The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Squat Rx #5: Mobility & Flexibility

Squat Rx #5: Mobility & Flexibility
    Drills, stretches, and exercises to assist hip and hamstring mobility.

Video
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-12-2007 at 09:21 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Thats some good trash Sensei keep up the good work enjoying all the videos any one can learn alot from them whether they just started working out or have been working out for a long time.

i want that shirt...well not that exact shirt...but a shirt like that
    Last edited by motoko013; 07-13-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Thanks DSmith.

Motoko,
    It's one I had made.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Yet another great video Sensei. You plan on doing any videos for movements besides squats?

I feel as though you made that video specifically for me... flexibility is my biggest problem. thank you!

Thanks CoolDrew. No, probably not.

The Champion,
    Thank you!

Sensei? would the knee travel that alot of Oly lifters have be bad for knee health?

I squat with a narrow stance, and its impossible to stop the knees.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Thanks Built and GetFit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Sensei? would the knee travel that alot of Oly lifters have be bad for knee health?

I squat with a narrow stance, and its impossible to stop the knees.
    I don't have a hard answer for you Fuzzy. Plenty of OLers have very healthy knees and some don't - same goes for PLers.

I think as long as you are cycling intensity/volume (in other words, you aren't hammering yourself ALL THE TIME), using good form, don't have pre-existing knee issues, careful about imbalances, etc. you'll probably be fine. BUT, I can't tell you anything without seeing you squat and knowing more about you. Do your knees give you trouble?
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-15-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Thanks Built and GetFit!

I don't have a hard answer for you Fuzzy. Plenty of OLers have very healthy knees and some don't - same goes for PLers.

I think as long as you are cycling intensity/volume (in other words, you aren't hammering yourself ALL THE TIME), using good form, don't have pre-existing knee issues, careful about imbalances, etc. you'll probably be fine. BUT, I can't tell you anything without seeing you squat and knowing more about you. Do your knees give you trouble?
    Had a point were they hurt, but after a deep massage all discomfort was gone, Ive never had knee pain since.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Great vid.Very helpful Sensei
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

After getting my racer certification this weekend on the bike, and barely being able to ride from all the weird leg position and long static stretches, this could easily help tons of motorcycle people. My flexability limits my body position and therefore my technique. This will help me in more then just the weight room. Thanks a lot. Just what I needed.
    Nick V

Great video again Sensei. Very useful for alot of people. One thing that I think would make give the videos a little more professionalism would be at the end just saying some thing like, "This was Squat Rx 5 where we went over hip mobility and flexibility drills and exercises." or something along those lines just to kinda tie off the end so to speak.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Sensei,

These vids are great, especially this one as hip flexibility is a huge issue for me.

Thanks,

Mr J
    Last edited by Mr Joshua; 07-16-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks guys. I'm glad they are helpful. Take things slow ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Great video again Sensei. Very useful for alot of people. One thing that I think would make give the videos a little more professionalism would be at the end just saying some thing like, "This was Squat Rx 5 where we went over hip mobility and flexibility drills and exercises." or something along those lines just to kinda tie off the end so to speak.
    I would Detard, but usually I end up with about 20 minutes of material and it's pretty damn hard to edit it down to the 10mins youtube allows. I usually end up tossing a lot from the videos and sometimes I question whether I chucked the right stuff or not, but oh well. I know a review at the end would be best, but there usually isn't a whole lot of extra time to play with.

I already have the next SQ Rx planned out and it will be "prehab" exercises for hips, knees, and lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I would Detard, but usually I end up with about 20 minutes of material and it's pretty damn hard to edit it down to the 10mins youtube allows. I usually end up tossing a lot from the videos and sometimes I question whether I chucked the right stuff or not, but oh well. I know a review at the end would be best, but there usually isn't a whole lot of extra time to play with.
    Ahh I see. Either way, great videos.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Sweet. When do you think you'll have that next SQ Rx done by? So these things that you'll be going over in the next one will be useful for someone who's trying to catch up to speed following bad knee sprains? Rehabbing to prime my lower body for squats and deads?
    Thanks man. Keep up the good work. Maybe me getting hurt was a good thing because it gave me time to sit back and re-evaluate my squat form and learn it the right way.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    Sweet. When do you think you'll have that next SQ Rx done by? So these things that you'll be going over in the next one will be useful for someone who's trying to catch up to speed following bad knee sprains? Rehabbing to prime my lower body for squats and deads?
    Rehab and prehab are two different things my man. Talk everything over w. a doctor before you start trying to push things. Find your weaknesses and work at them patiently - things that have gotten weak and unstable can take a long time to build back up.
    Thanks man. Keep up the good work. Maybe me getting hurt was a good thing because it gave me time to sit back and re-evaluate my squat form and learn it the right way.
    Thanks!