Thread: calorie counting on treadmill

Continuously Dangerously

calorie counting on treadmill

on treadmills and any other type of cardio machine they usually tell the amount of calories youve (supposedly) burned while using it. how do they come up with these measurements and how accurate are they? i wasnt wearing the pulse meter but according to my treadmill it took me 18 steps @ 3mph to burn like 2 calories.

Wannabebig Member
    It's really an estimate. The general rule I read was that you burn a little over 100 calories per mile.

I don't even think you can make an estimate like that (MWB). It would matter on the person, how much they weigh and such, agreed?

Wannabebig Member
    That's what was on a runner's website. something like 100-130 cals per mile. If you are a big guy, I'd guess closer to 130, smaller closer to 100. It's just a guesstamite to give you an idea.

Everyone is different, it is impossible to estimate that.. There are SOOOOO many different factors in determining this, it would vary from person to person..

Continuously Dangerously
    yeah it does take in your weight.. im between 165-170 (thank you ckd!) and after 4.5 miles it said i had done about ~750 calories.

oh, and i was going at an incline.
    Last edited by codei; 03-03-2002 at 02:20 PM.