips which isnt bad but I agree I think he should throw in some type of curl.

Training
    You do realize that your abdominal muscles are worked with "almost" every movement, correct? It's overkill.
    Starting over...

lol ok now were argueing about this in 2 diff articles.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=99379

Quote Originally Posted by DSmith22 View Post
    MON-WED-FRI

Bench Press
    Pulldowns or pullups
    deadlifts
    Militart Shoulder Press
    Preacher Curls
    Skull crushers
    Squats

this seems to be a variation of Paul Staggs routine, which is:

Squat
    SLDL/RDL
    Bench
    Row
    Pullups
    OH Press

Spend the last 15 minutes,if you really need, on accessory lifts.
    I think this routine is better because you get horizontal/vertical covered in push/pull.

rum soaked derelict
    To be honest, I like your original routine.

If I was going to tweak it I would switch up lunges for RDL. Maybe think about switching the order between pull and push to allow for more time between deadlifts and squats

What are your plans for plyo?

What are you doing for abs?

What kind of set/rep ranges were you planning on working?

Do you have a plan to manage your overload?

Wannabebig Member
    TO: OCEANFIT

Im not to sure what I'm going to do for plyos yet. I did some of them in high school football for summer workouts but don't know what i'm going to do now. any ideas.

As far as abs i usually do weighted crunches and ill do sidebends for obliques and i might mix in a few other exercises if i don't feel like weighted crunches.

For the big three i wanted to do 5X5 or 4X6 and the rest do 3X8 what do you think.

I'm sorry but i don't quite understand what you mean on the last question. haha im dumb.

But the rest of the programs with some of the tweaks you suggested would be a nice program. O yea where should i put the plyos in my schedule. Like what should my week look like. Thanks

if your doing a 3 days a week workout then you can but pylos in tue and wed that is if your not trying to bulk. If your eating like a pig it wont matter if you do them 2 times a day anyway. but it all depends on what you are wanting to accomplish

Wannabebig Member
    I want to bulk up but i think that if i eat enough the plyos wont do much damage.