Thread: Wicked Headache

Hybrid View

Wicked Headache

Today, while doing lower body workout, I got a wicked headache. I was on my second set of squats and at about rep 4, BAM! It just hit me. My whole head had an intense burning like pain from the middle of my neck all the way around to my forehead.

Now, let me tell you the two things I did differently today that I haven't done before, if it matters.

1. I went at about 11am. I usually workout between 6am -7am.

2. I did my squats truely freeweight. I usually do them on a Smith machine as that was all I had available, but we joined a new Gym today and thy have a couple squat racks.

I do good deep squats, and I *think* my form was good, but I've never felt this before.

Any tips as to what I did wrong or why I felt this way? Could it be diet (usually workout before eating first thing in the AM). This day, I had breakfast first. Needless to day, I'd rather not have it happen again. It almost felt like I was having an embolism or something!

Thanks in advance...

-Tom

PS. After it happend once, it lingered with less intensity with other excersizes.

More information...

OK... here's some additional info, that may or maynot be related. I was just about to take a nap and took my shirt off and my wife says, "Oh MY!", this is normally a good reaction ;-). However, this time, it was because I had a bunch of read marks on my shoulders, like broken blood vessles.

My wife had them, too. We did all the same excersizes, but at different weights.

We thought about it and the two places we could have got them was from squats or the standing calf machine. I'm guessing the squats as that was where I got my headaches.

At my old Gym, I had a very thick shoulder to should pad that I put on the bar for squats. The only one we could find here was only about 1/8" thick and wasn't nearly as wide. Could this be the cause of both problems?

Thanks again...

-Tom

When I got them before, I found that breathing was at fault. Mine happened when I first started squatting free form too and was probably more concerned with form then anything else.. That said, it can be a lot of other things: exertion, diet, tear in a muscle, dehydration.. Found this for you: headaches
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member

See a chiropractor NOW!!!

Have you seen a chiropractor yet??? For me it turned out to be caused by a strained muscle in the back of my neck (over simplification). I was in some SERIOUS pain every time I lifted heavy... legs - bench - - didn't matter what exercise. Just like what you said, about the 4th or 5th rep it started pounding. This persisted and got worse for 2 weeks before I sought out my chiropractor. Also like you it first happenned when I lifted in the afternoon (I'm usually a morning lifter). Coincidence? Who knows. I had a forced 2 week sebatical from training. After seeing him daily for the first week, then 3 or 4 times the following week, I finally got rid of them.
    Make time to eat!

I had a similar problem to Complete Muscle's. Turned out I had a muscle spasm in a muscle in the upper neck that was causing vascular headaches while lifting. So if you think your breathing wasn't the problem I would definetly see a chiropractor...

I get the same red marks from standing calf even though it has big thick pads...happens every weeks, but goes away in a few days. I posted a question abou it a while ago and some said it could be from the stiching in your shirt pressing down on your traps.

Thanks Slim for commenting about the red marks. I failed to mention, that I had always done standing calfs on the smith before for the redmarks appeard. This was the first time I did them on the "machine". It's probably what caused it.

All -

I only do legs once a week (Fridays), so I'll try to concentrate on propper breathing next week and see if that solves the problem. If not, theirs a chiropractor in house at the gym and I'll make an appointment.

I think Breathing could be a factor. I usually breath well, but like I mentioned, this was the first time I did truely free form squats and I was probably concentrating on form so much that I forgot to breath properly.

Thanks to all, and I'll post an update next week...

-T

PS. I'm new to this forum, but I like what I see already... Thanks...